Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251983
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D90 Access Lamp/Green Light of Death" Previous topic | Next topic
MarcG19 Registered since 16th Apr 2009Mon 22-Oct-12 07:14 AM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 Access Lamp/Green Light of Death"

Arlington, US

Hey All,

This weekend my D90 (after many years and around 20K actuations) started exhibiting this problem: access lamp unceasingly blinks after I take a shot. I'm going to try the "reset and let sit for a few days" remedy, but if that doesn't work....

... it seems my only option is to send it to Nikon for repair. A bit of googling tells me this'll cost $200 and is not covered by Nikon's warranty (the camera is still covered by the warranty).

Is this correct?

If so, I have to really consider whether or not it's worth it. I think the ebay price for a decent condition D90 is around $400, and given that mine is in a bit rougher condition, I'd probably get $3-350 for it, meaning that it would be better to sell it as a defective/for parts only unit.

However, at least in the meantime, I can just remove the battery and/or SD card when I'm not shooting, in order to preserve battery life.

Thanks,

Marc
Soon to be Canon shooter (j/k - even with this issue, I've gotten my $$'s worth out of this camera)

Cheers,

Marc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"90% of my best life's work could have been made with a manual body, a 24mm lens, and a telephoto zoom in the 80-200 range"
- Galen Rowell
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Mon 22-Oct-12 01:48 PM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 Access Lamp/Green Light of Death"
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, CA

Hi Marc.
Sorry you are having difficulty.
I have a D90 but no you cannot have it for parts
But, green light flashing, is it not the accessing data light?
Could it be a bad memory card?
To me, this is more likely.
Here's hoping your problem is minor.
Terry.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

MarcG19 Registered since 16th Apr 2009Mon 22-Oct-12 02:02 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 Access Lamp/Green Light of Death"
In response to Reply # 1

Arlington, US

Thanks. However, it unfortunately is not just a bad data card. The same data card is used elsewhere with no problems, and other data cards have problems.

This is actually a somewhat common problem. I recall a thread or two here that I saw before I posted this, but the easiest to find thread is here:

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=344

Cheers,

Marc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"90% of my best life's work could have been made with a manual body, a 24mm lens, and a telephoto zoom in the 80-200 range"
- Galen Rowell
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 22-Oct-12 04:17 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 Access Lamp/Green Light of Death"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

If it the GLD then you need your camera serviced. This is known to be be caused by a bad electrical connection.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MarcG19 Registered since 16th Apr 2009Wed 24-Oct-12 10:44 AM
#4. "RE: D90 Access Lamp/Green Light of Death"
In response to Reply # 3

Arlington, US

Yup, I brought it in to Nikon yesterday (one of the advantages of being for the next few weeks in a major Asian city). I'll report how things go.

Cheers,

Marc

- Galen Rowell

MarcG19 Registered since 16th Apr 2009Tue 30-Oct-12 03:24 PM
#5. "RE: D90 Access Lamp/Green Light of Death"
In response to Reply # 4

Arlington, US

Got it back from Nikon service. All they did was clean the SD card slot. The D90 is working fine.

Cheers,

Marc

- Galen Rowell

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 01-Nov-12 03:33 PM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D90 Access Lamp/Green Light of Death"
In response to Reply # 5

Atlanta, US

That's great news - glad it was a simple fix.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251983 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.