Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252032
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Nikon Did It Right" Previous topic | Next topic
karma1248 Registered since 10th Sep 2012Sat 03-Nov-12 04:07 PM
80 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon Did It Right"
Sat 03-Nov-12 04:20 PM by karma1248

Los Alamos, US

HI All,
I should have written about this sooner. I've been away from photography for about 5 years. Getting back into it again, I discovered my D70 was not working. It failed just sitting on the shelf. I researched the problem on Google and found that this was a recognized problem back a few years ago when the D70 was a current product and most warranties were still in effect. Nikon repaired the problem under warranty. Unfortunately for me, my D70 was many years past the expiration of my warranty.

Looking at the used price, a working D70 is worth around $250 now. Armed with this information, I called Nikon requesting a warranty repair. While in this process, Nikon did a repair estimate and it was about $350. The camera was not worth repairing.

So being a stubborn type, I worked my way through the Nikon managerial hierarchy, being sweet as honey but firm, explaining that my problem was a known problem and it even had an internet name. Nikon service recognized the problem name even though it actually was a folk name. This was definitely a warranty issue if the camera was still under the warranty. But, it wasn't, by a lot.

Much to Nikon's credit, my camera was repaired free. I was granted a "Complementary Repair" in name of good customer relationships and the fact that I am a long time Nikon customer. I received the camera back after about two weeks and the problem was repaired. I had a working D70. I was glad. I use the D70 as a backup to my D2's and for casual tourist shooting. I like it a lot. I did not have to throw it away which would have hurt.

So I celebrated by buying a used 18-200 lens. It doesn't take much for me to talk myself into a new lens!!

I think Nikon deserves a lot of credit. They did not have to do this.

Sparky

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 03-Nov-12 06:46 PM
25009 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon Did It Right"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Sparky,

Glad to here it worked out well for you.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ttc546 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009Sun 04-Nov-12 05:35 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon Did It Right"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 04-Nov-12 05:36 PM by ttc546

Camberley, GB

Nice to hear and hits my number one hot button - Customer Service. It is THE most important differentiator to winning customer business. Simple to give but even easier to get wrong.

My very first job was working for the John Lewis Partnership where customer service is ingrained into the culture of the business from day 1. Where going out of your way above and beyond what might be expected is instilled in every employee. It is what makes that company the number 1 store in the UK.

Nice one Nikon.

Chris

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252032 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.