Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250925
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D90 dark focus" Previous topic | Next topic
lemartin Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2009Thu 29-Mar-12 01:41 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 dark focus"

Louisville, US

I would appreciate advice regarding a problem that recently started with my D90. On a recent overseas trip, day 9 of 11, the camera started malfunctioning. The viewfinder suddenly went dark like the lens was stopped down rather than wide open to allow framing and focusing. The same problem occurs with live view. The camera cannot achieve focus lock since the lens is stopped down. A Nikkor 16-85 lens had been mounted all day. When the lens is removed then reseated, the camera will take exactly one frame normally. I tried turning the camera off then back on without resolution. Replacing the battery with a fully charged one did not help. Resetting the camera to default settings did not help. The same performance with 2 other lenses was noted. Each and every time the camera will take one and only one frame normally, then the view darkens, with resolution for one frame only by reseating the lens. Cleaning the camera contacts has not helped.
It definitely looks like a camera problem, such that after taking one frame, the camera does not tell the lens to open up.
I would like advice about how to proceed. Should I consult a local repair shop to see if they can resolve the problem, or send the D90 to Nikon? Am I missing something?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
chesterdawg Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2010Thu 29-Mar-12 03:13 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 dark focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Commerce, US

Since no other replies I'd take mine to a certified Nikon repair shop.

Let us know

Steve

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 29-Mar-12 03:38 PM
10842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 dark focus"
In response to Reply # 0

US

It could be the Aperture lever or the mirror sticking. Check that you do not have Custom Setting D10 turned on, this the 1-second Exposure Delay enabled.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Thu 29-Mar-12 03:40 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 dark focus"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 29-Mar-12 03:49 PM by OnTERRYo

Hamilton, CA

Hi Larry,

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your D90.

I do not know but, to me, it sounds like a battery problem.
Are you using after-market type battery(ies)?
Always check the easy things first.
Is it at all possible to check your camera with yet another borrowed battery?
Maybe a fellow Nikonian or local camera club or camera shop.
I bet wherever you bought the camera from would be willing to help.
I suggest getting a third battery for trial only.
If the camera behaves with the third battery, then it could be a battery issue.

Page 250 of the manual indicates that the viewfinder could be dark with an under charged battery.

Good luck with your problem.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 29-Mar-12 05:36 PM
26789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D90 dark focus"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Larry,

Here are a few things to check that may or may not apply.
Is the lens fully seated and locked in the mount?
Could you be inadvertantly pressing the lens release button?
Try cleaning the electrical contacts on the camera body and lens.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

lemartin Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2009Fri 30-Mar-12 01:16 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D90 dark focus"
In response to Reply # 4

Louisville, US

Thanks for your replies.
I again tried the camera with a freshly charged battery, but no resolution.
The custom setting D10 is OFF
The D90 will take one and only one frame with the lens aperature open, then the lens stops down making the viewfinder darkish but not black. The next exposure is very long due to the stopped down lens, but the camera lists the aperature as 3.5 but requiring a 1.5 sec or so exposure vs 1/25. Most of the time the light is too dim to achieve focus lock. Just loosening the lens then relocking restores normal function for only one frame.

I will always remember trying to get just one last picture of the Treasury in Petra that afternoon when the camera started to malfunction. Fortunately, my wife was using her Canon G12 and was willing to share for the next couple days. That shows the value of a second camera on a trip.

I expect to send the D90 to Nikon this weekend, and I will post results when they reply. Perhaps I will try cleaning the contacts one more time.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Fri 30-Mar-12 07:19 PM
3333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D90 dark focus"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 30-Mar-12 07:20 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

As previously mentioned, it sounds like the aperture stop down lever in the camera is bent/damaged and jams on the lens aperture tab. When you remove/change lenses or unlock and relock a lens into position, the aperture lever can move back into the correct position. It would then jam again afer an exposure is taken.

Alan

lemartin Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2009Fri 30-Mar-12 08:29 PM
#7. "RE: D90 dark focus"
In response to Reply # 6

Louisville, US

Alan,
Thanks for your input. That makes sense. There was no trauma to the lens or camera, there had not been any recent lens change, but just a sudden malfunction.
Hopefully that is not an expensive repair. My Nikon extended warranty expired last fall.

lemartin Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2009Thu 19-Apr-12 12:23 AM
#8. "RE: D90 dark focus"
In response to Reply # 7

Louisville, US

I sent my D90 to Nikon and it was received back today. The notation indicates that the aperture lever was repaired, and the technician adjusted autofocus operation, cleaned the CCD and did a general check & clean. The total cost was $225. The only hitch is that the body cap sent with the camera was not returned. I called Nikon about that problem and a message was to be sent to the service department.

suzyk Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2011Thu 19-Apr-12 08:13 AM
1563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D90 dark focus"
In response to Reply # 8

near Hobart, AU

Larry,

Good to hear that you got your D90 back. I would be interested to know if you notice any improvements in it (apart from it working again) since AF was adjusted.

Cheers,
Suzy

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250925 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.