nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251013
View in threaded mode

Subject: "using flash with DC70" Previous topic | Next topic
phycobob Registered since 07th Apr 2012Sat 07-Apr-12 04:16 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"using flash with DC70"

UK

I have a Nikon D70 with a Nikon speedlight SB-600 flash. I have set the camera up on a copy stand and use it to photograph some laid out plants on white paper. The flash unit is hand held and I hold it at different positions/distance from the plants. but the images are just so overexposed and white ! It seems to be better when the batteries are running low ! I just use the 1/64 setting ! and not sure what other settings are possible to reduce the light.
How can I reduce the exposure - there doesnt seem to be a 1/128 speed or any settings on the flash which will make the flash less intense. Any help please- I am a complete novice so easy to follow steps please
Phycobob

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 07-Apr-12 10:55 PM
26977 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: using flash with DC70"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Bob,

Welcome to Nikonians!
As you have found, the SB-600 is limited to a maximum of 1/64th power in Manual mode.
You can try using a Neutral Density filter on the camera lens or over the flash. Adding a Flash Diffuser will also reduce the flash output even further.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 07-Apr-12 11:10 PM
26897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: using flash with DC70"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Have you tried stopping the lens down, say to f/22?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251013 Previous topic | Next topic