Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #463
View in threaded mode

Subject: "10 mp as a P&S upgrade ???" Previous topic | Next topic
JKM Silver Member Charter MemberSat 05-Aug-06 12:14 AM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"10 mp as a P&S upgrade ???"

Attica, US

From what I can gather in this forum, the "new" camera seems to be aimed at the D50 / D70 / P&S upgraders.

AND, from reading postings on the D200 and D2X sites, a 10 - 12 mp sensor requires some "professional" handling to get non-soft (i.e sharp) pictures.

I hope they are not setting themselves up for a lot of disappointed users that are unable to get sharp pictures due to inexperience.

Does anyone see this as a problem or am I being overly pessimistic?
And if not a problem, why is this 10 mp sensor / camera different than the the D200 and the D2X?

Just thinking outloud.

Kevin

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
dwayner Registered since 15th Jan 2005Sat 05-Aug-06 12:45 AM
262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 10 mp as a P&S upgrade ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

I think you have a very valid point. If you target a more broad market they will not have the best glass either. If professoinal photogs needed to sharpen their technique with the D2X and D200 then how will others do???

This could be an interesting point??

I am not thrilled about working with larger files either. Need bigger cards, faster computers. I really dont need that many MP. 6 is plenty but people would of complained if there was less than 10.

alegria Registered since 20th May 2006Sat 05-Aug-06 05:12 AM
82 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 10 mp as a P&S upgrade ???"
In response to Reply # 0

US

hi,

to answer or speculate on your comment. i have a Fuji F30 (p&s), a D70s and a D200. i think all the above mentioned cameras need good technique to get the most out of them.

but, i will admit that the d70s is slightly more forgiving than the d200. my reasoning, based on experimentation, is that the D70s' shutter has less motor snap than the d200's. i think the shutter on the d200 contributes to camera shake. using mirror lockup when posible increases sharpness.

another perceived difference is the in camera sharpening. most consumer oriented cameras will look sharper out of the box. my fuji is the sharpest by far straight out of the camera followed by the d70s. the d200, mainly targeted to higher end users, the camera takes USM very well and is understood by the user that USM should be applied to taste.

the new D80 being consumer oriented and speculation has it that it will most likely have 3fps. the shutter will most likely act like the d70s and contribute less to camera shake. the in camera sharpening will probably be set higher and will look sharper before post processing. nikon might go as far as to use a weaker anti aliasing filter to give it a bump in perceived resolution.

so i dont think 10 megapxl will be an issue and the d80 will surely please. but knowing digital camera users there's bound to be something to pick apart.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 05-Aug-06 10:23 AM
6521 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 10 mp as a P&S upgrade ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

AND, from reading postings on the D200 and D2X sites, a 10 - 12 mp sensor requires some "professional" handling to get non-soft (i.e sharp) pictures.

That's a bit misleading. If you were to take a shot with a 6-MP camera and then again with a 12-MP camera, handling them in exactly the same way, then make same-sized prints of the two images, the image from the 12-MP camera would be at least as sharp as the one from the 6-MP camera.

What happens is that people tend to inspect images at 100% on their computer screens. In the case of the 10- or 12-MP camera, that results in being zoomed in more on the image, and that's why camera shake, focus errors, lens distortions etc become more noticible.

If new D80 owners are printing their photos at the same sizes as they were with their old cameras, they'll be happy with the results. And if they do use good technique, they'll find they can make even larger prints (or can crop more).

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

JKM Silver Member Charter MemberSat 05-Aug-06 01:56 PM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 10 mp as a P&S upgrade ???"
In response to Reply # 3

Attica, US

That is my thinking as well. But according to some of the information on the other forums, the higher resolution of the sensor, captures more glass flaws, and camera shake from poor technique. Therefore poor technique may look OKish on a 6 mp camera but not be as forgiving on a 10 to 12 mp camera. At least that is how I understand the responses on other forums. Of course I could be mistaken and not understand the responses properly, but things like
example 1
example 2
make me think this way. If the experienced photographers are having trouble, I wonder what inexperienced photographers will encounter.
I know it has kept me from rushing right out to get a new higher resolution camera until I spend some more time and money on classes for my technique and then justify better glass, then justify better camera.

Then again, there may be more to the picture than meets the eye. A Full Frame 10 mp sensor would be more forgiving !?!?!?!?, or maybe a different target market than beginners ?!?!?!?

Only The Shadow Knows !!!!

Just a thought.

Kevin

westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007Sat 05-Aug-06 03:23 PM
771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 10 mp as a P&S upgrade ???"
In response to Reply # 4

California, US

I just purchased a D200 last week as an upgrade from my D70 for Sports, my sons starting footfall and I will be the teams photographer. I had taken photos of soccer and football with the D700, but the fps and focus tracking left something to be desired in action photography. I took close to 100 frames of practice on Friday with the D200. About 90 of them were technically perfect shots, with the ball in the frame. I could of not obtained those results with the D70.

There are more features, but if you read a couple of the guides on how the AFC works, it's not hard to set up the camera correctly. Once the camera is set up you can save those settings in banks / custom so they can be switched back too at any time. Having the additional controls on the back of the camera makes it easier to use, not harder. Shoot in the medium format if you don't need 10 mega pixels, it's about the same as large on the D70. Use iso 200 to 400 with sharpening +1 and optimize image and you can't go wrong.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ttedrow Registered since 31st Jul 2006Sat 05-Aug-06 10:57 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: 10 mp as a P&S upgrade ???"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I may be the person that you are talking about. For years I used a Minolta 7000i film camera. Not quite pro but, it did a nice job for all of my family shots. In 1998 I got my first digital, 2meg Kodak, and I have shot only two rolls of film since. In 2003, I bought a Minolta Z2 and have been mostly happy but I still miss the lens and flash option of a SLR.
So, for the last 6+ months I have been looking at ALL of the SLR's on the market and the D80 might fill my needs (wants). I don't think that I will ever turn pro but I do want a camera that I can live with for a long time. I may take some animal pics that I will submit for publication or sale. Also, as I move closer to retirement, I would like to do more landscape shots as I travel.

Two questions for this experienced group:

1. Do you think the D80 will fill my wants?

2. Are Nikon KIT lens worth the money or a waste?

fspeeder Registered since 06th Jan 2005Sun 06-Aug-06 02:22 AM
1418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: 10 mp as a P&S upgrade ???"
In response to Reply # 6

Barrington, US

1. absolutely.

2. I think the 18-70mm DX is more than worth the money. The lens can retail for a lot more if it were not made in Thailand and were not a kit lens. I do not know other kit lenses though.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #463 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.