Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #5590
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
torontojim Registered since 08th Nov 2006Wed 08-Nov-06 05:26 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"

Toronto, CA

Hi there,

My first post to the forum. Great user site overall!

Searched all the D80 forum but can't find anything about this. Has anyone experienced this? It happens at random stages of the battery charge, including fully charged. Shooting away, and then suddenly the shutter button will not release and the battery indicator is flashing 1 bar, which I presume means to indicate out of power. Nothing I do can change it, except for turning off the camera and turning it back on, which then brings the battery level back to where it was and the camera works like normal. Irritating but I've also lost some shot opportunities because of this. Wondering if my batteries (I have 2 batteries and they both do it) are defective or is it the camera body system software?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Jim

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
capntoo Registered since 05th Oct 2006Wed 08-Nov-06 10:42 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jim,

I've noticed the same thing, only it happens to me in P mode only, which leads me to believe it's not the battery. Hope someone has an answer....

Dave

jjanno Registered since 14th May 2006Thu 09-Nov-06 06:25 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallinn, EE

Hello

I have the same problem. Mostly I am shooting in A mode. Usually I have this problem, when shooting with flash. I guess this has something to do with flash reloading?
But I have had this problem also when shooting without flash. Usually I do not switch the camera of. The battary indicator returns back to normal in about 7 seconds.
I would be really happy if somebody could explain that.

jJanno
2xNikon

hwdx347 Silver Member Charter MemberThu 09-Nov-06 04:25 PM
6240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 2

Maumelle, US

I think the three of you need to call Nikon. This doesn't sound normal.

Hedley

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jimdwright Registered since 21st Jul 2006Thu 09-Nov-06 09:10 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Johnstown, US

I've also had this happen. Would have contacted Nikon but was planning to go on vacation and could live with the nuisance of turning the camera off and then back on - which fixed the problem.

Now, something interesting. I'm here in Brazil and I had discharged the battery to about 30% (lowest it's gotten). I recharged it and haven't had any problems. I've used Auto, P and mostly A.

You might try discharging your batteries a bunch - maybe taking a lot of flash pictures and see what happens.

Make a great day!
Jim

torontojim Registered since 08th Nov 2006Fri 10-Nov-06 10:25 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

Many thanks for the suggestion Jimdwright. I've had my D80 since Sept.13 and have been travelling around the world so I have shot thousands of images already. Unfortunately, I can't speak for the others, but I have drained/recharged both batteries many times, yet it still has this problem... hmmn, with two others having this same problem, then there has to be something systematically wrong here. I will try contacting Nikon.
Thanks.
Jim
"...shoot then ask questions later"

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006Fri 10-Nov-06 02:20 PM
1384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 5

Naples, US

Hey Guys,

What lens are you using when this happens? I've posted a similar problem in a few forums, as I've noticed this only happening with my Sigma 150mm Macro HSM. I've never had it happen when using a Nikon lens or my old Sigma zoom (no HSM).

I've since sent the lens to Sigma for repair since I've been unhappy with the AF performance as well as the battery indicator issue, and I've been told they are replacing the HSM motor.

Any chance you're using HSM Sigmas?

-Alex

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

OlJerr Registered since 12th Oct 2006Fri 10-Nov-06 02:28 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 6

Fort Myers, US

Might I suggest you clean the contacts on the battery and those inside the camera body. Notice how small the contacts are, it wouldn’t take much for cause a poor connection. Take a wood pencil with an eraser and use it as a tool to clean the contacts inside the battery chamber. Also note the battery makes it’s connection on the bottom rather than on the larger side contacts. Position the camera under a lamp so you can see the little contacts and carefully draw the pencil eraser across the three contacts and then clean the contacts on the bottom of the battery. See if that doesn’t correct the problem. Ol-Jerr

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006Fri 10-Nov-06 02:35 PM
1384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 7

Naples, US

Cleaning the contacts is a good, simple start. However, I've been getting the error on a brand new D80 with a brand new Sigma 150mm macro...contacts all better be clean .

-Alex Rosen

torontojim Registered since 08th Nov 2006Fri 10-Nov-06 06:19 PM
#9. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 8

Toronto, CA

Thanks for the suggestions about cleaning the contacts. I will take a look at mine. But as the other has pointed out, it was with a brand new body and batteries, and it started the first few days after I got the camera. Also, I am using the new Nikon 18-200 VR lens, only.
Cheers.
Jim

OlJerr Registered since 12th Oct 2006Fri 10-Nov-06 08:23 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 9

Fort Myers, US

It might look good but consider being shipped overseas in all the salt air and humidity. The contacts are so small it isn't going to take much at all to cause a voltage drop even when they look clean. Sounds like a temparary power loss to me. Ol-Jerr

PinotNoir Registered since 22nd Nov 2006Wed 22-Nov-06 04:37 PM
#11. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 10

Yeah, same problem here.

Recently (10-2006) purchased the D80 (serialn° 4006827, battery serial 6619D) in combo with the 18-200 Nikkor lense. Regarding the cost of the system, it was too high to get this sort of issue!

Everything worked fine until I started looking for some flash power. Borrowed an SB800 flash, for testing, from a friend for a marriage shoot. This resulted in a serious battery blackout some every 4 times I used the flash (although all batteries, camera and flash, had enough power). Don't ask me about the flash settings as i had no time to take a record. The combination of D80, Nikkor 18-200 (not relevant) and SB800 (imho, again not relevant) seemed completely unreliable due to this fault. Waiting 7 seconds (as earlier mentioned in this thread) for the battery to reload is not an option. So I had to restart (off/on) the D80 every 2 minutes or so... ?!

Speaking of a complete Nikon setup, this fault persists, for now only, when using flash (only tested with Nikon SB800 flash). If I were a connaisseur I would suppose there is a voltage issue between flash and D80. But then again I am no connaisseur :-/

When using the D200 body in the same setup, there 's no prob. So I suppose I can deduct that there is a fault within the electrical/voltage system of the (at least some) D80.

Knowing that the service level of Nikon in Europe is poor due to some corporate changes, I'm reluctant to have my camera sent back to them (don't want to be without for more than a month when other stuff melts down :-/). Although I will also be addressing the local reseller about this (which will tell me that they never heard about this before as mentioned earlier in this thread; reseller problem). After reading this thread it is clear that something 's wrong with the D80.

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping that some people of Nikon read through this forum and address the issue. Nevertheless this issue should not be minimalized (it's a shame)... And please don't talk me about seasalt erosion or other bizarre excuses, let's be serious :-p

A frustrated Nikon-user.
Greetz!
Daniël

sadowsky Registered since 25th Nov 2006Sun 26-Nov-06 12:50 AM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 11

New York, US

I've had my D80 with a 18-200 VR for 2 weeks and I am having the same problem.
Very frustrating.

Roger

sadowsky Registered since 25th Nov 2006Sun 26-Nov-06 06:22 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 12

New York, US

I tried to find the specific situation where this occurs, but it is very intermittent, although it occurs frequently. Sometimes, you have to wait about 7 seconds and then lightly depress the shutter for it to go from indicating dead battery to full battery. If you turn the camera off and then on again, the battery indicator also will return to full from empty. But I cannot find the conditions that precede the problem.

Roger

jjanno Registered since 14th May 2006Wed 22-Nov-06 11:28 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallinn, EE

Hello again

Has anybody had any feedback?
My shop said that it's for the first time for them to hear about that problem. They did not recieve any info from Nikon also. They sugested that maybe this is a problem for a small amout of cameras/batterys. So what are the serials of Your cameras and batterys?
Mine:
D80 - 4006xxx
EN-EL3e - 670xx

Unfortunatelly Nikon Baltic (who is Nikon support in my region) has not responded to me.

What would be a good way to contact Nikon? Through support site?

I also cleaned the contacts. Did not help.

jJanno

foci Registered since 16th Jul 2006Sun 26-Nov-06 01:33 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Same problem here guys. I've had mine for a few months and this has been an intermittent problem. Though I've not tracked this, I believe most of the occurences where when I was using the flash. A rather annoying problem. I hope someone gets an answer from corporate. I'm looking forward to their response. BTW I'm using the D80 with the 18-200 VR solely.

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006Sun 26-Nov-06 02:21 AM
#16. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 15

Naples, US

I've contacted Thom Hogan and apparently he has not experience this issue yet. However, he's going to watch out for it now. Rest assured that once he experiences this, we'll be well on our way to a solution. You may have read his thread regarding D80 amp noise and noticed that he has a very good rapport with Nikon and often deals with them directly.

-Alex Rosen

KY River Rat Registered since 05th Feb 2006Sun 26-Nov-06 12:46 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Versailles, US

I have had this same issue using a Sigma 80-400 OS lens, usually when the air temp is 40 degrees F and lower.....

foci Registered since 16th Jul 2006Sat 02-Dec-06 02:02 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 17

US

Has anyone received a response from Nikon regarding this issue?

Artuk Registered since 20th Aug 2006Sun 03-Dec-06 02:19 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Dover, US

Is anyone with this problem using the vertical grip with two batteries?

If not, that might be a temp solution.

Chris

singhsk Registered since 03rd Feb 2007Sat 03-Feb-07 04:39 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 19

>Is anyone with this problem using the vertical grip with two
>batteries?

Yes I always use the MD-80 Battery pack, which uses two batteries. I have been the camera for for about three months now; today was the first time I encountered this problem when I replaced with fresh batteries. I am using 28-200 VR lense and SB-800 flash. This issue could result in loosing quite a few great shots. I will be contacting both Nikon and my local shop in the coming week and post my findings.

PinotNoir Registered since 22nd Nov 2006Fri 15-Dec-06 04:15 PM
#21. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

My local reseller told me I was the first to report to him such an issue with the D80. He understood the problem quite quickly as he encountered a similar problem with the launch of the D70. With the D70, Nikon released after only a few months a firmware update, trying to anticipate. But even with the update, the problem still persisted. After a while, it seemed that the only solution was for Nikon to take back a whole batch (based on serial n°) of "faultive" batteries. He was unable to tell me what went wrong with those batteries but supposed it had something to do with environmental influences during logistics.

I don't know if that story about the D70 is true but I tend to believe my reseller as he very quickly got to the point. He briefly checked the battery and confirmed it had nothing to do with the use of flash or any type of lense. He offered me to send back my camera to have it checked out but the downside would be that I'ld have to miss my D80 for 3 to 4 weeks. Yet it beats waiting for Nikon to take initiative on this matter. As the release of a firmware update didn't solve the issue with the D70, I suppose waiting for a D80 update won't do much either.

I'm now planning 'D80-less' month and will have the body sent back probably somewhere mid-january. Untill then I'ld love to read about it if others have info about this issue.

Greetz.
D.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 15-Dec-06 05:33 PM
28731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 21

Paignton, GB

The D70 battery recall was nothing to do with this particular problem. Some batches of EN-EL3 batteries were faulty and could potentially overheat (while charging). As far as I remember, the D70 firmware update was also not connected with this problem.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

jjanno Registered since 14th May 2006Sat 16-Dec-06 11:43 AM
#23. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 21

Tallinn, EE

Hello

>I'm now planning 'D80-less' month and will have the body
>sent back probably somewhere mid-january. Untill then I'ld
>love to read about it if others have info about this issue.

Keep us informed and keep all Your responses from Nikon. So others can use Your information. Hope, that You will get a new camera that does not have any bug.

jJanno

NumbDiver Registered since 17th Dec 2006Sun 17-Dec-06 06:05 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hello All,

New poster here (been lurking and learning for a few months).

Add me to the list with battery indicator issuses on my D-80. It started (after about a month) when I was using my SB-800. Now it does it with or without. Different settings include shutter and aperature priorities (as well as portrait mode). It's all been with my 18-200mm VR.

Battery indicator flashes 'low' and will not allow shutter to be released. As soon as I boot down, and back up, I'm good for a few shots. I have a few different new batteries, it does it to all of them.

I was waiting till after the holidays to send away my brand new camera. Hopefully there will be a firmware update to download before that happens.

Fingers crossed,
Rick Bryan

torontojim Registered since 08th Nov 2006Sun 17-Dec-06 06:59 PM
#25. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 24

Toronto, CA

Well, at first I thought it was just me? But now it is obvious that there is a problem inherent in the D80 - regardless of lens, shooting mode, battery, etc. I, too, contacted my dealer, who shrugged his shoulders and offered to send it in for servicing - for 4 weeks minimum! I am in the middle of my lifetime trip around the world, so this is not any realistic option As others have noted, for the kind of money spent on the camera, the lacking quality assurance should at least be supported by better after-sales service.

Please I don't mean this improperly, but perhaps one of the veteran members of Nikonians or the Admins. might be able to comment on whether us newer members who have technical problems should hope that Nikon will pay any attention to this site and do something about the problem? I thought this was the un-official 'official' website of Nikon owners per se, if in which case, having owned a product/service company of my own, it would sure be ignorant of Nikon not to be monitoring this website as an ideal source of information, opinions, and most of all, field testing of their products. I understand not actually affiliating itself with the site, but I can't find any other site more Nikon dedicated than this one. I'm sure that when it suits their purpose, Nikon uses the conduit of this site to indirectly release marketing or promote its goods.

So should I seek out a way to make fight my way to Nikon to get some kind of immediate service, or should I keep faith that they are really listening and are working away in some little small lab in Japan trying to make a firmware update or issuing a recall? If there is no foreseeable hope, then okay, at least I can make closure and live with my not-as-good-as-advertised D80 - chalk one up to pre-release hype.

With sincere thanks,
Jim

mpalis Registered since 31st Dec 2006Sun 31-Dec-06 03:48 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Friends of Nikon... Add me to the list... I bought my D80 late in November together with 18-200VR and 2 batteries... I mostly shot in A mode and I am experiencing the same problem as you.. And problem is getting worse... I will conduct my local distributor and I will let you know what they will tell me. The Nikon service engineer is a friend of mine so I believe he will give me an honest answer to the problem....

Any news from your distributors?

KY River Rat Registered since 05th Feb 2006Sun 31-Dec-06 05:23 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Versailles, US

I have this problem only when shooting a VR lens, which I mostly shoot.. Maybe it is anytime but it has only occurred with the VR.

clintont Registered since 16th Dec 2005Mon 01-Jan-07 11:34 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Johannesburg, ZA

Hi all,

Had the same problem from new and could not isolate the circumstances under which it would create the fault, the battery reports empty, I would switch the camera off and then on again and the battery would report its previous charge status and shooting could continue.

I took my D80 to Nikon here in South Africa. They examined and found that the sub base plate unit was at fault and they replaced the faulty component. The camera was 6 weeks young. Have not had the problem since!

Regards
Clinton

jfvergara Registered since 04th Jan 2007Thu 04-Jan-07 08:53 AM
#29. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Add me to the list ladies and gentlemen.

I am using the 18-200 VR / SB600 and it just shuts down on me and flash's to one battery bar.

I am going on a trip pretty soon and it is impossible for me to be without a camera for more than a month.

Are there any updates? We can't just let this issue slip away.

gklai Registered since 05th Jan 2007Fri 05-Jan-07 05:28 PM
#30. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

MY

Hi all,

No harm for you to try this if you are using a VR lens or especially 18-200VR:

Detach the lens, then re-attach the lens but with a harder and faster turn to make sure it CLICK properly onto the body mount.

I suggest this because I had another kind of "problem" with my D80 + 18-200VR lens. When I do AF, the AF motor (SWM) in the lens make a weird sound.
Something like the motor is lack of grease or similar. (It sounds something like "sheet... sheet..." or "chit.... chit...") The lens did not make this noise
when I used it with my old D70. So I treat it as a "problem".

The following link (although I didn't understand German):
http://nikoneurope-de.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikoneurope_de.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1976&p_created=1030024240&p_sid=iL91uMqi&p_accessibility=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTM4JnBfcHJvZHM9MTksMzc0JnBfY2F0cz0yNDEmcF9wdj0yLjM3NCZwX2N2PTEuMjQxJnBfcGFnZT02&p_li=&p_topview=1

inspired me to check whether it was the CPU contact problem? Because I didn't change to other lens with my near one-month old D80 yet,
so I decided to check the contact. After when I do the above "hard turn" lens mount action, the noise goes away completely!

When the impression of "poor lens contact" can cause this weird thing to happen,
why not try it and see whether the battery issue can be corrected?

I just did some test with my D80 + 18-200VR + SB-800, and fortunately, I did not get the "flashing battery indicator" problem.

I took 6 shots with SB-800 mount on the camera. Another 6 shots put SB-800 in remote mode, but battery meter is ok!

In summary, what I'm trying to say here is: lens contact not sit properly can cause this seems unrelated noise issue,
why not try it if this help with the battery meter issue?

I register here and make this first post just trying to help. Hope all of us Nikonians will enjoy our equipment rather than frustrating with it!

Have a nice day!

Sorry for my poor English expression!

-Lai

avigar Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Nov 2006Sat 06-Jan-07 09:19 PM
486 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Northern IL, US

Did this problem show up recently on your camera or has it always happened since new?

Just tested my newly acquired D80 for the same battery symptoms;none found. I shot 25 consecutive RAW+JPG frames in auto mode without hesitation from the camera. I also kept it in AF mode. I am using a SB-600 flash with a Tamron DiII AF 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. I haven't tried with my Nikkor 18-135mm DX kit lens yet since it's boxed up right now. I purchased my camera about 1 month ago.

Please post up if an answer to the problem is found.

--Ben

sadowsky Registered since 25th Nov 2006Sun 07-Jan-07 01:39 PM
#32. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 31

New York, US

I've been living with the problem since November but I did a photo shoot with a client the other day and found it impossible to live with. I'm returning the camera to Nikon for service.

I guess I'll post again in about 6 weeks when I get it back.

BTW, I asked the tech/service guy at Nikon if he was aware of the problem and he said no.
When I mentioned there were many of us at Nikonians.org who were having the problem, he was curt and snotty.

Roger

jimmE Registered since 18th Jul 2006Tue 09-Jan-07 03:32 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I'm another Jim in Toronto with this EXACT same problem with the battery display. Brand new (Oct-06) D80 / Nikkor VR 18-200. I keep having to turn the camera off & on to get it to work. I've taken maybe 200 pics total. I blew my savings on this kit, taking great comfort in Nikon's reputation for quality. Now it looks like I've got a lemon on my hands. GRRRRR!!!

I work 14 hours a day, and I do NOT have the time, energy or patience to go to war with Nikon, or be messing around with camera repairs. That's why I splurged for a premium brand.

Hey Nikon - are you listening? There's like 10 (and counting) of your best product advocats here reporting the EXACT same problem. And don't just tell us to clean the battery contacts - there is DEFINATELY something WRONG with this camera. Somebody PLEASE help us get to the bottom of this!!!

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 09-Jan-07 09:21 AM
28731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 33

Paignton, GB

It's always frustrating when an expensive new piece of equipment does not function as well as one would expect, but let's try to keep this discussion calm, please. Every complex electronic device is going to have some examples which display a fault. 100% reliability is not possible, unless the buyer is willing to pay far more than the D80 (or ANY camera) costs.

Still, a number of members seem to be experiencing a similar problem here; that is the value of forums such as this - you can find out that you're not alone

The proper and only effective action is for every member who has the problem to contact their local Nikon support. If Nikon are not told formally about the problem by owners, they will not know how extensive it is and cannot respond effectively.

Also, let's keep things in proportion - even if 100 members report the problem to Nikon, that is still an extremely small proportion of the total number of D80's sold so far.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

good2go Registered since 26th Jul 2006Tue 09-Jan-07 06:54 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Wallkill, US

I have been having this problem. I was worried that it might mess with my daughters wedding, but it did not happen. I only have an 18-70 lens so it is not linked to the 18-200 or external flash, though that might aggravate it as it only happens occasionally to me. Normally on a fully charged battery. If I wait about 10 seconds or so it will read full charge. I got my camera in late September so it is an early one. I am surprised they have not come out with a firmware upgrade yet, normally they come out about a month or so after release, but I have not found any other stability issues.

jimmE Registered since 18th Jul 2006Tue 09-Jan-07 08:23 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 35

Toronto, CA

What's a "firmware upgrade"? I've always wondered what it meant, but now it sounds like I need one.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 09-Jan-07 10:17 PM
#37. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 36

Paignton, GB

>What's a "firmware upgrade"? I've always wondered what it
>meant, but now it sounds like I need one.

Manufacturers release new versions of the camera's firmware (the software that controls things like AF, metering, buffering...) at intervals. As an example, the D200 had a firmware update to version 2.0 recently. It fixed a couple of small issues, and added some new features.

There has been no firmware update for the D80 yet.

I'm no expert, but this particular problem sounds more like something mechanical or electrical to me. I would not bank on it being fixable via firmware

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

raylaw Registered since 31st Jan 2007Wed 07-Feb-07 10:17 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 37

US

Edited to reduce length of link

teef Registered since 25th Dec 2006Wed 10-Jan-07 08:49 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

Mine does not do this. It had the MB-D80 inserted before its first use and has never been used without it. However it has only ever had one battery (yeah yeah I will get around to buying another one) I use a variety of Nikkon and Tamron lenses, none are particularly fast and none are VR. I have the SB800. I shoot mostly landscapes but sometimes get roped into covering events (indoors at night).

One thing that occurs to me is one person mentioned cold weather. It is summer time here in Australia.

My camera is: 3046108
My battery is: 6731N

I hope this helps in tracking this problem down.

sadowsky Registered since 25th Nov 2006Thu 11-Jan-07 12:46 AM
#40. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 39

New York, US

Obviously, the one person here who sent his camera back to Nikon had it successfully repaired. So that is what we all need to do. Just for the record, my camera # is 3040974 and I received it in early October.

clintont Registered since 16th Dec 2005Thu 11-Jan-07 03:57 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 40

Johannesburg, ZA

Hi,

Just as further confirmation, I am now another 600-700 shots down and another full battery cycle down (recharge) since the repair by Nikon and the problem has not reoccurred. Also purchased it in early October!

Was not too happy, as with most of the forum, at having to take my new D80 in for repair so early in it's life. Have come part of the way round to accepting that buying in early on new technology releases / products you are bound to find a gremlin or two.

My camera # : 4014037

Regards
Clinton

jimmE Registered since 18th Jul 2006Thu 11-Jan-07 12:56 PM
#42. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 41

Toronto, CA

Clinton: thanks for the follow-up post. This gives me some comfort. A number of us with this this problem seem to be using the 18-200. What lense were you using when you encountered the problem?

What's a "sub base plate"?

How long did the repair take? I'm just wondering how long I should budget being without the camera.

jbrandes Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Fri 12-Jan-07 06:02 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#43. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 42

US

Hello everyone, I'm a bit new here but I have seen something that may be related to this issue...

I too have seen the batt indicator hanging around the 17-20% mark on my D80 for some time, even though the charger says the battery is full (orange light does not flash) and the battery "life" indicator in the menu says it is in new condition.

I got a new battery, charged it on the same charger, put it in...battery indicator at 100%. Maybe the D80 is doing something to the battery to prevent it from re-charging completely? I just got the new battery, so i don't know if this will continue to happen.

clintont Registered since 16th Dec 2005Sat 20-Jan-07 12:37 PM
#44. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 42

Johannesburg, ZA

I have been using it with the 18-70 as well as tried if with the 180135 (kit) and the 18-200, still had the same problem. The sub base plate, as it was listed on the repair detail log, to the best of my electronic knowledge must be the electronic sub assemply that is installed along the base plate connecting and hosting the Lithium Ion battery intellegence electronics. This is what I assume has caused the problem. the electronic sub assembly cannot interpret the babttery status accuratly and provide incorrect infomation to the balance of the camera. Replacing this electronic sub-assemply has solved my problem.

The camera was returned to me in 4 working days. It was 2-3 hours of work but there were other repiars with Nikon at the time ahead of my repair.

Clinton

JeremyInMt Registered since 09th Jun 2004Wed 17-Jan-07 08:07 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#45. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Bozeman, US

I have sent my D80 in to Nikon after reading this thread and I made reference to this thread in my incident with them. I also copy/pasted some of the messages here to show them there are others having the problem and hopefully this will help them see what is going on more quickly. Thank you to all who have posted this issue, as you probably have now helped me solve my problem as well. I have the Sigma 80-400 OS DG that has been shipped to Sigma and even to Japan to be fixed and they re-chipped it and found nothing wrong and the d80 still has issues. I will repost when I get my D80 back.

ShiftingScene Registered since 01st Mar 2007Fri 19-Jan-07 04:19 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#46. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 45

US

I'm also having the same problem. I am using my D80 with the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens, no Flash. I had my D80 for about a month now and I did not encounter the problem until last weekend when I decided to do some long exposure night shots and changed my settings to shoot in RAW mode. I'm not sure if this could narrow the problem down, but I did not see this problem when I was shooting in JPEG Normal mode(shot 600 photos). But after I switched to RAW mode to shoot about 5 pictures, I saw my battery meter dropped to 25% of life. I had to turn the camera off and back on to see my battery meter fully charged. I will do more testing this weekend and will post any findings.

torontojim Registered since 08th Nov 2006Sat 20-Jan-07 02:23 PM
#47. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 46

Toronto, CA

Thanks for the update Clinton:
< I have been using it with the 18-70 as well as tried if with the 180135 (kit) and the 18-200, still had the same problem. The sub base plate, as it was listed on the repair detail log, to the best of my electronic knowledge must be the electronic sub assemply that is installed along the base plate connecting and hosting the Lithium Ion battery intellegence electronics. This is what I assume has caused the problem. the electronic sub assembly cannot interpret the babttery status accuratly and provide incorrect infomation to the balance of the camera. Replacing this electronic sub-assemply has solved my problem.[br />The camera was returned to me in 4 working days. It was 2-3 hours of work but there were other repiars with Nikon at the time ahead of my repair. ]

Well, with two people seeming to have solved the problem by changing the sub-base plate, I will send my camera to Nikon and ask them to do the same. Also encouraging is that it was only a few hours of work and the camera was returned in 4 days.

FYI, I had a few emails with Nikon and after avoiding to answer any of my questions by replying with 'out of the box stock' responses, I was forced to put the questions down to a Yes or No scenario. So even after being told about this thread, Nikon Europe Service says that "they are not aware of an battery problems with the en-el3e." They wouldn't acknowledge the problem, which then led me to ask "... how then do you expect to fix it, especially if the occurrences are random?", to which they replied to send it to my nearest Nikon repair centre and wait for it's return. Disappointing attitude indeed, but I guess their accountants look at the bottom line of a recall versus white-lying.

Hope to get more positive results from the service technicians. Good luck to everyone else. I'll post my update when it comes back.

JeremyInMt Registered since 09th Jun 2004Tue 23-Jan-07 06:27 PM
#48. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 45

Bozeman, US

Checked on the Nikon website today and my camera is being repaird with a status of B2: Minor repair: Major parts replaced.

>I have sent my D80 in to Nikon after reading this thread and
>I made reference to this thread in my incident with them. I
>also copy/pasted some of the messages here to show them
>there are others having the problem and hopefully this will
>help them see what is going on more quickly. Thank you to
>all who have posted this issue, as you probably have now
>helped me solve my problem as well. I have the Sigma 80-400
>OS DG that has been shipped to Sigma and even to Japan to be
>fixed and they re-chipped it and found nothing wrong and the
>d80 still has issues. I will repost when I get my D80 back.

mtrent Registered since 20th Jan 2007Sat 20-Jan-07 04:37 PM
#49. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

I got my new D80 about 2-3 weeks ago. Last weekend, the first battery died so I replaced it with my fully charged back up battery. When the new battery was installed, the camera would not register that a charged battery was in. The little bars on the battery icon just kept 'cycling' from one bar to all the bars over and over and over again and the camera would not operate. So, I opened the battery door to take the battery out but the battery was stuck. So, now it's been sent back to Nikon (I bought the extended warranty from the store where the camera was purchased, so we brought it back to the store and they sent it to Nikon)
Now that I'm reading all the replies about the camera not registering a full battery, I'm wondering if that happened on mine a few times as well. There were some times when I could not take a shot but because I'm so new to this camera I assumed it wasn't in focus or something. It never occured to me to look at the battery levels (I hadn't been using it enough to have the battery die at these times) Has anyone else had a battery stuck in the camera?

MikeN80 Registered since 19th Nov 2004Wed 24-Jan-07 04:59 PM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#50. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 49

Benbrook, US

I bought mine in early december and have had the problem using 70-200vr and my tamron 28-75 it frustrates me and I am concidering exchanging it for a D200 and just pay the difference for the peice of mind. Don't really want to do that, but I wonder what else will go wrong.

JeremyInMt Registered since 09th Jun 2004Wed 24-Jan-07 05:06 PM
#51. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 50

Bozeman, US

Why don't you just send in the camera to get fixed? It's under warranty and will be a free fix.

>I bought mine in early december and have had the problem
>using 70-200vr and my tamron 28-75 it frustrates me and I am
>concidering exchanging it for a D200 and just pay the
>difference for the peice of mind. Don't really want to do
>that, but I wonder what else will go wrong.

JeremyInMt Registered since 09th Jun 2004Mon 29-Jan-07 01:27 AM
#52. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 50

Bozeman, US

>I bought mine in early december and have had the problem
>using 70-200vr and my tamron 28-75 it frustrates me and I am
>concidering exchanging it for a D200 and just pay the
>difference for the peice of mind. Don't really want to do
>that, but I wonder what else will go wrong.
Well you can wonder and wonder and wonder and not really get anywhere. Switching to a new body makes it even more likely you'll encounter a problem. When Nikon fixes a body (from my experience) they fix it well. Let them fix it and you will enjoy a top-notch camera.

scarpi Registered since 26th Jan 2007Sun 28-Jan-07 04:53 PM
#53. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Interesting, I bought my D80 on Dec 8th, and have not seen any problems relating to the batteries. Hopefully the problem isn't too widespread. I'm sure Nikon will act responsibly and fix any defective cameras under the warranty. It's nice to have forums like this where issues can be brought up and discussed.

In response to "mikeN80" stating you might exchange your D80 for a D200 because you wonder what else will go wrong, one defective part does not mean that your D80 will have other problems. Like mentioned before, it will be fixed free under warranty.

bp Registered since 28th Jan 2007Sun 28-Jan-07 08:11 PM
#54. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

I have the exact same problem. Just bought a new EN-EL3 battery and the same thing happens, so it is not the battery.

Am in warantee, but can't send the camera off during my kid's basketball season.

What do I do?

Bruce Peltier

JeremyInMt Registered since 09th Jun 2004Mon 29-Jan-07 01:19 AM
#55. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 54

Bozeman, US

>I have the exact same problem. Just bought a new EN-EL3
>battery and the same thing happens, so it is not the
>battery.
>
>Am in warantee, but can't send the camera off during my
>kid's basketball season.
>
>What do I do?
Call Nikon. They might send you one in exchange if you can persuade them to do so. Maybe you can rent a camera for the game nights while the D80 is in the shop?
>
>Bruce Peltier

jimmE Registered since 18th Jul 2006Mon 29-Jan-07 03:15 PM
#56. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 55

Toronto, CA

Dude I'm in the exact same jam. Need to send the D80 in for this battery repair but don't want to be without it. So I just picked up a cheap point & shoot (opted for a Casio Exilim) to use while the D80 is in for repair.

sadowsky Registered since 25th Nov 2006Mon 29-Jan-07 07:16 PM
#57. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 56

New York, US

I just received my D80 from Nikon. It took a total of 2 weeks from the day I shipped it out to the day I got it back (I'm in a one day delivery zone for ground shipping to and from Nikon). According to the paperwork, they replaced the Power PCB. I will give a follow up report on how well the repair went in a day or two.

Roger

sadowsky Registered since 25th Nov 2006Tue 30-Jan-07 01:01 AM
#58. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 57

New York, US

Well, so far everything seems fine.

this is obviously a hardware problem that cannot be fixed with any firmware update. So for the rest of you, just bite the bullet and send your camera into Nikon and get it fixed!

Roger

tonk11 Registered since 07th Dec 2006Tue 30-Jan-07 05:09 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#59. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 58

US

Thanks for the report. That seems like a pretty decent service turnaround from Nikon, assuming the problem is resolved.

jbbjws Registered since 20th Mar 2006Tue 30-Jan-07 03:42 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#60. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 59

US

Wow, great info in this thread. This happens to me only when using my Sigma 100-300mm hsm lens. It happens very infrequently and it seems to happen more (or only?) if my fingers happen to be on the manual focus ring while the lens is attempting to autofocus. I guess I will send it in for repair. Thanks to the original poster, I always assumed it was something unique to my equipment.

tpoore Registered since 10th Oct 2006Tue 13-Feb-07 10:40 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#61. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 57

Did Nikon fix the problem? I have the same problem on my D80 and when I called Nikon they said they have no record of any such battery problems with the D80. This seems strange based on the number of people who have reported the problem and have sent their cameras back to Nikon.

PinotNoir Registered since 22nd Nov 2006Wed 31-Jan-07 03:08 PM
#62. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi,

I just got my D80 back from my reseller who sent it back to Nikon (Europe). This took about 3 weeks. This is what 's mentioned by Nikon tech support on the repair sheet:
• Calibration (no idea what they've calibrated, maybe someone else here does?)
• Cleaning of contacts (I suppose they cleaned battery contacts)
• Overall revision (doesn't say much)
• Cleaning of CCD
• Internal cleaning

They did not change any parts whatsoever nor did they implement the recent firmware update (still v1.00). My D80 had the battery problem from day 1 and I used the camera only for a 100 or so standard indoor pictures before i had it sent back. So the Nikon tech support cleaned, in this case, an almost brand new D80 :-/

Now this is where it gets funny: the battery problem is gone!! At least for now, as I'm still sceptic about the fact no hardware was repaired/changed. Very strange that random solutions for this random occuring problem work. But hey, my D80 does!

Nikon tech support must be one hell of a cleaning crew Next time my car doesn't start due to a battery issue, a good cleaning should do the trick .

Greetz.
D.

JeremyInMt Registered since 09th Jun 2004Thu 01-Feb-07 02:35 PM
#63. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 62

Bozeman, US

Great post!

I haven't received my D80 back, but from what I see on the website they've replaced major parts. Maybe they didn't admit to replacing parts for you? Who knows. Anyway, I'm glad your camera works now and I hope mine will too!

>Hi,
>
>I just got my D80 back from my reseller who sent it back to
>Nikon (Europe). This took about 3 weeks. This is what 's
>mentioned by Nikon tech support on the repair sheet:
>• Calibration (no idea what they've calibrated, maybe
>someone else here does?)
>• Cleaning of contacts (I suppose they cleaned battery
>contacts)
>• Overall revision (doesn't say much)
>• Cleaning of CCD
>• Internal cleaning
>
>They did not change any parts whatsoever nor did they
>implement the recent firmware update (still v1.00). My D80
>had the battery problem from day 1 and I used the camera
>only for a 100 or so standard indoor pictures before i had
>it sent back. So the Nikon tech support cleaned, in this
>case, an almost brand new D80 :-/
>
>Now this is where it gets funny: the battery problem is
>gone!! At least for now, as I'm still sceptic about the fact
>no hardware was repaired/changed. Very strange that random
>solutions for this random occuring problem work. But hey, my
>D80 does!
>
>Nikon tech support must be one hell of a cleaning crew
>Next time my car doesn't start due to a battery issue, a
>good cleaning should do the trick .
>
>Greetz.
>D.

JeremyInMt Registered since 09th Jun 2004Fri 02-Feb-07 09:45 PM
#64. "UPDATE"
In response to Reply # 0

Bozeman, US

I am posting this on nikon cafe as well, but wanted to keep everyone updated here too!

I called Nikon today since I was starting to wonder what was going on. My camera has been in "in shop" status since 1/23. The service rep (who was a decent guy) said that it had just gone into "invoiced" status today and that meant it would probably ship Monday or Tuesday. I asked him what had been fixed/replaced on the camera. He didn't list everything but said the CCD had been replaced and focus had been checked. He also said that all the repairs will be written up on a sheet that comes back with the camera. I had my d70 repaired under warranty 2 years ago and got something like that but I had been curious what they fixed. I'll give a full report once I get the camera back.

I am Registered since 05th Feb 2007Mon 05-Feb-07 04:33 PM
#65. "Add me to the list"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and unhappy that my first post is in this thread but I too have this exact same problem. (D80 with 18-200mm VR) I am returning my camera to the store I purchased it from (along with a printout of this thread) for service today...I called Nikon Canada directly and they outright denied knowledge of this problem and informed me that I will have to wait a month for service which I find completely unacceptable. Other "tier 1" electronics companies usually offer replacements for manufacturer's defects but I guess not Nikon. Don't get me wrong I love their products just not their customer service.
I will post when my D80 is returned.
Cheers,
I am

Bruce Peltier Registered since 05th Feb 2007Mon 05-Feb-07 07:39 PM
#66. "RE: Battery indicator glitch"
In response to Reply # 65

US

I wrote previously that I had this problem (frequently). Based on what I read on this site, I decided to remove the lens and then put it back on tightly. I have used it since then to shoot three basketball games and have not experienced the problem one single time.

JeremyInMt Registered since 09th Jun 2004Wed 07-Feb-07 08:44 PM
#67. "My camera is now fixed."
In response to Reply # 0

Bozeman, US

I received my camera back today from Nikon. On the Invoice, it shows two things (besides cleaning and checking items which I won't list):
Repair SC 201117
RPL CCD

I'm assuming they replaced the CCD and repaired some other part but don't know what part it is.

The problem I had with the battery indicator and my Sigma 80-400 OS is non-existant now.

cafields Registered since 26th Sep 2006Fri 09-Feb-07 04:09 PM
128 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#68. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I bought my D80 in September and it was shipped on the first day they were released to the marketplace, so mine is an early model. I experienced this battery problem once, and thought it was just a fluke thing, and then shortly thereafter in early October I slipped on a rock in a riverbed and broke the housing and pop-up flash. I sent the camera to Nikon in California for repair, and since then have had absolutely NO problems whatsoever. I'm wondering now after reading this thread if they might have fixed the problem either knowingly or unknowingly during the repairs. I'll never know, but maybe.....

http://www.cafields.com

C. A. Fields

http://www.cafields.com

TampaNikon1 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2001Fri 09-Feb-07 04:25 PM
1070 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#69. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 68

Spring Hill, US

I've had my D80 since 2/1, take 500 shots, no problems so far.

Using Nikon 18-135 kit lens, Sigma 70-300 and Nikon 50 1.8.

Also using two Sb600s, no problem with flash.

S/N 3124XXX

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Bob
A Nikonian in Florida

Bob, A Florida Nikonian

"When you turn your camera on...does it return the favor?
"If Not get a "NIKON" !

dayneger Registered since 13th Dec 2005Sat 10-Feb-07 03:15 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#70. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Chur, CH

Unfortunately I need to add myself to the list, my new D80 has acted up with 2 brand new batteries and with both the 18-200 VRII and the 50mm/f1.8 lenses. Turning on and off revives the battery readout, but I never know whether I'll get 0 or 200 shots before the problem pops up again.

Cheers,

Dayne

Freed by Digital

golf1025 Registered since 01st Nov 2005Sat 10-Feb-07 08:09 AM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#71. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Amsterdam, NL

Hi,
You can add me to the list as well. I got my D80 (europe) sometime in september and use it almost exclusively with my 18-200 VR and the MB-D80 2-batt grip. I only started to notice the problem after upgrading to 1.01, but it this may be a coincidence. The problem occurs randomly, but only when i turn the lens out fully to zoom. At this exact situation the batt indicator turns to empty. When i turn the camera off & on, the sitaution is resolved, for a shorter or longer period. I removed the lens & put it back firmly, looked at the battery contacts (clean). So I'm still wondering what the real cause could be. Has sanyone experience with Nikon service in Holland?
Regards,
Jan

Jan (Amsterdam, NL)
D300 / Nikkor 35mm f2.0D / 50mm f/1.4 / 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VRII / Nikon 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5D / Nikon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D /SB-600 / Ricoh GR Digital / Tamron AF 17-50 f/2.8 / Sigma 10-20mm Kiron 105mm f/2.8 Lester Dine / Tripod: Benro C-227 w. KS-1 / Sekonic L-308s /Printer: HP B9180

uryn Registered since 12th Feb 2007Mon 12-Feb-07 01:38 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#72. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 71

I have the same issue. Unlucky when I went to service (Poland) everything was fine...

P.S.
It is so good that I'm not alone with my flashing indicato

D80/AF-S 18-200VR

torontojim Registered since 08th Nov 2006Wed 14-Feb-07 08:05 AM
#73. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 72

Toronto, CA

After starting this thread out of frustration, and going from feeling encouraged that I wasn't alone in having this problem, to feeling discouraged because no one was able to get any answers from Nikon, then being inspired by reading a couple of you had it fixed by Nikon... I am back to simply frustrated but also disapppointed. I partly owned a commercial photography firm before leaving to travel, and as a business spending A LOT of money we seemed to get very good service when we had to deal with Nikon through our supplier. Perhaps such is the case that from their viewpoint, the singular consumer is a viable source of revenue when calculated collectively, but as individuals, each is not worth providing reciprical service; get 1000 customers spending $2000 each and lose 4 or 5 through bad after-sales service is a good financial option, lose even 1 of 10 business customers spending $200000 is bad financial thinking. You may disagree, and that's alright, but this is just my opinion based on what I've read here and from my current experience.

Having gone through a lengthy discussion on the phone with Nikon Europe (in a previous post) where they would not even acknowledge that I had a problem despite being shown all the posts here from others, I sent my camera in for repair on their suggestion. I included a printout of this thread, highlighting those who have had theirs repaired, called and spoke to the Service Centre... and after a few days to let them examine it I called back. They replied in an unconvincing way that it was the lens' problem. Firstly, I said it's a Nikon 18-200mm VR lens, so then it's still a Nikon problem. No answer. Secondly, I said it happens with my other lenses - one Nikon and one Sigma. No answer. Then I said that others have had it fixed. Their reply was "do you know what they fixed?" They didn't read what I printed out for them, so I told them about the power base plate. "Hold please".... "We spoke to our head office for repairs and they said there is no problem that we can fix. It is a problem with the lens." What does one do when they don't give answer you and then come back with a dimissive response?? Short of going there and refusing to leave until they fix it, there is nothing the individual consumer can do. Disappointing from a company that benefits from a reputation of quality.

So now my camera is on its way back to me, nothing fixed, nothing done other than me spending money to ship it to Nikon. I sincerely hope others have better luck. I would suggest in hindsight, that you try to get some kind of acknowledgement of a problem and a commitment to address it, before you spend the money and time sending it in.

All the best, (and otherwise, it's a great camera for the money)
Jim

Harley Basic MemberWed 14-Feb-07 01:49 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#74. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 73

Kingston, CA

Jim - Perhaps those who are frustrated with Nikon's after sale service, or lack there of, should do what I did. Send a letter of complaint to:

NIKON CORPORATION
Head Office, Fuji Bldg.,
2-3, Marunouchi 3-chome
Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8331
Japan
Attention: KIMURA, Makoto
President of Imaging Company , Toyko, Japan

In the letter refer to their ‘Vision Nikon 21’ policy which states in part:

- Nikon exists thanks to consumers.
- If a consumer feels that Nikon products have enriched their life, then we've achieved our mission.
- It is crucial that we be trusted and loved by people worldwide.
- Nikon exists and prospers in harmony on all levels throughout the world.

If indeed Nikon’s goal is to insure that their customers have a warm and fuzzy feeling after the sale, than they have to do a lot better job with customer service than their doing now.

tundracamper Registered since 22nd Nov 2006Wed 14-Feb-07 05:46 PM
509 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#75. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 74

US

Has anyone played with the battery settings in the menu to see if that makes a difference?

I know when using AA's you are supposed to tell the camera that you are not using the stock battery via the software settings. Of course, the battery meter no longer provides an accurate reading of remaining power. If the unit behaved the same by blinking and freezing, at least you would know it's a hardware problem (i.e. the camera or battery) and not a software problem. I don't have this problem, but thought it might be worth trying.

sadowsky Registered since 25th Nov 2006Wed 14-Feb-07 08:05 PM
#76. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 73

New York, US

Nikon USA would not acknowledge a problem when I called them either. Nor would they acknowledge the converstaion on Nikonians.org. They said to ship the body only with nothing else (no lens, no battery, no SD card, no strap, etc.

The guy you are talking to on the phone is a clerk, not a technician. It is pointless to try to engage them in a conversation about the problem.

I would just send it back to them with a note describing the problem and tell them that it occurs with 3 different lenses. Just let them know this is the second time you are sending in the camera for the same problem but don't go into any details.

Just my 2 cents.

Roger

jimmE Registered since 18th Jul 2006Wed 14-Feb-07 11:12 PM
#77. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 76

Toronto, CA

In addition to the battery indicator problem which I too am experiencing, recently I have been getting a flashing Err message, and the camera goes inoperable. If I turn it off and on a few times, the Err message goes away and the camera starts working again, but it reverts to the default settings.

Also, sometimes when I try to take a picture, the shutter will release, but it sounds funny (like a "swoosh" instead of a "click"), and no picture is taken.

Do you think these could be inter-related problems? Has anyone else encountered these other problems??

-jim

JeremyInMt Registered since 09th Jun 2004Thu 15-Feb-07 07:29 PM
#78. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 77

Bozeman, US

>In addition to the battery indicator problem which I too am
>experiencing, recently I have been getting a flashing Err
>message, and the camera goes inoperable. If I turn it off
>and on a few times, the Err message goes away and the camera
>starts working again, but it reverts to the default
>settings.
>
>Also, sometimes when I try to take a picture, the shutter
>will release, but it sounds funny (like a "swoosh" instead
>of a "click"), and no picture is taken.
>
>Do you think these could be inter-related problems? Has
>anyone else encountered these other problems??
I wouldn't bother asking around...I would just list the problems and send it into Nikon. Yours sounds very broken.
>
>-jim

ABB Basic MemberWed 21-Feb-07 11:11 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#79. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Montevideo, UY

Dear Jim,
Thanks to a fellow nikonian I arrived at this Topic in D80 forum.-

We must thank Nikonians and these forums to know, as previously said, that we are not alone and that this problem is spread out with several cameras D80.

But the bad part is Nikon, You know I feel so upset... not even a word from them explaining this problem...
It is a fact that the hardware problem is confirmed by many people here in this forum and who knows out there, there would be several D80 owners experiencing the same problem...

As Nikon customer thru years, I have always thought that Nikon was a reliable company... I am very sorry to say that I was wrong...

This body is not cheap... I would expected some info in Nikon Official Website...

Again thanks nikonians for helping me to identify the problem so quickly...

So add me in the list
Camera Body 3067558
two batteries en-el3e in use
Lenses Nikkor 18-200 and 50-1.8D

ALEX

Alex

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 23-Feb-07 04:39 AM
11299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#80. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 79

Lowden, US

>But the bad part is Nikon, You know I feel so upset... not
>even a word from them explaining this problem...
>It is a fact that the hardware problem is confirmed by many
>people here in this forum and who knows out there, there
>would be several D80 owners experiencing the same problem...
>
>As Nikon customer thru years, I have always thought that
>Nikon was a reliable company... I am very sorry to say that
>I was wrong...

From reading this thread it looks like the repairs that have fixed this are not necessarily the same from camera to camera. It could be that Nikon really doesn’t have any useful info to give customers about this yet.

I really don’t believe that Nikon has anything to gain by hiding/denying problems. Also we really don’t know how many people have reported this to them or have had repairs done. Any company will only alert customers of problems when defect rate is unusually high.

The real test of reliability will be in repairing the cameras of anyone who has this or any other problem.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Jeffbo Registered since 23rd Feb 2007Fri 23-Feb-07 02:24 AM
#81. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm afraid I must add myself to the growing list of D80 owners with this problem.

My camera seemed fine for the first 2-3 months and then developed the shut-down with low battery indication when the battery was not low. Turning the camera off and then on restores the camera. So far this has happened in below freezing conditions but I'm not sure if that is related or not. It's frustrating.

I also got the blinking F-- error message which shut down my camera last weekend. I hardly ever take my lens off and the camera had been working fine a few minutes earlier. I don't know if these two problems are related or not.

I'm not encouraged that sending the camera in to Nikon will solve things after reading this thread, and yet I don't want to continue with a defective camera. Also, I have a trip planned in a month and don't want to be without the camera. I'm wondering if I should at least report it to the retailer.

Camera: D80
Lens: Nikon 18-200 VR
Battery: Nikon

Jeff

ABB Basic MemberFri 23-Feb-07 12:15 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#82. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 81

Montevideo, UY

I had informed and asked for information about this problem to Nikon USA website - Tech Support three days ago.- 2 reminders... no reply... Nikon USA: have you heard about customer service...?uuuhhhhhh

Have some one of you received any feedback from Nikon, I mean corporate and not from different Nikon Services, about this...?

Many thanks in advance for your kind info!

Alex

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 23-Feb-07 10:06 PM
11299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#83. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 82

Lowden, US

Alex,

Have you tried contacting Nikon by any more conventional means? A phone call or a visit to your nearest Nikon authorized retailer may actually get you some ware. I hope you know that this is not a Nikon affiliated site and they don’t read the posts.

This problem seems to be a physical problem in the camera so there is relay nothing they can tell you over the internet that will make it go away. You will need to send in the camera for repair so that Nikon authorized retailer is really where you should start.

I’m also wandering why you’re contacting Nikon USA when your profile indicates you are in Uruguay. I wouldn’t expect Nikon USA to be quick to respond to requests from outside of the USA.

>> Have some one of you received any feedback from Nikon, I mean corporate and not from different Nikon Services, about this...?<<<

Like I posted earlier Nikon Corporate is not going to comment on specific problem until the rate of occurrence is unusually high. We really have no way of knowing how widespread this is. This thread has been up here since November 8 and about 26 people have reported seeing this problem. That certainly does not indicate a widespread general problem with the D80.

I have a feeling that this is not problem on its own but a symptom of a verity of smaller problem. Anything that could cause the electronics to short or have a bad connection could cause this kind of symptom.

Again if you want this fixed you will need to take the camera in for repair. Requesting information about it will not fix your camera.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

ABB Basic MemberSun 25-Feb-07 01:32 AM
#84. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 83

Montevideo, UY

Dear Dave,

Many thanks for your reply and interest.

>I’m also wandering why you’re contacting Nikon USA when your
>profile indicates you are in Uruguay. I wouldn’t expect
>Nikon USA to be quick to respond to requests from outside of
>the USA.

Yes you are right but I had contacted Nikon USA because I bought my D80 in USA (at B&H)...
In Uruguay the camera was expected but with delay in November when I bought mine...
But good news!! I have finally received their kind reply, they apologized for late reply and; although I had sent them the link of this thread; I know Nikonians is not a Nikon affiliate but this thread shows that maybe we are a few cases but the failure do exist; Nikon USA states that the problem is more likely a problem with the battery itself. And asked me to send the battery to Nikon Digital Imaging Repair (Head Office - Melville, NY) to be checked and replace if necessary.

As Jeff in the last post, I had also wondered if this failure still exists with the MB-D80 grip.

I am receiving it next week and will keep you posted with my outcomes.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Alex

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 24-Feb-07 04:32 AM
#85. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 81

Lowden, US

>>I'm not encouraged that sending the camera in to Nikon will solve things after reading this thread<<

Why? After a quick scan of the thread there is only one person reporting unsatisfactory results after sending in the camera. There are several who sent in the cameras and no longer have the problem. Most have never reported back.

The cold weather very well could have been the culprit in your camera. Anything that could cause a bad electrical connection or short circuit inside the camera could show this as a symptom.

If I were you I would keep using the camera to see if you continue to have problems and if you look into sending it in after your trip. After all if there is a continuing defect it will not fix itself and Nikon can not try to fix it if it is not sent in. I would also go though your local Nikon dealer (have them sent it in) rather than sending it directly to Nikon myself.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Jeffbo Registered since 23rd Feb 2007Sat 24-Feb-07 11:01 AM
#86. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 85

>If I were you I would keep using the camera to see if you
>continue to have problems and if you look into sending it in
>after your trip. After all if there is a continuing defect
>it will not fix itself and Nikon can not try to fix it if it
>is not sent in. I would also go though your local Nikon
>dealer (have them sent it in) rather than sending it
>directly to Nikon myself.

Thank you dm1dave. That's very practical and sensible advice. I should add that I love the camera and have had loads of fun learning its features and I've taken some superb photos with it. This glitch is minor, but annoying when it crops up. I plan to do as you suggest. Best wishes from Toronto!

jeffysam Registered since 21st Dec 2006Sat 24-Feb-07 11:31 PM
129 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#87. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Has anyone had this problem using the MB-D80 grip? If so, please state so.

jeff

Artuk Registered since 20th Aug 2006Tue 27-Feb-07 01:18 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#88. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 87

Dover, US

I have the problem with the MB-D80.

I have a serial number under 305k, bought in October.

The problem occurs for me in about 1 in 50 shots. Its frustrating but I have gotten so used to it that I just flick the power switch on and off automatically.

I honestly can't recall when I noticed the problem... but lately its been occurring more frequently. I have been taking a lot of flash pictures in cold houses (house hunting in New Hampshire in winter.. fun stuff..). It happens regardless of which battery is the primary.

I am going to wait a bit to see what happens then consider sending my camera in. I am loathe to do so but I don't want to send it out during my prime picture taking time in the spring.

Mine is of the serial number series that has the amp noise problem.. so perhaps when I send it in they will do something for that too.

Chris

ABB Basic MemberWed 28-Feb-07 03:47 PM
#89. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 88

Montevideo, UY

Dear Chris,

Can you pls inform us the serial numbers with amp noise on D80?
Or may be a link with this info?
Many thanks!

Brgds

Alex

PinotNoir Registered since 22nd Nov 2006Tue 27-Feb-07 08:14 PM
#90. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Since I got my D80 back from Nikon technical service (Europe) end of january I 've took some 2000 pics and the problem still hasn't come back. So I suppose that if you would like to have the battery issue solved your best bet is sending it back through your retailer as I did. Although they've only did some cleaning work on/in my camera and no hardware repairs, it's the result that's most important for me.

Greetz.
D.

sodklo Registered since 04th Mar 2007Tue 06-Mar-07 08:09 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#91. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 90

SE

HI, I also had this problem;
My camera is only 3 weeks old; only one lens (18-200VR) and a SB-800. On Sunday I got the blinking battery plus some error messages. I got a tip to re-seat my lens. It could make sense, since the camera is new and it is my first DSLR, so I put the lens on ever so careful, I think I was rougher with my new born baby when she was new… I only have one lens so I never removed it since that first day. I have re-seated the lens, this time with just a little more force and at least today was problem free. Time will tell! If not I will take it in and get the pros to look it over. I hope that I do not have to do this; I want as much time with it as I can get right now… but if sending it in for 2-5 weeks means fixing the problem then there is no question at all it will be sent in, in the big picture that is a small sacrifice.
However I want to say that this problem (if it still is one!) does not affect my opinion of the camera at all, I think it is a great camera, I should not need to buy a new camera for a VERY long time, the D80 has so much room for me to grow as a photographer, that with a D80 it will never be the camera that missed the shot, just me! I understand that out of the X-amount of cameras Nikon pumped out there is bound to be a small % that have problems. That is life; the only thing that I am interested in is how Nikon will treat it if it is a problem?

Also just a thought, what about starting a specific thread for us with this problem; list the gear we have, some other info like the date it happened, maybe if the problem was fixed and how. Then at least we would have a list of the people that have similar problems, it might be helpful when talking to Nikon,,, if it comes to that.

sadowsky Registered since 25th Nov 2006Wed 07-Mar-07 08:33 PM
#92. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 91

New York, US

I'm sorry to report that 2 months after having my D80 serviced by Nikon for the battery issue, it has started to do it again. In addition to the low battery indicator on a full battery, today the camera would not respond after 2 shots with the built in flash for about 20 seconds. It did this several times.

I am sending it back to Nikon but I'm really beginning to feel like I have a lemon and I will end up selling it.

Can't decide if I should stay with the D80 or move up to the D200 or down to the D40.

roger

goldberg96 Registered since 11th Feb 2007Thu 08-Mar-07 03:02 AM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#93. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 92

Martinez, US

I have just finished this entire thread. I was getting ready to buy a D80, having felt that I had finally done enough research and was ready to spend money. But I've got to tell you that after hearing about so many people having this battery problem and Nikon not owning up to the problem and doing something about it, I am afraid to put my faith in Nikon and especially afraid to put my faith in a D80. I am just moving up from P&S and I don't expect to be able to take great pictures without doing a lot of studying, practicing, and moving up the learning curve slowly. But I can tell you that for around $1000, what I do not expect is to have to be meddling with my hardware to get it to work properly and sending my camera back to the manufacturer multiple times only to perhaps not be satisfied even after that. The last thing in the world I would try to do is bash Nikon. I mean I haven't even owned one yet. But it surprises me that so many people can be having this problem and yet so many people keep telling me to get a D80. Can some of you try to explain to me why this problem is not considered a serious flaw in the camera and why you are not willing to hold this against Nikon until it is fixed. If I had an experience like this with a $1000 piece of equipment, the last thing on earth I would ever do is recommend it to someone else.

Rob Goldberg
San Francisco Area Nikonian

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 08-Mar-07 04:58 AM
#94. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 93

Lowden, US

>>>Can some of you try to explain to me why this problem is not considered a serious flaw in the camera... <<<

This is a serious flaw when it occurs

>>...and why you are not willing to hold this against Nikon until it is fixed.<<<

From an earlier post. “This thread has been up here since November 8 and about 26 people have reported seeing this problem. That certainly does not indicate a widespread general problem with the D80.”

There are far more people who have D80’s with no problems then there are with problems. ALL complex electronic devices regardless of manufacture are going to have instances of defective products making it to the consumer. If you look hard enough you will find people who have had serious problems with every make and model DSLR ever made. If you try to wait for the 100% defect free product you will never get a new camera.

Think about the most reliable brand of cars you can. If you look around you can find 100’s of people who have had terrible experiences with that brand. Does that mean that all of their cars are bad?

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

goldberg96 Registered since 11th Feb 2007Thu 08-Mar-07 05:32 AM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#95. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 94

Martinez, US

I understand what you are saying but I have to take some issue with it. When people come to a car manufacturer, clearly corroberating each other's reports of the same problem, the car manufacturer doesn't get to say there is no problem. The consumer protection agencies would be all over them. Has Nikon even admitted to anyone that there may be some global exposure to this problem and are looking into it? And only 26 people on just one forum on the internet have reported this problem? Do you really believe that this is a small number? If the general buying public of the D80 were polled on this issue, since I am sure thousands of them have never even heard of this forum, do you believe it would still be only 26 people? Look at how many members there are on this forum. I am sure it is a pretty large number for a forum but compared to sales of D80's it's probably a tiny number.

I am not trying to make some global issue about Nikon or anyone on this forum. I have read literally hundreds of threads on this forum and think this is a wonderful information exchange. But I was getting ready to buy a D80. So what percentage probability would you say I have in having this problem? Of course that's really a rhetorical question since I realize you can't answer it. But that's the point. There is a 'known' problem that no one can say what your odds are of having if you buy one. All I am trying to do with this line of questioning is figure out if it makes wise sense to purchase a product that appears to have a known problem in a certain unknown percentage of the units being sold. I realize quite well that no one is making me buy it. I want it. But I don't want hardware or firmware problems that are already known to exist. Is Nikon even saying that if you have this problem, they will exchange your camera for a new one? And if people are seeing this problem since November, almost 4 months, and nothing conclusive has been acknowledged or done about it, that seems like what in any other situation would be called terrible customer relations.

Rob Goldberg
San Francisco Area Nikonian

GPSMapNut Registered since 05th Nov 2006Thu 08-Mar-07 01:05 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#96. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 95

Burlington, CA

There are just over 1300 threads in this forum. How many unique posters makes that? My guess is that makes less than 500 D80 users posting here. 26 people reporting problem? Well, in my book, that is a significant percentage! I bet that because the problem resets itself when the power is cycled, many more users experience the same but never notice or (just like me till now) don't consider it to be a real problem.
BTW, make that 27 users with the issue. I had this problem pop few times with my 18-200VR + Kenko 1.4 TC. The same set on D50 was never a problem.

Andrew Kalinowski

Photos: http://www.FotoCanada.ca
GPS hobby: http://www.GPSNuts.com
Topo maps: www.CanadianMaps.ca

Andrew Kalinowski

Photos: http://www.FotoCanada.ca
GPS hobby: http://www.GPSNuts.com
Topo maps: www.CanadianMaps.ca

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 08-Mar-07 03:16 PM
#97. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 95

Lowden, US

If you look back over this board you will see that widespread issues (like the exposure debate) come up you get hundreds of posts in a very short time. That hasn’t happened with this issue. Worldwide I am sure that there are more then 26 people who have seen this issue. I think if this was a more prevalent problem we would hear about it more here and on other forums and Nikon would make some kind of acknowledgment.

I think this issue is probably not a problem on it own I think it is probably a symptom of several other electrical issues. Some are solved by cleaning some have been solved by parts replacement. There is no one issue for Nikon acknowledge.

Every camera out there has had some issues that have started threads like this. If you are going to be afraid to buy a camera because of some thread on the internet were a few people are having difficulties then you should just keep your money and find another “safe” hobby.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

ShiftingScene Registered since 01st Mar 2007Sat 10-Mar-07 04:24 AM
#98. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 97

US

Here's my update. I've sent my D80 in for repair and the turn around time was 2 weeks (Not too bad). It came home today with the following on the Invoice Repair:

Service Repair Rank B2 = B2 Moderate Repair : Major Parts Replaced

- Repair SC 201117
- Adjusted Battery Drain
- CKD Auto Focus Operation
- CKD Exposure
- CKD TTL Flash
- CKD Shutter Release
- CKD Aperture Lever
- General Check & Clean

I will test tomorrow to see if this is really fix and will update.

rossoviolacea Registered since 10th Mar 2007Sat 10-Mar-07 12:12 PM
#99. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

Cassino, IT

Hello

I have the same problem. Usually I am shooting in A mode with Sigma 80-400 OS. Rarely I'm shooting with flash.
I'm writing from Italy and here I know at least 8 persons who have the same problem.

uryn Registered since 12th Feb 2007Mon 12-Mar-07 04:05 PM
#100. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 99

As I mentioned before I had the same problem. Since I unplug and plug again the lens (at least once per month) flashing battery indicator does not appear again.
Try this – I hope that will help you.

D80/AF-S 18-200VR

ShiftingScene Registered since 01st Mar 2007Tue 13-Mar-07 07:34 PM
#101. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 100

US

I didn't see the problem after they fixed it (approx. 100 shots), but I ended up selling it anyways over the weekend. Who knows if it'll come back or not. The main reason I got into this hobby is I want to do mainly night photography and some daylight landscape. I've read that a couple of features were important for this type of photography and that the D80 lacks (Mirror-Lock-Up and Uncompressed Raw). I didn't do my research well enough at the time. After I sold my D80, I was tempted to switch to Canon, either the 30D or the 5D since many say that Canon performs better in low-light condition. But since I've already have the 18-200mm VR and SB-800 I figure I will stick with Nikon. As it stands, I ordered my D200 this morning. Next up is the Nikon 12-24mm.

luminance Registered since 14th Mar 2007Wed 14-Mar-07 04:43 AM
#102. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

Unfortunately I am experiencing exactly the same issue with a D80 (18-200 VR lens). It worked like a dream for a couple of weeks then while using a fill in flash in a indoors situation the camera would not fire and the battery indicator flashed on one segment. Turning the camera off and on enable shooting to resume with the battery showing its correct, almost full, charge. After this it continued to intermittently lock up with the same symptoms with or without flash with no obvious set of conditions in common. I tried recycling the charge of the battery, cleaning the battery contacts (especially the centre control contact), reseating the lens, re-booting the camera all with no avail, the intermittent fault prevails. When the new firmware became available I updated this and it seemed to work for a while and then the problem resurrected itself yet again.

The most aggravating thing about this issue is that because the fault is intermittent and does not seem to be easily reproducible I can not demonstrate this to Nikon. The camera has been sent to Nikon for service but returned indicating with that it is operating within manufacturers specification. I normally shoot in P mode with Raw + Hi JPEG with the 18-200 VR lens.

albiesky Registered since 16th Mar 2007Fri 16-Mar-07 01:21 AM
#103. "Relieved...."
In response to Reply # 0

US

I thought I was the only one with the battery problem, but I see that I am not.

i bought my D80 when they 1st came out. 3011xxx serial number. Over the past few months, I noticed that my battery was never full. I would charge it and put it back in, but rarely looked at it since I do not take photos all day long.

In the past few weeks, I notice the battery looked about 25% full. I would place it in the charger and within an hour it would be not blinking. I put it back in my camera but it only showed about 40% charged.

Weird.. so I put the battery in the charger overnight. The next day it still only had about 40% charge. I put the battery in my D70 (you can use the D80 battery in the D70 but you cant use the D70 battery in the D80). The D70 said it was full, but back in the D80 it was still 40% full.

I have never had the camera not take a shot. I have never missed a picture because of the low battery indicator. The camera seems to work fine except for the indicator. I usually shoot in Aperture mode with my 18-200vr and often have the Sb600 on it for fill flash or flash for indoors.

I accidentally put the battery in the D80 while the switch was in the ON mode. As I put it in, I thought, 'Oh sh*t, I hope that doesn;t mess up the camera since the manual says to put the battery in/ou with the camera off, I saw the battery indicator go to full and stay there. Now the darn battery indicator is working.

I may send it in to Nikon USA for diagnosis and treatment.

Oh, by the way, this is my 1st post here, but I mainly post on dpreview. I asked the dpreview D80 people and no one has mentioned that they have the same problem, so I was somewhat relieved that others have the same problem so that Nikon might know how to fix it if others have been looked at.

"There is no try, just do"

jules75 Registered since 02nd Dec 2006Sat 17-Mar-07 06:27 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#104. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

OK, might as well add my name to this thread. I've had my D80 (and 18-200 VR) for a couple of months now without issue. Well, that was until a few days ago when the battery indicator started going from full to empty. I've read the this thread at length, and it's obvious the problem isn't unique to my camera.

I've checked the details of my battery, and it's in good condition and 87% charged. However, all through the day it's been playing up. Switching the camera on and off sometimes helps. As does switching to manual focus.

It's proving very fustrating as I'm on holiday at the moment and can't send it for repair.

I've just upgraded the firmware to 1.01 in the hope that it will improve the situation.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread to see how others get on.

gduguay Registered since 03rd May 2007Sat 17-Mar-07 02:00 PM
#105. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 104

CA

Same problem here, got the camera in Dec 06, worked fine until the end of Feb 07, battery indicator started to act strangely, camera would not shoot until the power switch was cycled.

Just sent the camera to Nikon Canada, hopefully it will be fixed properly.

Gilles

tpoore Registered since 10th Oct 2006Sun 18-Mar-07 01:21 AM
#106. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"

I had the same problem and returned the camera to Nikon. They didn't replace anything, just cleaned a number of things which I'm sure didn't need cleaning as the camera was almost new. When I got the camera back it had the same problem within a few minutes of using it!

I called Nikon and told them I wasn't happy with having spent $37 to ship it to them only to have the same problem occur immediately. They sent me a shipping label and the camera is now back with Nikon once again, we'll see what they do with it this time. Nobody at Nikon seems to want to acknowledge that this is a common problem, presumably because a recall would be very expensive.

chimphappyhour Registered since 23rd Mar 2006Tue 20-Mar-07 12:13 AM
652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#107. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 106

Liberty, US

All I have read in this thread has made me very nervous about buying this camera. I called Nikon to see what they have to say about it, and that was even less encouraging. I pressed a little and they just deflected with silly answers. According to the rep, they have never heard of this problem. I told them that I've read several reports of this, and they said it was just silly internet talk. They then asked me where I had read it, I told them about this thread here. The rep stumbled a bit and said I should look around someplace reputable like dpreview! I've looked around dpreview before, I can't say I can trust this rep, at all, and since Nikon hired him..... >

jules75 Registered since 02nd Dec 2006Sun 18-Mar-07 05:58 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#108. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"

GB

The update to firmware 1.01 didn't make any difference. Camera battery indicator came on several times today.

yunfat Registered since 22nd Dec 2006Mon 19-Mar-07 07:51 PM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#109. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 108

US

Mind as well add my name to the list also, intermittent battery failure with two different nikon batteries. Since this is an intermittent problem, it's very hard for me to replicate with any certainty (ie things I did). I don't see how it might be my fault either, since I baby all my cameras. I have a very early serial d80 and sometimes it will report a flashing battery indicator mid shoot, with the only fix being to turn off the camera and then turn it back on again.

Don't know what I am going to do yet, as this week there has been no problems.

artist37 Registered since 07th Nov 2006Mon 19-Mar-07 11:44 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#110. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jim,
Had the same problem and found that my VR 18-200 was not fully engaged on the mount....When I fully locked the lens by turning fully to the right my problem was solved. Sounds simple, but it worked for me. Have had no problems since and really like my D80.
Hope this helps,
Irv S

golf1025 Registered since 01st Nov 2005Wed 21-Mar-07 07:27 PM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#111. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 110

Amsterdam, NL

Hi Irv S,
I have the same experience that when I retighten the lens (18-200) the problem goes temporarily away (2 months interval) and then suddenly occurs again. It would be nice, however, if someone knowledgeable could explain the relationship between the contact of the lens on the lensmount and the effect on the battery readout (and the subsequent system shutdown) and also why flipping the power switch resolves it (for a while at least).
BTW, I also use the MB-D80 but don't think this relates to the problem.
Jan

Jan (Amsterdam, NL)
D300 / Nikkor 35mm f2.0D / 50mm f/1.4 / 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VRII / Nikon 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5D / Nikon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D /SB-600 / Ricoh GR Digital / Tamron AF 17-50 f/2.8 / Sigma 10-20mm Kiron 105mm f/2.8 Lester Dine / Tripod: Benro C-227 w. KS-1 / Sekonic L-308s /Printer: HP B9180

dlroberts Registered since 16th Mar 2007Thu 22-Mar-07 03:23 PM
#112. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 111

Gambrills, US

I was hit by the "low battery" last night -- two different batteries, even after charging overnight. 18-200 VR, but not using flash. After, reading this email stream, I'll try to re-seat the lens tonight.

peepers Registered since 26th Dec 2006Sat 24-Mar-07 08:19 PM
#113. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 112

i have the same issue . i cant remember if it started before or after the VR 18-200.

i just did the lens off and on trick. lets see how that goes. it seems the best thing to do is send it back and hope for the best???

golf1025 Registered since 01st Nov 2005Sun 25-Mar-07 06:36 PM
#114. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 113

Amsterdam, NL

Since Nikon does not acknowledge that there is indeed a problem and because of the difficulty of reproducing the problem at a Nikon servicepoint, I've decided not to turn my camera in. I'm afraid I'll just be missing the camera for a few weeks. And get it back without the guarantee that the problem has indeed been solved for good.
Jan

Jan (Amsterdam, NL)

Freezerburn Registered since 15th Jun 2006Sun 25-Mar-07 10:58 PM
194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#115. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 114

London, UK, GB

It's happened to me in the past, but ONLY with the Sigma 150mm macro. It seems it's only that, & the 18-200 VR that makes it do this? I'm not bothered, I hardly use that lens in anyway lately..

My Gallery

jules75 Registered since 02nd Dec 2006Mon 26-Mar-07 05:26 AM
#116. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 110

GB

As as a test I unlocked and relocked my VR 18-200 lens and after a couple of days the battery indicator hasn't been back on. Maybe the fault is with the D80s lens mount?

Li432Paul Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2007Mon 26-Mar-07 07:34 PM
#117. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Last week I purchased a D80 body with the vertical grip from Berger-Bros in Amityville NY and also had the low battery problem after about 10 shots. So I took it back the next day and exchanged it with a D80 with 18-135mm kit. That was it for me. Sure enough it had the same low battery problem again. So I brought it back for a refund. The Berger-Bros manager gave me such a difficult time with the refund. After arguing with him for over an hour he finally took it back. I'm still waiting for my refund check. I'll wait till Nikon corrects the issues before I buy another D80.

sodklo Registered since 04th Mar 2007Wed 28-Mar-07 06:00 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#118. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 117

SE

Hi again,

After many hundreds of photos I have not had the battery problem again. For me it was enough to re-seat the lens. Since then it has worked problem free. Maybe there is a slight problem with the lens mount on the D80?

But for me this Camera IS everything I expected... I love it.

gduguay Registered since 03rd May 2007Fri 06-Apr-07 11:56 AM
#119. "Battery Indicator Update"
In response to Reply # 118

CA

Just got back my D80 from Nikon Canada Repair center. They did not do much from what I can see: Replaced the battery (claimed the battery was weak), clean and adjust... I will see how it goes.

Gilles

johnizat Registered since 28th Feb 2007Sat 07-Apr-07 12:58 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#120. "RE: Battery Indicator Update"
In response to Reply # 119

Toronto, CA

I have a Nikon D200 (December 2005)and various lenses and two different batteries with the same occasional intermittent problem in both cold Canadian winter weather and hot Florida weather.

The last time it happened, I carefully cleaned the contacts on the lenses, camera mount and batteries. It has been OK now for over a month.

I also make sure I carefully close the battery compartment door to make sure I hear a clear "click" on the latch indicating full closure.

When changing lenses, I make sure the lens is carefully seated as well.

The above seems to have solved the problem for me. I will be interested to follow this thread to see if there are are any definitive answers from Nikon in the future.

John at JBIPix

John from Toronto
JBIPix
http://jbipix.blogspot.com

gloria Registered since 07th Apr 2007Sat 07-Apr-07 05:20 PM
#121. "RE: Battery Indicator Update"
In response to Reply # 120

I also have a D80 which I purchased in December. I started having the same problem in January. I thought it was the battery. I cleaned the contacts and had the same problem. The only way I could get some photos was shutting it off, turning it back on, and then getting a couple shots off.

I returned the camera to Nikon for repair. It was returned a couple weeks later. I used the camera to photograph an event that was a few days after the return of the camera. The same behavior started again. It was extremely embarrassing as I was taking a group shot when the camera started having problems. Turning it on and off didn't immediately clear it up. Luckily I had a D70 with me.

I will add that I had one of the early model D70s. On the last evening of a "photo" vacation, the D70 died. It was only then that I realized there was a recall. I returned the camera to Nikon, was not charged for the repairs (because of the recall) had it back in a week, and never had a problem with it since.

I am VERY surprised that two days after the return of the D80, the same problem is going on -- not at all what I was expecting! I will be calling Nikon again this week.

dredmuns Registered since 08th Apr 2007Sun 08-Apr-07 12:20 AM
#122. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 118

US

For what it's worth, I was able to "reproduce" it three times in a row. (D80 with 18-200) I did this by twisting the entire lens back and forth. Each time, the battery would go from full to empty. Turning the camera off and on would fix it. Interestingly enough, my fourth, fifth, etc. efforts to reproduce it have been unsuccessful. I re-seated the lens and cannot reproduce it. However, those three "successes" do make it look like a lens mounting issue.

Some background data... I experience the problem a lot today, taking pictures in 20 degree weather with some minor fog/mist. I had thought the cold and moisture could be involved, but my tests were done after the camera had warmed up for several hours back at the house.

toby14 Registered since 09th Apr 2007Mon 09-Apr-07 05:11 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#123. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 0

My D80 just started doing it last week. My son had it out today with a Sigma 80-400 OS lens and it was doing it like crazy. If Nikon refuse to acknowledge this as a major problem on this model I think it might be time to notify the press. I am also going to check consumer law on this as I reckon my camera is not fit for purpose and should be replaced. I will phone Nikon tomorrow as I can't find any email address for Customer Service. My serial number is 8018988 and it was bought here in the UK in December.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 10-Apr-07 07:34 AM
#124. "RE: D80 battery display shows 'empty' but is full??"
In response to Reply # 123

Paignton, GB

This thread has become very long and is now slow to load and generally unmanageable.

A continuation thread has been started here.

See you all over there

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #5590 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.