Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #5469
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Download D80 settings spreadsheet" Previous topic | Next topic
peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Mon 06-Nov-06 07:10 PM
718 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Download D80 settings spreadsheet"

Durban, ZA

Good day
Well, I finally took up the suggestion by another member of modifyng the D200 spreadsheet so here it is. This spreadsheet allows you to view and select any options available in the Shooting menu and the Custom menu of the Nikon D80.

In the shooting menu I have provided 4 columns for different settings to be used for different shooting subjects and conditions. It helps me to have a printout of these settings handy as an easy reference.

Please feel free to correct any mistakes or modify as needed (reference numbers in manual?).

PS: Version 1.1 now has the options for Black & White selected in the custom settings menu and reference page numbers from the manual have been added.

The latest version of the spreadsheet can be downloaded here:
www.peterhowells.co.za/downloads/D80_Custom_Settings_v1.1.xls

Cheers
Pete

Peter
http://www.peterhowells.co.za

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 06-Nov-06 08:02 PM
29083 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Thanks very much, Pete - good work

I've edited your post to anchor the thread at the top of the Forum.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

djlynch Registered since 18th Oct 2006Wed 08-Nov-06 12:28 AM
512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks for your work. Really great.
Are the settings you have in the Shooting menu the settings YOU use for action,portrait, etc?

Dan - A Cincinnati Nikonian
D300 | 18-200 | 70-200 | 24-70
80-400 | Preserving Things That
Fade with Time...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Wed 08-Nov-06 03:10 AM
718 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 2

Durban, ZA

Those are the basic settings I use - I do change them sometimes based on the situation though.

Peter

djlynch Registered since 18th Oct 2006Wed 08-Nov-06 11:40 AM
512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks Peter,

I'm a newbie...
In shooting indoor basketball in poor lighting (I use an 85mm 1.8) would you use:

Dynamic or Single
Centerweighted or Matrix
AF-Continuous? or AF-Single

Thanks,
Dan

A Cincinnati Nikonian

Fade with Time...

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Wed 08-Nov-06 12:39 PM
#5. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 4

Durban, ZA

Indoors with poor lighting - always a problem area. I would start with Single area and AF-C to try and track my subject. I would then move to Dynamic area to compare the two and ultimately choose the AF area that works the best in that situation.

As for metering, that would all depend on the overall dynamic range. It is was a low contrast scene, I would probably use matrix metering which tends to gives brighter results. If it was a high contrast scene I would probably choose centre-weighted which seems to work better when there are bright and dark subjects in the same scene. YMMV though.

Hope this helps a bit.

Peter

djlynch Registered since 18th Oct 2006Wed 08-Nov-06 02:32 PM
#6. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Yes it does...thanks
Thanks,
Dan

A Cincinnati Nikonian

Fade with Time...

norbu Registered since 08th Nov 2006Wed 08-Nov-06 04:56 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks for the helpful spreadsheet. I can suggest a small correction. The default for the FUNC button displays ISO, it is not FV lock. The display ISO is real helpful when using auto ISO. I see that you don't recommend auto ISO, which I think is a great feature, one that sets this camera apart from it's competitors.

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Wed 08-Nov-06 06:47 PM
#8. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 7

Durban, ZA

Thanks for that correction regarding the default setting for the FUNC button. I will bear it in mind when (if) another version is posted. Of course, this spreadsheet belongs to Nikonians so anyone here can modify/improve/correct it and repost it

Regarding Auto ISO: I personally think that it is a great feature and do use it often when shooting action or when hand-holding the camera. However, if for example I am shooting a function or wedding, I have it switched off as I want complete control, I want to shoot at ISO 100 and the camera is usually mounted on a tripod so I don't need the ISO to be increased to keep a certain shutter speed.

Using the FUNC button to view the ISO is useful to check the ISO setting when setting it manually but when Auot ISO is on, being able to check what ISO the camera has selected seems pointless to me - you have no control over it anyway so you might as well let the camera get on with the job of adjusting it automatically. I find the FUNC button much more useful as a Spot meter especially in difficult lighting situations where the DR is high.

Of course YMMV - this works for me though.
Cheers

Peter

intrepid24 Registered since 28th Oct 2006Sat 11-Nov-06 03:12 AM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Long Island, US

Fine work, and Thank You Peter.

Intrepid24
Long Island, NY

MaskedRider Registered since 07th Nov 2006Wed 15-Nov-06 08:34 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

US

OK. Call me a NooB, but I don't understand something. This is my first Dslr, and I am going through the menu and settings on the spreadsheet, but can't seem to find how to make the changes recommended on the sheet.
On the "shooting Menu" tab, under "action" and "landscapes", there are a couple of cells highlighted in yellow that differ from the manual settings. However, as I walk through my camera's menus, having the dial set to "action" (the little person running), it won't let me make the changes. "Optimize image" is grayed out, and won't allow changes. Same for "landscape".
I won't necessarily shoot with these settings, but would like to know how to make the change in the event I'd like to. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.

djlynch Registered since 18th Oct 2006Wed 15-Nov-06 08:36 PM
#11. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Yes...you make those setting in either P,S,A, or M, will not let you make chnages in the presets.

Fade with Time...

MaskedRider Registered since 07th Nov 2006Thu 16-Nov-06 05:27 AM
#12. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Dan:
Thanks for your reply.

OK, so for the purpose of the spreadsheet - are these the "default" settings for action and landscape, and they are listed so we know the difference?

This is so new to me that initially when I was reading the manual, I did not know what aperture or shutter priority were. I'm learning! This spreadsheet has helped a lot with getting to know my way around the camera, and what different settings will do.

Thanks again,

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Thu 16-Nov-06 08:39 AM
#13. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 12

Durban, ZA

Good day

To answer your first question - I am not sure if these are the settings for the in camera landscape, action, portrait, etc. picture scenes. I don't know of anybody (besides Nikon) that know what the complete in camera settings are for those scene modes.

The spreadsheet is specifically for the PASM modes. The reason I added 4 columns to the spreadsheet are so that I can adjust the settings for 4 differnet shooting subjects. I then print it out and have a quick and easy reference to keep with me. The camera of course can only be set up for any one of those custom settings.

The settings that are in the columns are not the default settings for the headings ie landscape, portrait, etc. They are my settings - the ones that I use. You can keep to those settings or adjust them according to what you feel more comfortable with.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Peter

pixels2 Registered since 16th Nov 2006Sun 19-Nov-06 09:20 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 13

batavia, US

i have found your information extremely helpful.i also am new to dslr.it is a great starting point.the only time it seems to need adjusments for me is shooting indoors with low light situations.thanks a lot. mike

djlynch Registered since 18th Oct 2006Sun 19-Nov-06 10:32 PM
#15. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Indoor with low light is the toughest...on basketball in gyms I learned from another Nikonian to use Manual f2,1/400-500 shutter speed...worked great.

YMMV

Fade with Time...

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Sun 16-Dec-07 11:45 PM
1963 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 15

NL

>Indoor with low light is the toughest...on basketball in
>gyms I learned from another Nikonian to use Manual
>f2,1/400-500 shutter speed...worked great.

I'm a newbie too!!! and have discovered (never actually thought about it before, but now I'm stuck!!!) that most of my shooting is in horribly lit high school gymns, or worse, trying to track teenage meteors (who are sometimes actually also playing basketball). So I REALLY need some help.

But you say f2. Isn't that an aperture you're using? And is that possible, when almost none of my lenses are "faster" than f2.8?

AND, sometimes I try to set the exposure manually, or in aperture priority, and it's really dark, and suddenly the camera says EE, and it simply won't budge, not a bit, until I turn on the lights or make the aperture smaller, which I completely don't understand. I thought if it's dark, and the camera is set on M or A, the camera is supposed to just figure out that it needs to keep the shutter open longer?

???

What is it that I've done wrong, and how can I re-establish productive communication with my camera?

-- LaDonna

— LaDonna

libo1949 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th May 2007Tue 22-May-07 06:37 AM
332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 13

Eindhoven, NL

dear Peter,

I am new to Nikonians and just bought a D80. Going through the manual now. I find these forums very usefull.
From what I understand you select A(perature) as exposure mode and then use the settings of the spreadsheet for the different shooting scenarios (Point&shoot, action, landscape, portet).
But the camera also has settings for these scenario's (using the selection switch). Did you try these original settings? And why don't you use these settings? You write that you don't know the original Nikon settings. But I assume that the Nikon-guys must have thought about this as well.

thanks,

Libo

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Wed 23-May-07 05:38 AM
#18. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 17

Durban, ZA

Hi Libo

When starting out the scene modes are definitely an option to use. However, when the camera is in a scene mode, certain other options are not available. To get full control over all camera options you need to use P, A, S or M modes.

Good luck.
Cheers

Peter

Areopagus Registered since 07th Nov 2006Thu 30-Nov-06 08:41 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Pontypridd, GB

Peter,

Thanks for this incredibly helpful spreadsheet. Do you mind if I share this with other D80 users, or is this something limited to Nikonians?

Sincerely,

Bill Lollar
Wales, UK

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Fri 01-Dec-06 05:37 AM
#20. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 19

Durban, ZA

Hi Bill
Its a pleasure. You can give it to anyone you like
Cheers
Pete

Peter

Almark Registered since 17th Sep 2006Sat 02-Dec-06 11:03 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 20

GB

This is what I use,

Image Quality: Raw
Raw Compression: Off
White Balance: Auto -1
Long Exposure NR: Off
High ISO NR: Off
Image Sharpening: +2 (high)
Tone compensation: Low
Colour Space: Adobe
Colour Mode: II
Hue Adjustment: 0°

When i open in CaptureNX I change sharpening back to none, and at the end of editing I use USM of 50/6/4 for general shots, 35/8/10 for portraits and 55/5/4 for landscapes.

All the best
Mark
My Flickr Site

All the best
Mark
My Flickr Site

abhija Registered since 28th Sep 2004Mon 04-Dec-06 02:16 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 21

Bombay, IN

Hi,
Do these settings apply to RAW images also? Or only for JEPGs?
Thanks.

Abhijit

frblock Registered since 17th Nov 2006Tue 05-Dec-06 05:38 PM
#23. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"

US

Hi...

What is the USM settings you refer to? I'm a newbie to the D80 and learning a TON here so far...

Thanks!
Regards - Fred

Kind regards -
Fred

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006Wed 06-Dec-06 05:00 AM
1384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 23

Naples, US

Just curious as to why you use AA Ni-MH in your custom settings instead of the default AA alkaline. If I recall from the manual, one should leave it at AA alkaline if you're using the EN-EL3e batteries, and only change it if you're using AAs of a different type in the MB-D80 grip. Are you shooting AAs instead of Nikon EN-EL3es? (I recently picked up a second EN-EL3e for the grip, but I think I like using my high capacity Duracells better!)

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Wed 06-Dec-06 05:12 AM
#25. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 24

Durban, ZA

The camera uses the custom battery setting only if you are not using EN-EL3e's. I am using 2500 mAh Ni-MH AA's in my battery grip, hence the custom setting. I keep the EN-EL3e in my bag as a backup but haven't had to use it yet as I get more than 1200 shots on the AA's.
Cheers

Peter

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006Wed 06-Dec-06 05:19 AM
1384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 25

Naples, US

Ah, that's what I figured. Having tried the pair of EN-EL3es, I too prefer the high capacity AAs since I get many more pics out of them. Charging them in 15min is a nice plus as well.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

gwholmes Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2006Thu 07-Dec-06 09:58 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"

Concord, US

When you use USM are you doing it on the image itself or in LAB?

karlhoelscher Registered since 05th Oct 2006Fri 08-Dec-06 03:48 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 27

New River, US

Question: From what I gather on this spreadsheet, it's a listing of all of the settings. Is there anything out yet that gives recommendations of various combinations of settings for different shooting situations?

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sat 09-Dec-06 04:03 AM
#29. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 28

Durban, ZA

I haven't seen any official combinations of settings for various shooting subjects other than the ones posted by Nikonian members here. FWIW, the ones that I use are the ones in the downloaded spreadsheet for those 4 situations - I have found that these settings work very well and are a good starting point. Of course, YMMV.

Cheers

Peter

gokce Registered since 14th Dec 2006Fri 15-Dec-06 06:21 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 29

hi,

Im newbie to digital slr as well and trying to figure out all color spaces and etc..

in your spreadsheet, under color spaces menu for example you use Ia for action and IIIa for landscape in RAW format.

Is this spaces embedded in camera to RAW picture when taken and if so when opening in RAW editor in photoshop what color space should we choose.

I was guessing that in RAW format, camera does not embed any color space to pictures and we chooes the options in RAW editor when opening in photoshop..

tks / Gokce

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sat 16-Dec-06 08:45 AM
#31. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 30

Durban, ZA

When taking a photo the camera includes a colour mode with the photo, either Ia (less vivid for portraits), IIIa (more vivid greens for landscapes), or II (AdobeRGB giving a wider gamut of colours). These colour spaces can be changed during editing if the photo is a raw file.

I normally stick to Ia or IIIa for all my photos - I haven't found the need yet for AdobeRGB as I find it unnecessarily complicates my post-processing. All images printed at a lab or posted to the web should be sRGB (Ia or IIIa). YMMV, however with regard to using AdobeRGB.

Cheers

Peter

Rooz Registered since 21st Dec 2006Thu 21-Dec-06 09:43 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 31

AU

prob a stupid question but i will ask anyway...
if i make the changes you suggest using the 3 different settings you recommended will they change permananty, so that each change i make will be saved for future use each time i use the camera ?

eg: i want to change..
P = p/s recommendation
A = portrait recomm
S = action recomm
M = landscape recomm

etc

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Fri 22-Dec-06 05:09 AM
#33. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 32

Durban, ZA

Good day

The PASM modes in the camera are fixed modes and are totally independant of any custom settings that you set in the camera. P is for program where the camera automatically chooses the aperture and shutter speed combination. A is aperture priority: you choose the aperture and the camera chooses the corresponding shutter speed. S is shutter priority: you choose the shutter speed and the camera selects the corresponding aperture. M is manual, where you choose both the aperture and shutter speed.

The 4 lots of settings listed in the spreadsheet are for your benefit only. Each time you want to change settings you need to change all the settings in the camera corresponding to what you have chosen in the spreadsheet. Unfortunately, you would need to move to the next model up (D200) to be able to store all 4 lots in the camera simultaneously.

Hope this helps.
Pete

Peter

Manuductor Registered since 23rd Jan 2007Thu 25-Jan-07 04:07 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 33

Round Hill, US

Pete,

I am a Newbie and not up to speed with all the technical language I see in the email exchanges. I used to shoot a Mamiya 7, and love the B & W prints I have in my office. The clarity and detail are stupendous. I just bought a D80. Any suggestions on how to get B & W photos like the ones I got on my Mamiya?

Thanks.

Matt

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Fri 26-Jan-07 06:00 AM
#35. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 34

Durban, ZA

Hi Matt

I am not familiar with the Mamiya at all but do know that the D80 can shoot in B&W directly. If you change the Optimize Image to B&W you then have the option to shoot in standard mode or to change the B&W filter. Changing the filter gives different results but I am not sure which one could compare to your existing images (hopefully someone else can give some advice here, or maybe post a new query for all to see).

I do not do my B&W conversions in camera. I shoot in colour and then convert using CaptureNX.

Cheers
Pete

Peter

Manuductor Registered since 23rd Jan 2007Fri 26-Jan-07 04:57 PM
#36. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 35

Round Hill, US

Pete,

Thanks. Very helpful. I have used only the software that comes with my Micosoft Office package: Microsoft Office Picture Management. It does a so-so job. Mostly, I take family pix, do some cropping and lightening, and post them on Smugmug.com for family and friends to see.

I have not printed any of my photos, but have heard a lot about Photoshop and may look into that when I have the time, if I plan to have any of my stuff printed. Converting to B&W in Photoshop might be best way to go.

I have looked at some of your pix on your website. Fantastic stuff. I envy your talent.

Best,

Matt

Manuductor Registered since 23rd Jan 2007Fri 02-Feb-07 04:16 PM
#37. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 36

Round Hill, US

Pete, Thanks again for the info on B&W. I tried what you suggested and what appears in the manual but it didn't work. I am bringing the camera to a camera store to see whether they can get it to work. No B&W choice appears on the menu. I may have to shoot in color and print in B&W.Matt

TheRD Registered since 05th Jan 2007Fri 05-Jan-07 06:27 PM
#38. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Oxnard, US

Thanks so much Peter! The spreadsheet is a tremendous help.

Marieke Registered since 24th Jan 2007Thu 15-Feb-07 06:17 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 38

NZ

I must be one of very few people left that doesn't have Excel on their computer. I'd love access to this spreadsheet but can't open it. Is there another way to get this? Can it be converted to Word ?(no idea if that's possible). Please? I'd be ever so grateful.

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Thu 15-Feb-07 09:24 AM
#40. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 39

Durban, ZA

Hi Marieke

Converting the spreadsheet to another program is not possible as it is an interactive spreadsheet that requires input from the user.

There are some free Office type programs that may be able to read the spreadsheet correctly - OpenOffice is one that I have used. It is a large file but can be downloaded from www.openoffice.org

Alternately, Microsoft have got a free Excel viewer which can be downloaded from their website.

Of course the best solution would be to install a version of Excel on your computer. Try to find someone who has bought the new version and is selling an older version of Office (Office 2000 maybe?).

Cheers
Pete

Peter

Marieke Registered since 24th Jan 2007Thu 15-Feb-07 07:36 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 40

NZ

Thank you very much Pete. Much appreciate your reply and pointing me into the right direction. I like your suggestion of buying an older version. I'll certainly look into that.

louieescobar Registered since 28th Jul 2006Thu 01-Feb-07 11:23 PM
#42. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks Pete....It's really a big help for me....Thanks for sharing!!!

sigaud Registered since 02nd Feb 2007Fri 02-Feb-07 05:10 PM
#43. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

one more thank you from a brand new Nikonian.
Fred

Randy_S Registered since 01st Feb 2007Sun 04-Feb-07 04:17 AM
#44. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 43

Thanks Pete. Very helpful.

xrayman Registered since 21st Feb 2007Wed 21-Feb-07 10:23 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#45. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Good day
>Well, I finally took up the suggestion by another member of
>modifyng the D200 spreadsheet so here it is. This
>spreadsheet allows you to view and select any options
>available in the Shooting menu and the Custom menu of the
>Nikon D80.
>
>In the shooting menu I have provided 4 columns for different
>settings to be used for different shooting subjects and
>conditions. It helps me to have a printout of these settings
>handy as an easy reference.
>
>Please feel free to correct any mistakes or modify as needed
>(reference numbers in manual?).
>
>PS: Version 1.1 now has the options for Black & White
>selected in the custom settings menu and reference page
>numbers from the manual have been added.
>
>The latest version of the spreadsheet can be downloaded
>here:
>www.peterhowells.co.za/downloads/D80_Custom_Settings_v1.1.xls
>
>Cheers
>Pete
>______________________________
>Peter Howells
>South Africa
>http://www.peterhowells.co.za

peter,

I was wondering if you had this in a pdf file also as i don't have excel on my computer. i would appreciate this 110%. thank-you.

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Fri 23-Feb-07 04:59 AM
#46. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 45

Durban, ZA

Tim

Converting this spreadsheet (although possible) would render it useless as it is a dynamic sheet with list boxes allowing you to choose settings for different situations.

Downloading and installing the free Excel viewer from Microsoft might be the best option.

Regards
Pete

Peter

xrayman Registered since 21st Feb 2007Fri 23-Feb-07 12:51 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#47. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 46

US

peter,

i have downloaded the excel and thank-you for your reply. i have a question about it though. if i am shooting indoor action like the one below, what would my settings be like?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/kanaikid/rc%20album/lhslimgravy.jpg

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Mon 26-Feb-07 06:55 AM
#48. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 47

Durban, ZA

Hi Tim

For indoor shots it all depends on how much ambient light you have available.

A good starting point would be to look at the Exif info for that image:
Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 30D
Image Date: 2007:01:21 11:58:56
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 200.0mm
CCD Width: 4.00mm
Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO equiv: 1600
White Balance: Manual
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

As you can see the lens that he was using was a fast lens (f/2.8) and he was shooting at ISO 1600 to give him a reasonably fast shutter speed of 1/250s.

On the D80 I would shoot in continuous mode (3fps) and the focus mode would be dynamic, AF-C mode.

For the other settings I would have to play around and check the histogram after every few shots to see what works.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Pete

Peter

BillF64 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2003Mon 12-Mar-07 03:59 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#49. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Bayside, US

Peter,

I was looking at your spreadsheet settings and all seem quite well thought out with the exception of "action" photos. Isn't the point of most of those kinds of photos to stop action or at least get good images of moving subjects. I would think that Shutter Priority mode would be better suited for that, as well as a high(er) ISO. With Aperture Priority, and especially at the relatively low ISO that you suggest, you would always have to be aware of and make sure that your shutter speed is not too slow, which would result in blurred photos. Using Shutter Priority set to an action-stopping speed and an ISO of 400 or higher (ISO 800 is optimized for low noise in the D80 and would be a good setting to use for action shots - it would provide the necessary depth-of-field as well) would probably work much better.

Bill

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 13-Mar-07 05:27 AM
#50. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 49

Durban, ZA

Hi Bill

My settings for action photography are a starting point. Although switching to shutter priority may be better for your use, I always shoot in aperture priority with my lens wide open which produces the fastest shutter speed possible under available light conditions. For action, I also have AutoISO set to on with a maximum ISO of 800 and a minimum shutter speed set to 1/125s. This allows the shutter speed to be dictated by the set aperture but if there is not enough available light then the ISO is raised to keep the shutter speed at a min of 1/125s.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Peter

BillF64 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2003Wed 14-Mar-07 12:48 AM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#51. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 50

Bayside, US

Peter,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have become a fan of Auto ISO myself and use the same setings as you do, i.e. ISO 800 as a Max setting. In my line of work, doing "live" (well almost live, just a few minutes after the fact) digital slide shows on plasma screens at wedding receptions, Bar/Bat Mitzvah parties and other affairs of that nature, it has worked very well for me. Rather than stopping action, it allows my flash to have a greater range of coverage. Occasinally I will have to go to a higher ISO if needed, but not often.

Bill

55tr5 Registered since 14th Jan 2007Sat 17-Mar-07 07:44 PM
#52. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi! Regarding the spreadsheet,I am really new at this was wondering how you can be in P mode and still use aperture as stated in the pre-shooting setup.

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Mon 19-Mar-07 05:20 AM
#53. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 52

Durban, ZA

Hi Robert

My headings at the top may be a bit confusing - I should have written it out in full. The P & S heading doesn't stand for Program and Shutter, it stands for point and shoot, a general mode useful in photographic situations when you don't really want to think about camera settings. (I have changed the heading to reflect this )

As for Program mode, I never use it myself as I prefer to be more in control over the aperture I am using.

Cheers
Pete

Peter

55tr5 Registered since 14th Jan 2007Fri 23-Mar-07 03:06 AM
#54. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 53

US

Hi! Pete Thanks I was confused this explains it.
Bob

SilverS8 Registered since 12th Oct 2006Wed 21-Mar-07 06:31 AM
#55. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

NL

Hi Peter,

I have been reading all the positive responses to your spreadsheet. I'm trying to download it from your site but can't seem to access it. Is it maybe unreachable?

Can you or anyone possibly mail me the sheet? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

Nel Registered since 13th Mar 2007Sat 24-Mar-07 08:59 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#56. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Cherry Hill, US

Hello Peter,

I went to your website and viewed the wedding pictures you took. They are awesome and terrific pictures! Did you use your D80?

I have been covering mostly wedding pictures both in black & white and color back in the Philippines and in the 70's. I used all Nikon cameras for the wedding coverage. I processed my own film and prints. I came to America in the 80's and at present working as a building superintendent in one of the prestigeous hi-rise apts. in Cherry Hill NJ. I sold all my cameras except one which I brought a Nikon F2 with me for sentimental reason. I have been shooting pictures here for families and vacation.

I'm new to digital and started with a Canon A80 point & shoot which gave me good pictures and I still have it. But I still missed the SLR quality. Well, last year I bought the Nikon D50 and was happy with it until the D80 came along.

Now I own both the D50 w/18-55 and D80 w/18-135. I was happy to print out your spreadsheet on the D80. I've been practicing with your settings and so far so good. I'm still trying to master these two cameras. One day I hope to enroll in photography course and would like to go back covering weddings.

Thank You,
Lionel

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Mon 26-Mar-07 04:36 AM
#57. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 56

Durban, ZA

Hi Lionel

All the wedding photos on my website were taken with a D70. Although I've had a D80 since it was released, I haven't had the courage to use it at a wedding yet as the metering is very different to my other cameras. Now that I know the camera and its capabilities I will be using it in its first wedding in 2 weeks time.
Good luck with the photography.
Cheers

Peter

vragec Registered since 26th Mar 2007Sun 01-Apr-07 06:25 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#58. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Ljubljana, SI

tnx a lot . it's helpful

garysc Registered since 05th Oct 2006Mon 09-Apr-07 11:27 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#59. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 58

Santa Cruz, US

Peter, I can't seem to access your web site either on the link at the top of this post nor on http://www.peterhowells.co.za/. I would love a copy of the D80 spreadsheet. Please let us know when and how it might be available again. Sounds like you have made a wonderful contribution to the D80 world.

gerryjuson Registered since 06th Apr 2007Mon 09-Apr-07 11:53 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#60. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Las Pinas, PH

Hi Peter,

I also tried to download the spreadsheet but your site is still unavailable. I'd be grateful if you can maybe attach a copy of the file here.

Hi all,

If anyone has a copy of Peter's spreadsheet, do share the file with us and I'll be very thankful.

Best regards.

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sat 14-Apr-07 05:16 AM
#61. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 60

Durban, ZA

Hi all
Sorry I haven't replied - have been away. I have just checked my site log and it was only down for 1 day. It is definitely up and running now and has been for the last week. Sorry for any inconvenience caused however.
If anyone is having a problem and would like the spreadsheet, just send me a personal mail and I will respond with the file attached.
Cheers
Pete

Peter

Merasl Registered since 09th May 2007Fri 11-May-07 06:44 AM
#62. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Hello
Thank you for sharing your D80 spreadsheet. I am a newbie here and have only had my D80 for 2 days and haven't taken a single shot yet (waiting for weekend and SD card). I thought that entering your custom settings would be an excellent way to help me familiarise myself with the camera and menus before I take the camera out for use.

I've never come across such a large number of menu options in a camera before and creating your settings has helped me understand what's there and what they do, even though it took me an hour our more to figure out that I could not move the spot meter position unless the camera was acively metering! There remains one setting that has me defeated despite employing all your user settings: multiple exposure. This shows off and when I try to alter to adjust number of shots I just get a message saying not available with current settings.

Not that I will want to use this feature for a while, if at all, but it frustrates me that I have obviously done something wrong somewhere and can not use it if I should want to. Please can you help?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Many thanks
Steve

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Mon 14-May-07 04:30 AM
#63. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 62

Durban, ZA

Hi Steve

You are correct about the multitude of options available - cameras are certainly not basic anymore.

Regarding your problem, the only thing I can think of that may prevent you from getting into the multiple exposure option is that the camera mode selector is not on either P, A, S or M. Selecting one of the built in scene modes will not allow you access to multiple exposures.

Hope this helps and happy shooting.

Cheers
Pete

Peter

Gailanne Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Nov 2006Fri 18-May-07 07:51 AM
#64. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 63

Southampton, US

Peter
As the new owner of a D80, this is a great tool. Thanks so much for sharing.
Gailanne
NJ Nikonian

seanmacman Registered since 06th Dec 2006Sun 20-May-07 08:37 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#65. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 64

OK, I just downloaded this spreadsheet, but frankly I have no idea how it is used.
So, could anyone please explain how one would go about and use this sheet?
Thank you very much.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 20-May-07 10:45 AM
29083 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#66. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 65

Paignton, GB

>So, could anyone please explain how one would go about and
>use this sheet?

The spreadsheet needs to be opened in Microsoft Excel, but I'm sure you knew that...

Using the spreadsheet is not an automated process. It simply lists the default values for each of the items in the D80 Shooting Menu and Custom Setting Menu, along with a "suggested" starter arrangement. The idea is that you (manually) set the values in your D80 to those in the spreadsheet, then if you wish, adjust them as you get used to the camera and record any changes you make (manually, again) back into the spreadsheet.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

seniorjudge Registered since 18th Jun 2007Mon 18-Jun-07 02:54 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#67. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 66

US

I apologize if this question has been asked and answered in this thread; I did not read the last two years' worth of replies.

On the shooting menu spreadsheet, under "point and shoot" is states that the optimize image can be "Vivid".

But on my camera, when I try to change the optimize image on auto, it says that the option is not available.

My question is: Am I doing something wrong and, if so, how do I cure it?

Thanks.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 18-Jun-07 03:20 PM
#68. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 67

Paignton, GB

It probably has been answered before, but there's no harm in repeating good advice

The optimise image settings are only available in P, S, A and M modes, not in AUTO or any of the scene modes.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

seniorjudge Registered since 18th Jun 2007Mon 18-Jun-07 03:43 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#69. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 68

US

>The optimise image settings are only available in P, S, A
>and M modes, not in AUTO or any of the scene modes.

So then the column in the spreadsheet which is now entitled Point and Shoot should read what?...Manual?

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 19-Jun-07 05:20 AM
#70. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 69

Durban, ZA

Hi Bill

The columns in the spreadsheet are 4 shooting styles that I use frequently - you can change them to whatever heading you want to. These styles are meant to be used when the camera is in either the P, S, A or M modes and not in the easy modes on the mode dial. If you have the camera in one of the 'point and shoot' modes then you have very little control over the custom settings in the camera.

So, to answer your question, the column entitled Point and Shoot should read Point and Shoot. It lists the settings that I use (in Aperture priority mode) for general picture taking.

Of course, the beauty about having a D80 is that you can experiment and change these settings until you find ones that work for you.

BTW, the only time I put the camera onto one of the fixed modes is when I am giving the camera to a non-photographer to take some pics of me and I know then that I will get a semi-decent image.

Regards
Peter

Peter

seniorjudge Registered since 18th Jun 2007Tue 19-Jun-07 01:08 PM
#71. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 70

US

Peter....

Gotcha!

I really appreciate the spreadsheet and the time you took in answering me.

I stepped up from my faithful FM this week and finally went digital.

I really miss the depth of fields on the shutters; I have never been able to see a depth of field preview. Maybe my eyeballs just weren't made for that!

This is a great forum!

...Bill

gobogie Registered since 12th Jun 2007Sun 22-Jul-07 07:00 AM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#72. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks

www.corygoodson.smugmug.com

McCoy Registered since 21st Jun 2007Thu 26-Jul-07 10:14 AM
#73. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

thanks for sharing!

tonybuae Registered since 17th Sep 2007Wed 19-Sep-07 02:35 AM
#74. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Dubai, AE

Hi Pete,

Useful info... thanks for sharing!

Cheers, Tony

Lynceus Silver Member Charter MemberThu 18-Oct-07 01:19 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#75. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 74

Louisville, US

Thanks Pete, you are real philanthropist to share so generously.

festina lente, make haste slowly

jennaba Registered since 04th Jun 2007Wed 24-Oct-07 02:27 AM
#76. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks Pete! I'm going to have a great time with this!

pelima Registered since 05th Oct 2006Sun 04-Nov-07 10:02 PM
#77. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

DK

Thanks Peter I have been looking for this overview, this will help me fore sure.

/Peter

Happy Flasher Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sat 24-Nov-07 09:07 PM
#78. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks for the spreadsheet. Can you tell which program to use to open it? Thanks again ~ this time in advance........Steve.

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sun 25-Nov-07 04:18 PM
#79. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 78

Durban, ZA

Hi Steve.
The spreadhseet was created with Microsoft Excel, one of the apps which is part of Microsoft Office. It can be opened with Excel in Micorsoft Office 2000 or greater. Double-clicking it in Explorer should automatically open it.
Hope you find it useful.
Cheers

Peter

D80, D200, Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 18-70mm, 18-200mm VR, 70-200mm VR, 80-400mm VR, Sigma 105mm f2.8, 100-300mm f4, 1.4x TC, SB800.

Peter

Happy Flasher Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sun 25-Nov-07 06:33 PM
#80. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 79

Hi Steve.
The spreadhseet was created with Microsoft Excel, one of the apps which is part of Microsoft Office. It can be opened with Excel in Micorsoft Office 2000 or greater. Double-clicking it in Explorer should automatically open it.
Hope you find it useful.
Cheers
Peter

Thanks Peter. The info was useful I've just got to get a copy of excel now That'll be why it didn't open automatically. I got a dialogue box that said that windows couldn't open it because it didn't know what program created it. It shouldn't be a problem now I know what I need. Thanks again....Steve.

hansenlars Registered since 17th May 2007Tue 04-Dec-07 03:55 PM
#81. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Great Pete,

Appreciate you posting.

Lars

cpatinjone Moderator awarded for a wide variety of photography skills Charter MemberThu 20-Dec-07 05:29 PM
6267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#82. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Breaux Bridge, US

Hi Peter,

Thank you.

Have a great day!
"From the Atchafalaya Basin, in Cajun Country, Louisiana, USA"
Cpatinjone (Carolyn)

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers
"Share, Learn and Inspire"

NikoScope® - Find Photography Friends From All Over The World

Nikonians Academy - Master Your Photography
www.nikoniansacademy.com

igwt642 Registered since 06th Jan 2008Mon 14-Jan-08 01:42 AM
#83. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Youngsville, US

Pete,
Thanks, I have had my camera for a few months and I have not had much luck outdoors in sunny situations with it I hope this will help me. I am new to the digital world and am having a tough time converting. Appreciate your posting very much.
Thanks,
igwt642 (Debbie)

Not4wood Registered since 27th Nov 2007Sun 20-Jan-08 08:08 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#84. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 83
Sun 20-Jan-08 08:43 PM by Not4wood

Queens, US

Thanks for the spreadsheet. Its a great starting point to play with.

Debbie,

Why don't you post a shot that you think is not correct and I'm sure a lot of the very experienced people will help you. You are not saying why you think your shots are not correct.

First, have you read any of the manual? I know, its in another language LOL. I purchased the Nikon D80 Digital Field Guide by David D. Busch and its helped me tremendously. It does (D80) have a very big learning curve but it just takes a lot of patience and practice.

If you want you can also email me. I think the link is on the top right. I would be glad to help as I'm sure a lot of others as well.

Mark G
Not4wood
Nikon D80 w/kit lens 18-135, Nikon 70-300VR, old Vivitar 283 Flash, Manfrotto 055CL CLASSIC Tripod and a Manrotto 486RC2 Ball Head, Wacom Graphier Tablet

Not4wood Registered since 27th Nov 2007Sun 20-Jan-08 08:43 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#85. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"

Queens, US

>OK. Call me a NooB, but I don't understand something. This
>is my first Dslr, and I am going through the menu and settings
>on the spreadsheet, but can't seem to find how to make the
>changes recommended on the sheet.
>On the "shooting Menu" tab, under "action"
>and "landscapes", there are a couple of cells
>highlighted in yellow that differ from the manual settings.
>However, as I walk through my camera's menus, having the dial
>set to "action" (the little person running), it
>won't let me make the changes. "Optimize image" is
>grayed out, and won't allow changes. Same for
>"landscape".
>I won't necessarily shoot with these settings, but would like
>to know how to make the change in the event I'd like to. Can
>anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
>Thanks in advance.
>

Masked Rider;
Or anybody that has been having problems with the camera over riding your settings changes that you have made.

For the changes to take effect, you have to use one of the Manual Settings on the Dial on the Top Left of the D80.

If lets say for example your changes will be made for the Sports Actions. If you keep this Dial on the Sports Settings you will Over Ride any changes you have made for the Default Sports Settings. On the Spreadsheet it says for Sports to set this Dial to the (A) Aperture Priority Setting. Or you could also use any of the Manual Settings like (M)Manual or even (S)Shutter Priority.

Mark G
Not4wood
Nikon D80 w/kit lens 18-135, Nikon 70-300VR, old Vivitar 283 Flash, Manfrotto 055CL CLASSIC Tripod and a Manrotto 486RC2 Ball Head, Wacom Graphier Tablet

2furyus Registered since 17th Dec 2006Mon 21-Jan-08 10:19 PM
#86. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Thank you for the valuable info.

Ariana Registered since 21st Jan 2008Mon 21-Jan-08 11:51 PM
#87. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 86

US

I havn't read all the replies. Has anyone mentioned where a similar spreadsheat or so is available that I can open with a different program? I don't have excel.

Not4wood Registered since 27th Nov 2007Tue 22-Jan-08 02:39 AM
#88. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 87

Queens, US

I don't have Excel, I opened it with Quatro Pro. I usually don't use Microsoft Products if I can help it. I have a WordPerfect Pack that came with my HP Pavilion.

You can use any Spreadsheet Program. Download the Spreadsheet and remember where you put it. Once saved, then open your Spreadsheet Program and then hit Open. Once you hit open, you can then point the Program to this Spreadsheet and also then you can print it as well.

Mark G
Not4wood

JVE Registered since 04th Feb 2008Tue 12-Feb-08 05:12 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#89. "Optimize Image - RAW Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I was just wondering if the Custom Only settings (Sharping, Tone Comp, Color Mode, Saturation, and Hue Adjustments) apply when the Image Quality is set to RAW? I would think this would apply to only JPEG. Also, is there a reason why JPEG is picked over RAW? I just assume RAW would normally give you a 'better' picture.

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Fri 15-Feb-08 04:47 AM
#90. "RE: Optimize Image - RAW Mode"
In response to Reply # 89

Durban, ZA

You are right in that the custom settings only get applied to the jpg image when converted. However, when opening a NEF file in Nikon software (ViewNX, CaptureNX) these settings are applied to the raw file which therefore gets me closer to the end result, thereby shortening my processing time.

There is no real reason for using jpg over raw except that processing maybe quicker if you have a slow computer. For the record I never shoot anything anymore on jpg only.

Cheers

Peter

D80, D200, Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 18-70mm, 18-200mm VR, 70-200mm VR, 80-400mm VR, Sigma 105mm f2.8, 100-300mm f4, 1.4x TC, SB800.

Vandyu Registered since 02nd Apr 2006Sun 24-Feb-08 05:00 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#91. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 87

US

I downloaded a free version of Excel Viewer and everything worked fine. You cannot edit with it. Only read the D80 settings sheet and print it out. But, that's a great help. You also might consider downloading a trial copy of Excel for 60 days. I just hate to have trial ware on my computer. Here is more information:

http://us1.trymicrosoftoffice.com/product.aspx?re_ms=oo&family=officepro&culture=en-US

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1cd6acf9-ce06-4e1c-8dcf-f33f669dbc3a&displaylang=en

dbguy4eva Registered since 08th Jun 2007Sat 08-Mar-08 05:14 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#92. "RE: Optimize Image - RAW Mode"
In response to Reply # 89

US

Sweet!! Thank you!

NFG Registered since 05th Jul 2007Tue 18-Mar-08 12:27 PM
661 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#93. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"

Saint Martin-des-Fontaines, FR

If the menus are greyed out thats because youve selected one of the pre-programmed auto modes which wont allow adjustment.

Set the dial to M A S or P to make menu adjustments, but suggest perhaps you become more familiar with the basics before doing so (see stickies in D80 user group home) & consult some of the on-line guides:

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d80/index.shtml seems quite intuitive if completely new &

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/users-guide/menus-setup.htm shows how to achieve his desired set up, which may work for you

Along with the manual which is available in PDF format if you search for it.

Above all, dont tweak until you know what you want to change and why & record what you have changed in case it has the wrong effect!

Regards

Noel

Automatic? thats far too clever for me...

sandybank Registered since 06th May 2008Fri 16-May-08 02:48 PM
#94. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"

US

I see the terms colour space and Colour mode in your posting. How do I check these? I can find them on the D80 menu.

aldewitt Registered since 16th May 2008Fri 16-May-08 04:37 PM
404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#95. "RE: Optimize Image - RAW Mode"
In response to Reply # 90

Jefferson City, US

It is said that a single conversation with a wise man is worth a year's study. Just reviewing this thread has been tremendously helpful to me.

Thank you for sharing your insights and knowledge. If you're ever in this part of the world, let me treat you to a Kansas City steak.

Regards

A. L. DeWitt
Jefferson City, MO

Cameras allow us to share the beauty in God's creation with others.

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Mon 19-May-08 05:37 AM
#96. "RE: Optimize Image - RAW Mode"
In response to Reply # 95

Durban, ZA

Thanks for the kind words Anthony. However I feel that the trip from Africa to Kansas City may be a bit long for someone who is used to the African outdoors
All the best.

Peter

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Mon 19-May-08 05:40 AM
#97. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 94

Durban, ZA

Hi Sandy

You may need to enable your full menu system in the custom menu options. By default the camera is set up to only display a portion of the most used menu items.
Hope this helps.

Peter

sandybank Registered since 06th May 2008Mon 19-May-08 12:34 PM
#98. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 94

US

Thank you. I have the full menu enabled. I have also searched in the D80 manual and cannot find either term. I'll keep searching!

dagon1 Registered since 22nd Apr 2008Tue 20-May-08 12:54 AM
#99. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Brisbane, AU

Thanks for your endeavours.
The fonts in the Shooting Menu columns (from Point and Shoot to Landscapes are not visible on black and white printing and I am unable to change them from my Excel (I use the program to open the file but don't use it day to day). Could you kindly change to some other colour which is B&W printer fiendly? Cheers.

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 20-May-08 06:20 AM
#100. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 99

Durban, ZA

Hi Reggie
You seem to have a problem with the setup of either your printer or your version of Excel. I have tested the spreadsheet on both my monochrome and colour printers and both print fine. Also, the spreadsheet is not protected in any way so you should be able to change the fonts to whatever you need.
Cheers

Peter

silverjam Registered since 19th Aug 2008Tue 19-Aug-08 11:52 AM
#101. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Canberra, AU

Thanks Pete

D80, MB-D80, AF-S NIKKOR 18-135mm, TAMRON AF 28-200mm , SIGMA APO 170-500mm, SB-400

guyd78 Registered since 25th Aug 2008Thu 04-Sep-08 06:52 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#102. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

US

This spreadsheet is awesome. It would save the beginner a ton of time with the initial settings.

One question. Is there something similar to this for the D50? I will probably be purchasing a D50 instead of the D80 for my first SLR. A sheet similar to this would be great.

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Fri 05-Sep-08 05:42 AM
#103. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 102

Durban, ZA

I don't know of any spreadsheet that has been written for the D50. It is a much simpler camera to set up though with fewer options so you shouldn't have too much bother with it. If you do get stuck, help can be found in the D50 forum.

Peter

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Mon 15-Sep-08 01:11 PM
3056 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#104. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

Peter,

Thanks for sharing your D80 setting spreadsheet. Do you plan to make one for the D90?

Rocky

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 16-Sep-08 05:29 AM
#105. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 104

Durban, ZA

>Do you plan to make one for the D90?

No. I think I've done my bit. I don't plan on buying a D90 - I don't feel it is enough of an upgrade on the D80 for what I shoot and I also have the D300. Writing the spreadsheet is a bit difficult if you don't have the camera in your hands.

Peter

Chris35rt Registered since 28th Jun 2008Thu 18-Sep-08 01:30 AM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#106. "RE: Download D80 settings spreadsheet"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Peter well done and thanks for taking the time to put this information together and sharing it with others.

Chris

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #5469 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.