Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #246991
View in threaded mode

Subject: "NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version" Previous topic | Next topic
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 23-Jan-11 02:34 AM
34468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
Sun 23-Jan-11 03:22 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

"Kindle for PC" is free -- no Kindle required. You can download it from amazon.com.
It emulates a Kindle running on your PC or Mac.
Features include: Color, notes, highlighting, bookmarking, and very fast searching on top of great legibility.
There is also a Kindle reader for iPad.

Other NikoniansPress book titles also in Kindle version now:

Mastering the Nikon D300/D300S

Mastering the Nikon D700

Mastering the Nikon D3000

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
stevoxt Silver Member Nikonian since 07th May 2010Fri 29-Apr-11 11:59 AM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
In response to Reply # 0

belfast, GB

Hi,

I dont like reading books, I find it hard to concentrate and take it all in but I got this D90 book in kindle and find it much easier to digest.

You can add bookmarks to pages you want to refer to, highlight sections and add notes, change the size of the writing etc.

It's not as portable as a book but for me it works and it's cheaper.

For someone who's not into reading books and has a computer give it a go you'll probably enjoy having it.

ps I even got The Nikon Creative Lighting System in kindle to learn about using speedlites.

All the best.
stevo.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 29-Apr-11 02:42 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

The Rocky Nook Nikon books are also available on the Barnes & Noble Nook readers, both the B&W Nook and the Nook Color.

There is an option to also obtain the PDF version of the ePub.

The Nook Color has been updated to include the ability to run Apps. And there is ez PDF Reader that will put all of your PDFs into an application contained library. So you can not only have the Nikonian books, but also the Nikon manuals available in the field.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

mhiker Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2010Sun 01-May-11 01:00 AM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
In response to Reply # 1

Holiday, US

>Hi,
>
>I dont like reading books, I find it hard to concentrate and
>take it all in but I got this D90 book in kindle and find it
>much easier to digest.
>
>You can add bookmarks to pages you want to refer to, highlight
>sections and add notes, change the size of the writing etc.
>
>It's not as portable as a book but for me it works and it's
>cheaper.
>
>For someone who's not into reading books and has a computer
>give it a go you'll probably enjoy having it.
>
>ps I even got The Nikon Creative Lighting System in kindle
>to learn about using speedlites.
>
>All the best.
>stevo.

Hi Stevo,

I also purchased the Kindle version of Mastering the Nikon D90 and downloaded the free Kindle for PC software which syncs all books purchased and makes them available for reading on my PC or Kindle.
I find Darrell's books very informative and eagerly awaiting the release of Mastering the Nikon D7000.

Regards,

Michael

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Fri 13-May-11 02:51 AM
1408 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Okay, you all knew sooner or later I'd update myself in the reading category...But I just got my kindle for my birthday yesterday so how do I go about loading the d90 mastering the nikon d90? It says it's free and I like that...If anyone has the time to instruct me,,,please feel free....lol

Darlene

stevoxt Silver Member Nikonian since 07th May 2010Fri 13-May-11 03:22 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
In response to Reply # 4

belfast, GB

Hi Darlene,

Having registered with Amazon I actually downloaded Kindle free for my laptop, which has windows vista, after kindle was installed on my laptop I purchased Mastering the D90 from Amazon UK for £9.00 approx.

On Amazon or wherever you are getting it from search for Mastering the D90 kindle version and you'll find it.

Amazon sent it straight to my kindle application on my laptop and bascially that was it you can just go ahead and start reading it, but Mastering the D90 isn't free you have to buy it.

I find it very good and I use it a lot, it's pretty easy to use and well worth the money.

All the best from Belfast

stevo.

mhiker Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2010Fri 13-May-11 03:55 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 13-May-11 04:05 PM by mhiker

Holiday, US

>Okay, you all knew sooner or later I'd update myself in the
>reading category...But I just got my kindle for my birthday
>yesterday so how do I go about loading the d90 mastering the
>nikon d90? It says it's free and I like that...If anyone has
>the time to instruct me,,,please feel free....lol

Hi Darlene,

The Kindle for PC software is free. Once downloaded and installed, you will be able to read your purchases on your PC as well as your Kindle. Download Kindle for PC here
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000426311&tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=8403591349&ref=pd_sl_68gf1oywpl_b

Install Kindle for PC

Turn ON Wi-Fi on your Kindle

Purchase Mastering the Nikon D90

Your purchase will be delivered automatically to your Kindle.

Run Kindle for PC

Click on "Archived Items" upper left side of screen

Mastering the Nikon D90 will then be available on your PC as well.

"Happy Birthday"

Michael

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Fri 13-May-11 05:30 PM
1408 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Now how hard was that? And isn't it scary that one click of a button and your credit card is charged....lol, I did the free sample part and then thought "what the heck", so I went ahead and just ordered it...I'm setting my camera specs to it as we speak...It's kind of cool to sit on my couch, feet propped up, kindle in one hand and camera in the other reading...I just love this DIGITAL and KINDLE world...
Hey thanks Mike,,,happy birthday to me...happy birthday to me. lol

Darlene

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 13-May-11 06:01 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
In response to Reply # 7

Chicago, US

Check out the Rocky Nook site for the D90 Update Page.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

mhiker Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2010Fri 13-May-11 06:52 PM
#9. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
In response to Reply # 7

Holiday, US

>Now how hard was that? And isn't it scary that one click of
>a button and your credit card is charged....lol, I did the
>free sample part and then thought "what the heck",
>so I went ahead and just ordered it...I'm setting my camera
>specs to it as we speak...It's kind of cool to sit on my
>couch, feet propped up, kindle in one hand and camera in the
>other reading...I just love this DIGITAL and KINDLE world...
>Hey thanks Mike,,,happy birthday to me...happy birthday to me.
> lol

Glad to hear you are up and Kindle'n, Darlene. Enjoy your new toy and Darrell's wonderful book.

Michael

mhiker Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2010Fri 13-May-11 06:53 PM
#10. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
In response to Reply # 8

Holiday, US

>Check out the Rocky Nook site for the
>D90 Update Page.

Thanks for the D90 update page, George.

Michael

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Fri 13-May-11 07:49 PM
#11. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Okay, question, can I download the rocky nook update page on the kindle?,,If not, that's crappy, and also, as I'm reading the book, and it is saying figure 2, or figure whatever,,,am I not able to see those illustrations, and if not, that's kinda crappy too. Please tell me I didn't make a mistake and uploaded this book and now I will miss out on the illustrations.....help me out here guys...frantic,,,,

Darlene

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 13-May-11 08:27 PM
#12. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
In response to Reply # 11

Chicago, US

I use the Nook Color, The ePub format used by the Kindle and Nook Color is not updatable, but you should be able to annotate it for a reference to the update and your Kindle should be able to read the PDF format.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

stevoxt Silver Member Nikonian since 07th May 2010Fri 13-May-11 08:27 PM
#13. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
Fri 13-May-11 11:18 PM by stevoxt

belfast, GB

Hi Darlene,

I can only tell you what way it works on my laptop, if I want to see Figure 2 or whatever, I just move my mouse cursor onto Figure 2 and click on it and it goes straight to it. If you see a message saying , No Definition Found, you haven't been on the Figure Number properly with your cursor or whatever way your Kindle machine works, just click again on it, it seems you have to be on the right spot.

To get back to were you were just click the arrow at the top,beside where it says Home and that will bring you back.

Dont panic, just play about with it and you'll pick it up no problem.

All the best

stevo

mhiker Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2010Fri 13-May-11 09:19 PM
#14. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
Fri 13-May-11 09:22 PM by mhiker

Holiday, US

>Okay, question, can I download the rocky nook update page on
>the kindle?,,If not, that's crappy, and also, as I'm reading
>the book, and it is saying figure 2, or figure whatever,,,am I
>not able to see those illustrations, and if not, that's kinda
>crappy too. Please tell me I didn't make a mistake and
>uploaded this book and now I will miss out on the
>illustrations.....help me out here guys...frantic,,,,

Hi Darlene,

Hopefully I can help here. When you wish to view a figure using your Kindle, scroll to that figure 2-1 or whatever using the navigator button. When to cursor is on that figure, click the center dot in the button. To get back to where you were, just press the back button under the navigator.
TIP:
If the figure # you want to view is closer to the top of the page, use the Down arrow to scroll. Use the Up arrow if the figure # is near the page bottom. That will save some scrolling.

As for the Rocky Nook updates, I just saved them in my D90 folder for reference. Copy & paste to the Kindle for PC program does not work.

Hope this helps.

Michael

mhiker Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2010Fri 13-May-11 10:50 PM
#15. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
In response to Reply # 8

Holiday, US

>Check out the Rocky Nook site for the
>D90 Update Page.

The update is 7 pages. I'm curious as to why Mr. Young didn't just update the original, forward to Amazon.Com so we could download the corrected book as opposed to having to add a note then finding the update. Amazon allows downloading previous purchases at no cost. I added a note to that section on my Kindle and Kindle for PC but only a note on where the update is on my PC. We surely can't add 7 pages of info.

Michael

leonardevens Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2011Mon 11-Jul-11 07:12 PM
180 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I don't have a kindle. I do have a NookColor, which I like a lot, but there is no nookbook version of this book. Fortunately, I was able to download the kindle app to my smartphone without owning a kindle and so I have it available while I am out taking pictures.

The smartphone also comes in handy in doctor/dentist's offices while waiting to be seen.

Leonard Evens
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University

mhiker Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2010Tue 12-Jul-11 01:07 AM
#17. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
In response to Reply # 16

Holiday, US

Hi Leonard,

I'm glad to hear you were able to install the Kindle app on your smartphone to read Mastering the Nikon D90 book. I had no idea that app was available. I'm still using the old clam-shell phone with a 1-1/4" screen, my dumb phone Everyone I know has a smartphone but I can't part with my antique.
Enjoy Darrell's wonderful book.

Michael

gmontjr Registered since 27th Nov 2010Mon 01-Aug-11 11:26 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
In response to Reply # 0

Burlington, US

Just ordered and received the kindle version for my android. That'll be handy when I'm on the road.

GeorgeM

George

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 02-Aug-11 01:15 AM
#19. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon D90 - Kindle Version"
In response to Reply # 16
Tue 02-Aug-11 01:20 AM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Amazon does not sell competitive format to its proprietary eBook format. I find going through Mastering the Nikon 90 from O'Reilly Media provides ePub format needed by the Nook Color and also allows one to have a copy in the PDF format. You can download the Adobe Digital Editions and side load the ePub version onto your Nook Color. You also have access to errata. B&N.com also sells Mastering the Nikon D90.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #246991 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.