nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #219453
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Thom Hogan Updates Specs on D70" Previous topic | Next topic
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 21-Jan-04 08:24 PM
10873 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Thom Hogan Updates Specs on D70"

US

In a recent post elsewhere, Thom indicates that the newest, semi-official specs were leaked on the 'Net (via a PDF file from unnamed sources). Some surprises include:

30 second to 1/8000 shutter, combined electronic/mechanical, so flash sync is 1/500
    1005-pixel Color CCD Matrix meter
    I-TTL support (up to three wireless groups, flash value lock, ala D2h)
    Capture 4.1

See the latest specs here: http://www.bythom.com/D70.htm

All I can say is: the F5's meter and 1/500 synch??? Oh man, I knew the D100 would get obsoleted, but not like this. Sigh. Time to start counting pennies again.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberWed 21-Jan-04 09:43 PM
18629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Thom Hogan Updates Specs on D70"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Remember, these aren't official...yet...although my mouth is watering...

Anthony

Find out more about me on the Moderator Page
"The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard."

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

WCS Registered since 22nd Jan 2004Thu 22-Jan-04 03:47 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Thom Hogan Updates Specs on D70"
In response to Reply # 1

Albuquerque, US

Does anyone have a copy of the .pdf file they could send my way, or do you have any more details from the file you could share online? Specifically, the buffer was mentioned and that is a pretty valuable piece of info to me. Did the file say how many pics the buffer was supposed to hold in RAW and/or JPEG?

Cal

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 27th Aug 2002Thu 22-Jan-04 03:55 PM
5099 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Thom Hogan Updates Specs on D70"
In response to Reply # 2

Vancouver, CA

Here you go, if this link dies, send me an e-mail. I pasted and copied it into Word.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=7360757

Allan, A Comox Valley Nikonian
Find out more about me on the Nikonians Team Page

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberWed 21-Jan-04 11:08 PM
18629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "D70 Brochures"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Just got off the phone with Nikon USA (1-800 Nikon US)...D70 brochures will be available in 6-10 weeks. I put my name down on the mailing list. Its gonna be a long wait for the "official specs."

The person I spoke with said something to the effect that the D100 is an integral part of Nikon's digital product line and will not be replaced anytime soon (at least as far as he was aware).

Anthony

Anthony

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 27th Aug 2002Thu 22-Jan-04 03:09 AM
5099 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Thom Hogan Updates Specs on D70"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver, CA

Wow,

If this is the D70, can't wait until D2x.

I hope with the D70, they have fixed the White Balance issues, and I hope it produces a great JPEG image, as this is what the target audience is will most likely shoot.

Allan, A Comox Valley Nikonian
Find out more about me on the Nikonians Team Page

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

recalcitrantron Registered since 26th Dec 2003Thu 22-Jan-04 07:52 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "Not So Fast Apparently"
In response to Reply # 5

Roseville, US

Thom has pulled the info from his site at Nikon's request and advisement that some of the information might be innaccurate.

http://www.bythom.com/D70.htm

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Ro

"There's no dumb ass vaccine" so just roll
with it!

Ron

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberThu 22-Jan-04 09:02 AM
#7. "RE: Not So Fast Apparently"
In response to Reply # 6

Rancho Cordova, US

I really am thinking that the F5's metering system is a bit much, I'm more inclined to believe it's Nikon's 25 segment Matrix metering, myself. The relatively large buffer for an "entry level" camera is also suspect, IMHO.

Still waiting for the specs to be officially released.

Regardless, I'm sure it will be a capable camera and one that will force the copier company to release another rebelious model (or three).

Anthony

Anthony

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 22-Jan-04 03:17 PM
10873 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Not So Fast Apparently"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Last year's D2H leak was tolerated, probably because the timing was close enough (the official announcement and subsequent usage of the prototype at the Greek Games was approximately two and four weeks away at that point) to allow the "spin frenzy" to begin in earnest. This time around, I suspect that Nikon's concern on one, possibly two specifications being off was sincere (meter is certainly a good candidate, perhaps iTTL too), however, they were hoping for a Coup De Main at PMA, and wanted the specs suppressed because, quite frankly, the camera even without the meter is darned impressive. In any case, it's twenty days to go - and probably eleven days before anything official from Nikon comes down the pike if they stick to PMA pre-announcement timings.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

jck Registered since 08th Jan 2008Thu 22-Jan-04 01:13 PM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Thom Hogan Updates Specs on D70"
In response to Reply # 0

>30 second to 1/8000 shutter, combined
>electronic/mechanical, so flash sync is 1/500
>1005-pixel Color CCD Matrix meter
>I-TTL support (up to three wireless groups, flash value
>lock, ala D2h)
>Capture 4.1

I have not been able to read the PDF on Thom's site.

These features would be exciting indeed. The shutter time is nothing special, but the flash sync is pretty unusual for such a camera: However, if it were an electronic shutter, such a fast flash sync would not be too difficult to realize even in a budget camera. I-TTL support is a safe guess; after all, they want to sell new speedlights, don't they? I am not too happy how fast their flash units have become obsolete in the last couple of years.

A 1005 pixel Color CCD Matrix meter would surprise me. However, they should cost significantly less than in the mid-90's when Nikon introduced its F5. One might speculate that the D100 was too cautious on the exposure front, and often produced underexposed images. I do not think the target group of the D70 would want to spend much time in post-exposure computer programs, so spot-on metering is a must. And it might help to justify the higher price point of the D70 in comparison to the 300D.

However, the two remaining issues to me would be: 1. How's the shutter lag? The 10D/D100 have a shutter lag around 100ms, whereas the 300D is reported to be close to 150ms. 2. Does Nikon use an improved version of the Sony sensor of the D100?

Anyway, I look forward to PMA.

J.C.K.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberThu 22-Jan-04 04:36 PM
#10. "RE: Thom Hogan Updates Specs on D70"
In response to Reply # 9

Rancho Cordova, US

J.C.K. : I do not think the target group of the D70 would want to spend much time in post-exposure computer programs, so spot-on metering is a must.

rutherfordfphoto: I hope with the D70, they have fixed the White Balance issues, and I hope it produces a great JPEG image, as this is what the target audience is will most likely shoot.

I think you're both right, this is a camera that is appealing to Nikon owners who want great images with little post processing, but the ability to to produce NEF (RAW) files for those who do.

Given some of the images on the internet (Fred Miranda's site?) I'm sure there will be spot, ceter and matrix metering options.

No electronic (10-pin or 2-pin) release, no cable release, just the IR remote...I wonder if Nikon could have the USB port operate a release, the same way the Nikon Coolpix 4500, 5000, 5400 and 5700 do (granted, the release isn't the best, but still...)

Anthony

Anthony

kc80s Registered since 29th Jan 2002Thu 22-Jan-04 07:51 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Thom Hogan Updates Specs on D70"
In response to Reply # 10

Toronto, CA

I know it's all speculation, but the specs on the D70 do look pretty impressive considering it's position in Nikon's DSLR lineup. Heck, it even surpasses the D100 in many areas (again, if and only if they are true) -- e.g. 1/8000 shutter speed, 1/500 sync, i-TTL

About the only significant difference, as far as I can see, is the lack of dynamic AF. Of course, we don't know about its shutter lag, build quality, among other things...

Basically, is there any reason not to go for the D70 (and save money) instead of the D100, if say, dynamic AF is not important for someone?

ahockLo Registered since 24th Jan 2004Sat 24-Jan-04 04:18 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Thom Hogan Updates Specs on D70"
In response to Reply # 0

Some new pictures from china forum-
http://www.cameraunion.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=187733

Edited to eliminate images not owned by poster

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #219453 Previous topic | Next topic