nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera

lowenste

16 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lowenste Registered since 04th Mar 2007
Sun 04-Mar-07 06:17 PM

I have been photographing for over 15 years and have owned a Nikon now for the past two weeks. Sadly, it is the worst camera I have ever owned. My 3.2 Olympus point shoot takes far far far better pictures! This purchase has been a major major disappointment to me and I had looked forward to it for so long. The camera focus mechanism is very poor, the picture quality is awful, and the colors are terrible unless you do extreme post PC processing. Don't believe all the excellent reviews you read on this camera!!! Don't buy it. I traded my first in after the third day because I thought it was defective. Same problem with the second camera. All images are dark and not in focus, changing exposure, metering (sm,cm), mode (aperature, shutter, auto, manual) etc. Nothing at all makes a difference. I've taken thousands of pictures in the last 2 weeks and have concluded that I don't care how much of a financial loss I incur, the camera is going back to the shop or in the garbage can if they won't take it back.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30153 posts

#1. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sun 04-Mar-07 06:50 PM

Welcome to Nikonians, though I fear you won't be around for much longer if you are able to return your second D80

It's a shame when our expectations are not met by a new camera, but there are sufficient good reports around, here and elsewhere, about the D80 to indicate that it is clearly possible to get good results from it.

Since you are moving up from a more basic "P&S" camera, you may well find that you need to pay more attention to camera settings in order to optimise the results. The D80 is a relatively complex device, and will repay some experimentation and learning. May I suggest something like the Thom Hogan D80 Guide to help you get the best out of it?

If you do stick around, there are a lot of members here who will be able to help you - just ask

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

paullgj

Brownsville, US
153 posts

#2. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 1

paullgj Basic Member
Sun 04-Mar-07 11:09 PM

For a year after I purchased my D70s I was grumbling about image quality. To make a long story short - shooting in RAW and doing white balance corrections changed everything. As others have indicated, Thom Hogan's e-book is a good start.

rp50

Tjome, NO
11 posts

#3. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

rp50 Registered since 30th Aug 2006
Sun 04-Mar-07 06:53 PM

Sitting here and reading your post over and over again, we must live in two separet worlds. Mine D80 work perfect..every time.But I spent some time reading the manual,and took alot of test shot to learn how the camera works.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

HVAC GUY

US
1203 posts

#4. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 3

HVAC GUY Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2006
Sun 04-Mar-07 07:14 PM

If it's any consolation I believe the D70 had a fair number of folks who were disappointed at first as well but with time, just as I did, found it to be a great camera.

Barry

If it isn't a Nikon, it's just another camera

fdwess

US
1147 posts

#5. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

fdwess Basic Member
Sun 04-Mar-07 07:24 PM

Wayne,

I am very sorry to hear this. Like the previous poster I too had to get used to the D70S. I was so used to getting fabulous shots from my two nikon p&s that I was bit dissapointed that the D70S shots didn't look as good out of the camera. But with some practice and reading everything I could find on this camera, slr, DOF, hyperfocal, color spaces, monitor calibration, review after review, and of course here at Nikonians, man there ain't no looking back. I guess there is a chance you got two bad cameras. But I see pics here all the time here shot with the D80 that are wonderful.

Best,

Don

EDIT: When I still pick up the D70S manual, my wife says "you aren't still reading that manual are you? "

just me, myself and a ...
D70S and 18-200VR

"This is like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra

James23p

Memphis, US
10269 posts

#6. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 5

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004
Sun 04-Mar-07 07:39 PM

I am for one in love with my D80, I have done several events with it and have had great results. I have also used mine to take several photos that are on a stock photo website.

First I would post a link so we can see some off your photos so we can see what your problem is. Next what lens are you using etc. We need more info to help.

Last post back so we know you are interested in getting help, I would not say that the reviewers are wrong since I like mine more than most reviews.

Let us know if we can help. Jim

Just a thought you may get some more help if you posted your problems instead of just slamming the camera. Again as stated welcome to nikonians and hope we can help. Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

Click on image to view larger version

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

RidinRev66

Albuquerque, US
120 posts

#7. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

RidinRev66 Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2006
Sun 04-Mar-07 08:06 PM

I too am new to Nikonians and have had a D80 for about 6 weeks. So sorry to hear of your experience. I am, until now, a film shooter. My experience with the D80 is that it is the most complicated Nikon I have owned. It is also capable of more photographic wizardry than any of my other models. I am having fun learning all the possibilities and creating some great photos. My encouragement would go in the same direction as several of the previous posts. Read the manual and keep reading and referring to it. The Thom Hogan CD is well worth the $30 price. It goes into a lot more detail and practical advice than the Nikon manual. If you decide to stick with it, I wouldn't be surprised if you found the D80 to be a creative tool with a lot of possibilities for self-expression. Best of luck!

Phil
FM2N, FE2, FA, F3, F100, D80, D200

James23p

Memphis, US
10269 posts

#8. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 7

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004
Sun 04-Mar-07 09:35 PM

Nice post RidinRev66! Plus I wanted to welcome you to Nikonians and congratulations on having fun learning the D80. Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

RidinRev66

Albuquerque, US
120 posts

#9. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 8

RidinRev66 Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2006
Mon 05-Mar-07 08:46 PM

Thanks for the welcome! I really like your tag about using film. I had a hard time deciding to go digital, and I still love the "feel" of my F3, FM2N, FE2, and FA. I too will use film as long as it exists. But, I am fearful that for a lot of reasons, I am going to be spending more and more time with my D80. It really does offer some fantastic features.

Phil
FM2N, FE2, FA, F3, F100, D80, D200

dclarhorn

Berwyn Heights, US
14497 posts

#10. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002
Sun 04-Mar-07 09:44 PM

I'm sorry for your frustration. But, before posting and "warning" others, perhaps you haven't seen some of the stunning results many, many, MANY people are getting. It's okay to admit you need some knowledge and practice to improve your results. That's how you learn and grow as a photographer.

There is a digital "process" to become aquainted with--one that involves extra work if you move up to a DSLR. If you expect it to work like a point-and-shoot, you will be disappointed.

So many people expect technology to take over their responsibility for getting a shot. They forget that in the "old" days, the professional cameras were manual, labor intensive tools to create an image, while the rest used instamatics and the like. I for one am glad I still make a difference, despite all the wonderful things cameras can do these days.

If nothing else, you haven't mentioned selling it. No need to throw it in the garbage unless you were just saying that for effect.

Dan L.
http://larussoweb.com

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

redrider

Sanford, US
288 posts

#11. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

redrider Basic Member
Sun 04-Mar-07 10:02 PM

I'm sorry for you bad experiences, but I assure you that the D80 is an excellent camera. Maybe you had a bad experience, but I don't want to discourage another D80 purchaser. This guy is wrong.

D80, D100 18-200 VR 50mm1 1/8

klrbee25

Naples, US
1384 posts

#12. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 11

klrbee25 Registered since 03rd Jun 2006
Sun 04-Mar-07 10:42 PM

The D80 is a great camera but it is surely demanding of its photographer. Having moved up to the D80 from the D50, I was surprised that the initial out-of-camera results from the D80 looked far less remarkable than those from the D50. However, if one shoots RAW and is fairly proficient with Camera Raw, the D80 has unbelievable potential. I now own both the D50 and D80 and view them as follows:

The D50 is my quick shooter. If I want guaranteed gorgeous out of camera pics with minimal work and don't mind compromising megapixels and the bells and whistles of the D80, the D50 is my machine.

The D80 is my 'historian'. If I'm in a place or situation that has to be recorded to remember for the rest of my life, the D80 gets pulled out. While I know I'll have some work to do in PP, I know that all the image info is there...even if the highlights are slightly blown which can be restored in Camera Raw. The D80 and Camera Raw are definitely a formidable tool.

So, for me:
quick, easy and pretty pics = D50
full potential of a scene = D80

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

Floridian

Tallahassee, Florida, US
2830 posts

#13. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 12

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007
Mon 05-Mar-07 07:43 PM

>The D80 is a great camera but it is surely demanding of its
>photographer. Having moved up to the D80 from the D50, I
>was surprised that the initial out-of-camera results from
>the D80 looked far less remarkable than those from the D50.
>However, if one shoots RAW and is fairly proficient with
>Camera Raw, the D80 has unbelievable potential. I now own
>both the D50 and D80 and view them as follows:
>
>The D50 is my quick shooter. If I want guaranteed gorgeous
>out of camera pics with minimal work and don't mind
>compromising megapixels and the bells and whistles of the
>D80, the D50 is my machine.

I'd like to get a follow-up on this from anyone who'd care to comment. Why should a D80 not get just as good photos "with minimial work" as a D50? I own a D50, but not a D80, so I don't have any experience comparing the two, but it seems like the set-up, options (e.g., Auto, etc.), are pretty much the same on the two cameras. I don't understand why you couldn't use a D80 just like you'd use a D50, and get the same results. I'd love to hear some feedback on this because, like many D50 owners I'm sure, I consider the D80 a good next step up, but I've assumed I could get a D80, use it just like I use my D50, and get results as good or better right out of the camera. Why wouldn't this be true? (By the way, I love my D50, so if there really is this difference, one bit of advice here might be to get a D50 rather than a D80.)

Randy

cecat90

Folsom, US
364 posts

#14. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 11

cecat90 Registered since 11th Aug 2006
Tue 06-Mar-07 12:41 AM

>I'm sorry for you bad experiences, but I assure you that the
>D80 is an excellent camera. Maybe you had a bad experience,
>but I don't want to discourage another D80 purchaser. This
>guy is wrong.

yep very very wrong, well he used to a $3o camera to the D80, and doesnt use it properly

hornagain

US
32 posts

#15. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

hornagain Basic Member
Sun 04-Mar-07 11:00 PM

All I know is that a used Olympus 3.2 in perfect condition sells for about $30, and based on the OP, it must be the best photographic bargain in the history of the world.

Ardothing

US
201 posts

#16. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

Ardothing Registered since 19th Jan 2007
Sun 04-Mar-07 11:24 PM

If you want to sell your D80 for a resonable price, I'll take it off your hands. I've had mine for about 3 mths and am still learning with the help of Thom's ebook and this site. My real wish is that you would take on the challenge of learning to shoot with your D80. Your reward will more than equal the challenge.

DerDrache

Gahanna, US
21 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#17. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

DerDrache Registered since 20th Feb 2007
Sun 04-Mar-07 11:56 PM

Wow, I really don't know what to say. I suppose I'd just say that this page proves that in the hands of a capable photographer, the D80 is a powerful tool. I think this might be a case of GIGO. I'm new to DSLRs (I've been shooting 35mm for 12 years) and knew that just like the first time I picked up a 35mm SLR I'd have my work cut out for me and there would be a learning curve. While I still have plenty to learn, I've very pleased with my results so far and only expect to get better.

As others have said, I'd love to see some photos in question here as I'm certain the Nikonian community could probably help isolate what the problem is.

James23p

Memphis, US
10269 posts

#18. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 17

Wed 16-Jan-08 01:12 PM

I'm not a great photographer heck I am not even good but here is what the D80 is capable after I got the hang of it.

Both are from my D80 with minimal photoshop mostly sharpening and cropping. As someone said I have a D50 the D50 is great right out of the camera but the D80 when used and understood is awesome, last as the megapixels go up so does the need for good hand holding technique. The higher MP cameras are more sensative to mistakes much like slide film was to print film. give it a try and see how it goes.

Jim

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

lowenste

16 posts

#19. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

Mon 05-Mar-07 01:05 AM

I would like to thank all who have responded and also apologize for my tone and in downing the camera so harshly. It is all coming out of my total frustration and the feeling like after all my research on choosing what I thought was the best camera, self blame for seemingly making a poor choice anyway. I was going to post some pictures here of unaltered shots I took of my daughter doing her science fair project today with both my Olympus C740 and the D80 but I didn't realize I had to buy a membership to do so.

lowenste

16 posts

#20. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 19

Mon 05-Mar-07 01:19 AM

Ok - I created an account on Flicker. Here's the page - http://www.flickr.com/photos/7202061@N07/

DerDrache

Gahanna, US
21 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#21. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 20

Mon 05-Mar-07 02:30 AM

Having looked at your shots on Flickr I can definitely see why you're dissatisfied. I see you're shooting with the kit 18-135mm from the EXIF data. The images from the D80 look almost a full f-stop underexposed. The previous suggestions regarding tone, saturation and color mode settings are good but I'd also look into setting an exposure bias of +0.7 or maybe even +1.0. You might want to do a full camera reset from the tools menu before experimenting just in case there is something awry.

Here's a shot I took of myself in similar lighting conditions with a fixed focal length(50mm) lens at f/4 with with a flash but with an exposure bias.

I'm wondering if you're yet another victim of the Matrix Metering surprise that the D80 has. Now that I'm aware of it, it doesn't bother me but at first I was getting some unexpected results.

Try switching to center-weighted or spot metering for sake of experimentation.

out_of_focus

US
1 posts

#22. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 19

out_of_focus Registered since 17th Sep 2006
Mon 05-Mar-07 01:20 AM

In my limited experience with the D80, I realized it has really "laid back" processing. Of course comparing a P&S jpeg to that from a D80 isnt really fair. The D80 Jpegs requires more customization in PP to get better final results. If you want a DSLR with great "out of camera" Jpegs, then perhaps look into the D50 or D40.
After a few tweeks in PS2 I find the D80 produce excellent images. Maybe you should have started with a more "intermediate" DSLR while moving up from a P&S???

spiritualized67

Western PA, US
3213 posts

#23. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 22

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007
Mon 05-Mar-07 01:31 AM

Actually, I would define the D80 as a bad #ss camera.

www.danielstainer.com

klrbee25

Naples, US
1384 posts

#24. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 23

Mon 05-Mar-07 01:44 AM

Hey Lowenste,

By now you've read enough replies to know that post-processing is required on the D80 to really make the pictures "shine". However, I've had a look at your shots on Flickr and I think there is another issue at play here as well. The flash output with your Olympus appears much greater than what you're getting with the D80. Are you using the onboard D80 flash? I would try dialing up the flash output compensation a bit to get a result closer to the Olympus pics. That said, the D80's weakest point (if we want to point fingers) is probably the onboard flash. While I love it for wireless flash control, I wouldn't be caught dead using the D80 for flash photography without my SB-800 close at hand. You'll see a world of difference if you add any of the Nikon Speedlights to your D80.

Maybe try some outdoor ambient light shots to compare the Olympus and D80. Also if you're not shooting RAW with the D80, I have some suggestions to improve the JPEG quality. If shooting JPEG try these two suggestions:
1. Always use Large Fine (although Large Normal probably shows very little difference as I once saw in a head-to-head comparison)
2. Use the Custom settings under Optimize Image. The following settings have given me the best results for JPEGs. Sharpening +2, Tone Comp +1, Color space IIIa (more saturated colors), and Saturation +. These settings role out JPEGs that are much more like the D50 (I use the same settings on the D50 except for auto sharpening and contrast).
3. To make these changes work, you must shoot in M, A, S, or P mode.

I think you'll find the results to be improved if shooting JPEG with these settings. And as I said earlier, get yourself a sweet Speedlight and you'll be much much happier with the D80's flash results.

***I just had a look at the EXIF data from your D80 shots. It looks like you're using the AUTO mode, color mode Ia, and auto "everything else". Definitely give the settings I've listed above a shot and see if you like the changes. I'd also recommend shooting in Aperture Priority (A) mode the majority of the time. If you're shooting RAW, please note that all these adjustments (sharpness, color space, tone comp, etc) DO NOT affect the RAW images. Also, the auto modes of Auto and the rest of the DigiVari modes will use their own settings and ignore your custom values. You must use P, A, S, or M for the custom values to take effect. However, Nikon Capture will apply these custom settings to your RAW files if you edit them using that program.

-Alex Rosen

James23p

Memphis, US
10269 posts

#25. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 24

First I want to commend you for coming back and trying to answer all the question. I am sure we can help you alot, at least I will try.

One of the things that surprised me was the aperture of the olympus was f2.8(these are fractions so the lower number means larger opening letting in more light) this allows alot more light in than the D80 at 4.2 and both at ISO 200.(ISO is the sensativity of the sensor to light the lower the number the less sensative the higher the more sensative but this also degrades some picture quality)

That alone can make the difference in exposure and brightness, but there is more the olympus used a shutter speed of 1/50 this allows more light than the D80 at the setting it choose at 1/60( 1/60 is faster allowing less time for the light to hit the sensor than 1/50 add this to a larger opening the Olympus will be brighter. What all this means is that the Olympus is setting up to make the shot brighter and the D80 lets the user make more of the choice.

You could have slowed the shutter speed down a tad or up'd the ISO, now a 2.8 lens for a DSLR is exspensive even Sigma's pro line 2.8 lens run around 400 bucs, but the D80 has good high ISO quality I would have bumped up the ISO 360 and bingo the pics would have been close.

Color on the D80 uses the 1a as a default not as vibrant as most point and shoot camera and even the D40 and D50 use the IIIa, if you want more pop you can set the color mode to IIIa or bump up the saturation. You also had the contrast soft on the D80 that would make things a tad less crisp and everything else was auto. The D80 is very good but unlike the P&S that have aggresive in camera processing the D80 does not, it relies on the user to set more. This at first seems like a pain but once you get to understand the post processing phase you can customize you shots to look like Kodachrome, Velvia more or less vibrant and you are not tied to the cameras agressive look.

Please I have rambled on sorry if you have any questions we are here to help I promise if you are struggling and serious we will all help, to the point you may have trouble reading all this.

Last your daughter is precious and even the D80 shots are not to bad.
I hope you don't mind but I downloaded one and did some post processing on it.

Both these were a quick Picture Project change I just up'd the brightness on both, one by autolevels and one I tweeked a bit. The file was so small I lost some quality but not to bad. Sorry I did not correct the color but the file is to small so I just wanted to show the exposure. Jim

Sorry about all the beginners talk some how I missed in your original post the 15 years again man I am sorry I want to help not offend.

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

sahunt

UK
74 posts

#26. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 24

sahunt Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Mon 05-Mar-07 11:42 AM

>To make these changes work, you must shoot in M, A, S, or
>P mode.

It does seem a little curious that Nikon chose such conservative
(and fixed) image parameters for the fully Auto mode. Given that
it is likely to be the first choice of many new users, providing
cheery, vivid pictures in that mode would seem like a better
"out of the box" experience for many people.

-- Steve

cafields

US
128 posts

#27. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

cafields Registered since 26th Sep 2006
Mon 05-Mar-07 02:59 AM

I'd like to add one thing to this thread in the interest of helping, lowenste.

I've known some folks who have been frustrated with the output of the D50 and D80 vs P&S cameras' "out of the box" pictures, and they found the answer that works for them:

1. Set the camera defaults as described by those who posted above.

2. Buy a copy of Paint Shop Pro XI, Adobe Photoshop Elements (4 or 5) or download (free) the latest version of Google's Picasa, or another good photo processing software program. Load your .jpg file into the program and use the "Auto Enhance" or "One Step Photo Fix" function within the software and let the program process your .jpg. (The name of the function depends on the software you're using). I think you'll find the results generally very satisfying as most often this will make the photo "come alive". Some people are happy when they let the software process the file and then they perform a crop and print. Later, as they gain more experience, they might want to perform the processing themselves seeking to "tweek" the image to their taste. Or they use the auto processing as a starting point and continue to process manually, but the point is that I believe that this would be of great benefit to you. I looked at your flickr page and I really think that all the photos (D80 and c740) could use this sort of automatic processing to help them look more natural and therefore better. I'm not being critical, as all of our photos need post-processing, whether we do it using the auto functions in a simple program or whether we process step by step in a more sophisticated software package.

Also, I'd encourage you to keep reading this forum as you'll learn a lot about the D80 and you'll soon be using the histogram, exposure compensation, highlights view, etc., all to your advantage.

I sincerely believe that if you apply the correct focus and exposure and you try processing both your D80 and c740 photos as described above for a start, you'll find that the D80 produces the superior output between the two. As stated above, I know several people who will highly agree as they started with the same complaints.

C. A. Fields

http://www.cafields.com

C. A. Fields

chimphappyhour

Liberty, US
652 posts

#28. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

chimphappyhour Registered since 23rd Mar 2006
Mon 05-Mar-07 03:02 AM

This isn't a problem in your images in your flickr page, but it might be in some of your other images. You just jumped from 3.2mp to 10.2mp, that's about a tripling, although I'm unsure the density difference in the sensors. I remember reading a lot of people complain about IQ when they traded up from their 6mp dslrs to D200's when they came out. A lot of people found the quality lacking. Then, it was figured out that because of the increase in photosites, technique had to be that much better too.

As someone else stated, try doing some comparison shots with the two cameras where a flash won't be needed. You might also want to set both cameras up on a tripod and use the selftimer on each. This should isolate everything down to just the cameras and you can play around and see what happens.

meohman1

Luling, US
506 posts

#29. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

meohman1 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007
Mon 05-Mar-07 03:42 AM

>I have been photographing for over 15 years and have owned a
>Nikon now for the past two weeks. Sadly, it is the worst
>camera I have ever owned. My 3.2 Olympus point shoot takes
>far far far better pictures! This purchase has been a major
>major disappointment to me and I had looked forward to it
>for so long. The camera focus mechanism is very poor, the
>picture quality is awful, and the colors are terrible unless
>you do extreme post PC processing. Don't believe all the
>excellent reviews you read on this camera!!! Don't buy it.
>I traded my first in after the third day because I thought
>it was defective. Same problem with the second camera. All
>images are dark and not in focus, changing exposure,
>metering (sm,cm), mode (aperature, shutter, auto, manual)
>etc. Nothing at all makes a difference. I've taken
>thousands of pictures in the last 2 weeks and have concluded
>that I don't care how much of a financial loss I incur, the
>camera is going back to the shop or in the garbage can if
>they won't take it back.

WOW - pretty harsh.

I've had my D80 since November '06. I shot film years ago and then got away from photography. I came back to P & S cameras, slowly graduated up the scale, until I went to Gatlinburg last October - then I realized I just could not do want I wanted with even a very good P & S. I researched and went to the D80.

I read and read and studied and read and studied. I absolutley love my D80.

Here's some shots from the French Quarter of New Orleans on Mardi Gras day - the color is right out of the camera. You have to tweak and learn - here's the link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/meohman1/FatTuesdayWARNINGAdultMaterialNikonD80

Best viewed by using the slide show option.

There are 285 pics here I took with the D80, the on-board flash, and the 18-200mm VR lens. It was overcast, and I shot JPEG Large Fine, with Saturation at +1 and contrast at -1. I post-processed with Picasa and added sharpness and saturation to some pics.

At work, I do incident investigations. I use an Olympus P & S.

If your Olympus P & S can do what you see in my pics, then you have a viable argument. My work Olympus P & S can't come close to what I got in the French Quarter.

Mike

Mike

Photography by Mike - My Nikonians Gallery

Rooz

AU
13 posts

#30. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

Rooz Registered since 21st Dec 2006
Mon 05-Mar-07 08:34 AM

its a shame decent cameras can't exchange indecent users.

yourang1

AU
383 posts

#31. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

yourang1 Registered since 03rd Feb 2007
Mon 05-Mar-07 09:33 AM

This reminds me a little of that movie 'A Bridge Too Far'. You say that you have been photographing for 15 years and if it was all with point and shoots then it's no wonder you're having trouble with a great camera like the D80. My last 35 mm before the D80 was an Olympus OM1n which, like cameras of that day, were manual and you actually had to learn a few basics of photography to get any sort of decent shot. How spoilt we are today, but then we step up to a D80 and can't believe that we actually have to think! Yes Olympus do make a good camera and if the new ones are anything like the old, then their probably a bloody good camera. But from what I'm seeing now is that people learn nothing from the auto mode that everyone is growing up with today .
In the short time I've owned the D80 I've learnt more than before I bought it simply because there is no limit or cost involved in how many shots you can take and experiment with in the adjustment of this camera. There was a bit of a learning curve and I'm certainly glad of the time I had to do things manually but it was well worth it.
As others here have said, experiment, read, and ask questions on this forum and you will grow into it.

illegitimis non carborundum.

al2

73 posts

#32. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 31

al2 Registered since 29th Jan 2007
Mon 05-Mar-07 12:22 PM

Firstly, looking at both samples (from Olympus and Nikon), I have to say both of them were not right.

What I suspect is, you've been so used to the wrong colour tone of Olympus (it might be the white balance, or the camera itself, I don't know), and combined with the underexposure and the slight colour flatness from your D80, you suddenly see "very bad" results from the DSLR.

Try different settings and see how it goes. Looks like you like more punch in your pictures right out of camera. Try "More vivid" under image setting, and maybe you can bump sharpening if you don't wanna do PP.

I can guarantee you this camera can produce stunning image unprocessed at all, given you know how to use your camera (and maybe with a proper lens for the occassion).

That portrait of your daughter, had it taken with a humble 50mm 1.8, it would turn up beautiful. I personally don't think 18-135mm is an indoor lens at all, more like all-purpose, day to day lens.

Why don't you bring your D80 back to the shop and ask the shop to let you take some pictures with some of their other lenses and see how you like it.

ripvanwinkle

UK
125 posts

#33. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 31

ripvanwinkle Registered since 16th Feb 2007
Mon 05-Mar-07 12:25 PM

I AM TRULY SUPRISED ANYONE RESPONDED TO THIS POSTER!.

It would have been nice if he had opened with some pertinent questions instead of just slating what we all know to be a fine camera.

Still, at least he knows how to get responses to his posts.

James23p

Memphis, US
10269 posts

#34. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 33

Mon 05-Mar-07 12:37 PM

Okay lets just slow down, first he did apologies for the rough start in a later post. Just severe frustration had set in, I like everyone else get so frustrated at these type of posts but I think in the end he wants to get better.

Second could this have been done better sure but we all trip over mouths sometimes(in this case a keyboard). Since he went to the trouble to create a ficker account to post I am fairly sure he wants to get better.

Last like another poster said I learned exposure and stuff on a EM and FE and I use my FM3a all the time with slide film, that said not everyone has had the luck of learning on an all manual camera etc so lets be helpful.

I know we have all had our fill of bashing and flaming etc but lets take each case one at a time, again the fact he reposted and tried to show what he had is a plus, just used a poor set of words for his first post. Thanks guys I know the D80 forum has been adrift with negative stuff sometimes but even the D2X and H and the D200 went thru this so hang in there team. Kind regards and many thanks. JIm

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

lowenste

16 posts

#35. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 34

Mon 05-Mar-07 01:23 PM

I just wanted to state that the responses I have gotten have overwhelmed me in regard to how people who are on this forum are caring and are willing to help. I do again apologize for my rough start it was totally out of my own frustration and I certainly did not mean to offend anyone who loves the Nikon brand of the D80 Camera. You (collectively) have convinced me to keep the camera and keep trying and I thank you all for that. I will change my tone from here on to the positive only and over the next few weeks or so post some pictures and ask some more questions with what I am having trouble with. Again thanks and I think the people in this group are terrific! I am so glad all of you responded to my original post with great help and suggestions rather than being mean to me.

James23p

Memphis, US
10269 posts

#36. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 35

Mon 05-Mar-07 01:41 PM

Loweneste did you see the rework of the pics? Glad we could help. JIm

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

dwayner

Calgary, CA
262 posts

#37. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 35

dwayner Registered since 15th Jan 2005
Mon 05-Mar-07 01:52 PM

IT really depends on what you want. If you like the simplicity of your olympus then I would stick with one. If you really want to get into digital photography and willing to put time into learning the camera then you have a very good camera. Personaly when I moved from film to digital it took a year of hit and miss before I could consitantly take good pictures.

You have to be honest with yourself and if you dont really have the time or desire maybe taking the camera back isnt so bad. The group here is the best around if you need them.

DerDrache

Gahanna, US
21 posts

#38. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 33

Mon 05-Mar-07 12:47 PM

I'm still pretty new to Nikonians and to be honest I was somewhat amazed at how sensible and collected of responses he received. In other forums I frequent I wouldn't have been surprised to see him get blasted with a bunch of 'OMGZ U H8 OUR PRODUCT, DIE IN A FIRE!!!!!' posts. Granted, that is also one reason why I don't frequent those forums any more.

It does seem a little curious that Nikon chose such conservative
(and fixed) image parameters for the fully Auto mode. Given that
it is likely to be the first choice of many new users, providing
cheery, vivid pictures in that mode would seem like a better
"out of the box" experience for many people.

-- Steve
I would agree with this statement on the D40 or D50 but I think your average D80 user is going to be more likely a member of the 'prosumer' skill level. It's price point and features really attract them more I'd think.

sahunt

UK
74 posts

#39. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 38

sahunt Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Tue 06-Mar-07 11:37 AM

>I would agree with this statement on the D40 or D50 but I
>think your average D80 user is going to be more likely a
>member of the 'prosumer' skill level. It's price point and
>features really attract them more I'd think.

Fair enough, but even the keenest photographer may have
relatives who want to use the camera in "point and hope"
mode. Giving "green auto" mode a punchier result out
of the box would seem reasonable for that reason.
(Especially as your average D80 purchaser probably won't
use that mode themselves anyway).

-- Steve

Delta5

Eynsford, UK
264 posts

#40. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 33

Delta5 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2006
Mon 05-Mar-07 12:47 PM

Because most Nikonians are big enough and mature enough not to take a post like this as a personal attack on their beloved brand. Instead of making derogatory comments, they try to help.

Dv
"Live like you're going to die tomorrow, learn like you're going to live forever." - Gandhi

Dave
Blue Delta Photography

Dave C

Dunfermline, UK
2004 posts

#41. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

Dave C Registered since 10th Mar 2002

Hi,

Nikon deliberately set the exposure to not overexpose the shot. This is because while you can lighten an underexposed shot an overexposed shot cannot be rescued. This is commonly known as blown highlights.
This setting upsets a lot of new-comers that are not expecting it but the camera settings can be adjusted to your tastes.
In the shot you supplied the camera has exposed so that the ball is not over-exposed but the shot can be fixed with a simple autolevels/auto-contrast using your software. I have attached a sample of what I could do with just one press of the button.

Please persevere. Once you get things set up the way you like you will be amazed at how much better than a compact it can actually be.

Always look on the bright side of life de dum de dum........... :) :) :)
Dave C
Scottish Nikonian
My Gallery

lowenste

16 posts

#42. "RE: Time to change the title to 'Keeping my Camera!'" | In response to Reply # 41

Mon 05-Mar-07 02:24 PM

Yes Jim, I did see the reworked pictures from you and others. They look very good and thank you for your comment about my daughter. She does make a good subject; her sister too! I also downloaded 'picasa2'. Very nice program. Which has the beter fix / correction processing in your opinion: Nikon Capture NX, PictureProject, Picasa, PhotoShop?

billD80

US
2198 posts

#43. "RE: Time to change the title to 'Keeping my Camera!'" | In response to Reply # 42

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007

I too came from 25+ years in the Olympus family to a D80. My OM4T had one of the most accurate meters ever put in a 35mm camera... I loved it.

My D80, on Matrix Metering, consistently makes better exposures with less effort, and I can take JPEGs right from the camera and get fantastic, large prints from a local lab. THIS IS WITH NO POST PROCESSING, USING NO EXPOSURE COMPENSATION, JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING SET ON FACTORY DEFAULT.

While I agree that some shots can benefit from post processing, I bought a fine camera, to take fine shots, not to have to learn Photoshop. The D80 serves this purpose beautifully.

I wonder if in getting set up, somehow some of the factory defaults have been changed... The in-camera flash shots of your daughter are not nearly what I commonly get under what appear to be very similar circumstances.

Would you be able to take your D80 into a shop and have someone shoot some stuff in the store?

My point is, yes, sometimes significant post-processing is a great thing. But from experience, and in several reviews, here and abroad, the D80 is known for putting out print-ready JPEGs.

Don't give up.

Attachment #3, (jpg file)

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Dave C

Dunfermline, UK
2004 posts

#44. "RE: Time to change the title to 'Keeping my Camera!'" | In response to Reply # 42

Mon 05-Mar-07 03:36 PM

Hi,

NX and Photoshop fall into the "what you prefer" category. Download trials to see which you prefer.
Picture Project and Picassa can do a job and are free. You should have got Picture Project bundled with you camera I think.
You get what you pay for

Dave C
Scottish Nikonian
My Gallery

DerDrache

Gahanna, US
21 posts

#45. "RE: Time to change the title to 'Keeping my Camera!'" | In response to Reply # 42

Mon 05-Mar-07 03:50 PM

For the cost, few apps can beat Picasa. If all you're doing is looking to make some level changes and tweak the contrast and saturation a bit, it will do 90% of what you need quickly and easily. I haven't even unpackaged the CD that came with my D80 to take a look at what's on there.

ETA: I do a lot of quick and dirty in Picasa but if something needs a finer touch I'll pull out Photoshop. That's one thing I like about Picasa is the Right click -> Open in Photoshop option from any image you're working on.

tundracamper

US
509 posts

#46. "RE: Time to change the title to 'Keeping my Camera!'" | In response to Reply # 42

tundracamper Registered since 22nd Nov 2006
Mon 05-Mar-07 05:36 PM

I got my D80 back in November. Although I obviously was not as disappointed as you, I was somewhat disappointed with my first set of pictures. After learning about white balance, increasing ISO, metering, and other settings on this site, I am taking much better photos. The photos are now much better than I was getting from my P&S. It took me a bit, but I'm better. I'm still not where I want to be, as my goal is to take great photos without having to do to much post-processing. I have found that taking lots of photos and trying out the different settings makes a big difference. For example, it took me while to realize that I should increase the ISO to get sharper pictures of people moving. Duh! That stuff is not obvious when moving from a P&S.

I'm glad you decided to give it another try.

Joves

Flagstaff, US
506 posts

#47. "RE: Time to change the title to 'Keeping my Camera!'" | In response to Reply # 42

Joves Registered since 28th Jan 2006
Mon 05-Mar-07 08:44 PM

>Yes Jim, I did see the reworked pictures from you and
>others. They look very good and thank you for your comment
>about my daughter. She does make a good subject; her sister
>too! I also downloaded 'picasa2'. Very nice program.
>Which has the beter fix / correction processing in your
>opinion: Nikon Capture NX, PictureProject, Picasa,
>PhotoShop?
Ilove PS or, CS3 myself. CS3 has a great new RAW processor, much improved over the last version. Granted Im only using the Beta. I have been using PS for years so, Im used to it. Not sure on your experience with it. So I will leave it up to you. If you havent used PS before then there is a large learning curve and, many hours of cussing in the beginning. I know that is how it was for me.
BTW. I too just upgraded from a D50 to the D80 and, find myself learning all the new functions. I tell everyone who first gets the cameras to scrap using the Auto modes. I use either Apature Priority or, manual only. Im still getting used to the sub command dial myself.

I shoot therefore, Iam.
http://joves.smugmug.com

gbod

US
101 posts

#48. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

gbod Registered since 23rd Jan 2007
Mon 05-Mar-07 03:52 PM

I too was disappointed with the "full auto" (green camera) mode when I pulled my D80 out of the box. (Especially when compared to the bright, punchy, saturated, highly processed images from my 3 MP Kodak point and shoot.) Nikon for some reason has set the image quality to "dull and lifeless" on the full auto mode and it can't be changed. I also found that when using on-board flash it has a tendency to under-expose when in "full auto" mode. Nikon decided on a very conservative approach to image processing in this mode.

I found and set to my camera's "optimize image" setting to "vivid", and got the sharp, colorful images I was expecting when using the P,S,A and M modes. It's too bad you can't change this in the "full auto" (green camera)mode.

Get out of the "full auto" (green camera) mode (use P to start), tweak your "optimize image" settings, and you will be much happier. Try "vivid", "more vivid", or the "custom" and play around with different saturation, sharpening, color mode and tone curves to your liking. Just remember to pop up your flash when you need it. Also, if you are just starting out, you might find it easier if you set your Auto ISO to "ON" in your custom setting menu #7. As you get more experience you may prefer to have it off.

I prefer to spend more time taking pictures and less time post processing, so I have tweaked my settings now to the point that I do very little post processing.

Enjoy your new camera!

-Greg

cafields

US
128 posts

#49. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

Mon 05-Mar-07 04:30 PM

This week, Staples has Adobe Photoshop Elements 5 for $59.99, or $39.99 using an Adobe $20 "upgrade rebate". The rebate form states that Google Picasa applies as a valid software for "competitive upgrade".

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?prodCatType=1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=154920&cmArea=SEARCH

Rebate form:

http://www.staples.com/sbd/img/rebates/adobepse5.pdf

CompUSA this week has PaintShop Pro XI for $49.99 after rebate:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=srch1&Ntt=paint+shop+pro&N=0&Dx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&D=paint+shop+pro&Ntk=All&product_code=341511

Personally, between the two, I'd get Photoshop elements (even if there weren't an upgrade rebate). Both products are good and do much of the same basic things, but there's probably more user support help available in various forums for elements, and also you'd be getting a familiarity with the Adobe Photoshop interface which would be good if you ever upgraded to Photoshop CS2 or CS3. Also, if the upgrade rebate using Picasa is applied, it's $10 cheaper than PSPro!

C. A. Fields

C. A. Fields

DerDrache

Gahanna, US
21 posts

#50. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 49

Mon 05-Mar-07 06:38 PM

Thanks for the info cafields! Does Photoshop Elements have the same capabilities as CS2 as far as RAW files are concerned?

cafields

US
128 posts

#51. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 50

Mon 05-Mar-07 07:19 PM

>Thanks for the info cafields! Does Photoshop Elements have
>the same capabilities as CS2 as far as RAW files are
>concerned?

You're welcome!

I'm not sure about all the capabilities of PSE 5, but I do know they support RAW files, but I'm not sure how it would be in comparison to CS2. One thing of interest to anyone out there using PSE 4 and considering the upgrade would be the increased 16-bit file support which was very limited in PSE 4.

Here's the link to the Adobe PSE 5 site which contains lots of product info and a link for a trial version download:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/overview2.html

C. A. Fields

C. A. Fields

HVAC GUY

US
1203 posts

#52. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 51

HVAC GUY Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2006
Mon 05-Mar-07 08:31 PM

By the way Wayne should you decide to go with Photoshop Elements 5.0 I can recommmend what I consider an excellent book as a companion to the software, Photoshop Elements 5 The Missing manual, written by Barbara Brundage. It is very well written,contains lots of color photos, a very useful tome.

Barry

If it isn't a Nikon, it's just another camera

al2

73 posts

#53. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 52

al2 Registered since 29th Jan 2007
Mon 05-Mar-07 10:31 PM

Since you like to shoot your daughters' pictures, I still think it's really wise to spend $100 for 50mm f/1.8.
You'll love that humble lens much more than our 18-135mm indoors.

It's only 100 bucks, and if for some whatever unlikely reason, you don't like it, you can sell it for almost no loss of money at all.

Mike_in_Fremont_Ca

US
47 posts

#54. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

Mike_in_Fremont_Ca Registered since 20th Jan 2007
Mon 05-Mar-07 10:49 PM

My advise is to buy an sb400 flash for $120, and point the light up so it bounces off the cieling. You will be much happier with the d80 on full auto after that. My wife lamented "That should be built in for this price". But the d80 is actually a great slr camera deal IMO.

You will see what I mean if you but the sb400, it's simple, cheap and has a good recycle time. Remembe to point it up and best of luck to you.

lowenste

16 posts

#55. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 54

Tue 06-Mar-07 04:23 PM

Thank you all for the advise on the software and the camera. I downloaded Picasa2 and Capture NX so far. Picassa2 is very nice for auto locating and refreshing thumbnails and your pictures. The Capture NX auto light levels seems to do a great job plus you can do it in batch mode. In addition the control point processing is incredible in regard to being able to isolate and lighten or darken specific areas of a photo along with saturation & contrast. I haven't tried photoshop elements yet but the interface from what I've seen looks like its much nicer than Capture NX, but its really the photo processing job that it does that counts.

'Al2' - I think I will take your advise about the 50mm lens for indoors shooting since that is what I am having most trouble with. Does shooting at a higher ISO really make sharper pictures? I thought that can cause graininess. I have been using 100 outdoors and 400 inside with the SB600.

Update on the camera issue: I spoke with the manager of the camera store and she wants to send the camera back to Nikon for testing so that we can be certain that there is really nothing wrong with it, and that the issue is just a learning curve for me. I like the idea and so I returned it yesterday for shipping back to Nikon. Hopefully it won't take too long to get back. I'll let you know the results when I have it back. I also have decided to take a course in digital photography as continuing adult education when I get the camera back. It should help me. Thanks again all.

cafields

US
128 posts

#56. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 55

Tue 06-Mar-07 04:29 PM

Bravo!

C. A. Fields

C. A. Fields

klrbee25

Naples, US
1384 posts

#57. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 56

Tue 06-Mar-07 04:38 PM

Lowenste,

Just to clarify on a statment you made. Shooting at high ISO does NOT make an image sharper unless the image blur is due to a slow shutter speed. If you have an adequate shutter speed (= or faster than 1/50s for the 50mm lens on a full frame sensor or about 1/75s for the Nikon DSLR) then raising the ISO will make your images grainy, less sharp, and alter color rendition.

The 50mm f/1.8 will allow you to use lower ISOs while still maintaining an adequate shutter speed. Thus, you'll avoid image blur due to subject and camera motion while minimizing your ISO value to ensure clean, noise-free images.

-Alex Rosen

lowenste

16 posts

#58. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 57

Tue 06-Mar-07 07:24 PM

Ok thank you for the explanation & ISO shutter speed. Is this the lens I want -> Nikon 50 mm f/1.8D Nikkor AF Lens? I like the idea that it may improve my indoor shots over using the 18-135mm. That may be most of my problem with my indoor shots.

klrbee25

Naples, US
1384 posts

#59. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 58

Tue 06-Mar-07 07:38 PM

>Ok thank you for the explanation & ISO shutter speed. Is
>this the lens I want -> Nikon 50 mm f/1.8D Nikkor AF Lens?
>I like the idea that it may improve my indoor shots over
>using the 18-135mm. That may be most of my problem with my
>indoor shots.

That's the correct lens. It should list new at around US$100. While it won't work miracles, when used properly I think you'll find it to be much more versatile indoors. If you get your post-processing fingers wet to reduce image noise, you'll even get some amazing ambient lighting club/concert photos at higher ISOs that you otherwise could never have taken with most other lenses.

As for everyone who continues to post on this thread and chastize poor Lowenste for his original post: It's clear that he had no ill intentions and perhaps has changed his view regarding our beloved D80. So, let's cut him some slack, post supportive comments from now on to further aid his D80 prowess, and realize that he can't change his title now that it's 4680 minutes or whatever past the original post date.

-Alex Rosen

SamFisher

US
4 posts

#60. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 55

SamFisher Registered since 14th Dec 2006
Tue 06-Mar-07 07:22 PM

lowenste: You're plain wrong. Start a new post with the title: "I don't know how to use my D80."

The flickr.com pics and the statements you've made, indicate that you probably have zero experience with an SLR. Getting good exposure in low-light requires understanding how to use your camera and its settings. Point and shoot cams are designed to make all those decisions for you.

Most likely the two (lol) D80 bodies you returned were flawless cameras that someone will now buy as refurbs. No wonder there are so many available.

When you learn how to use the D80, your Olympus c740 will go unused.

Good luck!

lowenste

16 posts

#61. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 60

Tue 06-Mar-07 07:39 PM

When I spoke with Nikon on the phone about the problems with the first D80 they had me take some pictures under the settings they told me and then had me send pictures to review the histograms with them. Nikon told me the camera was bad and to it return it. The second camera is not returned, but is only being sent out for testing to be sure it is ok. I did have an slr (non-digital) for 10 years before my p&s digital. I used my slr mostly on Auto & S modes and always had rich sharp pictures with both. I admit that I have no experience with Digital SLR but in my view, a $1300 camera out of the box in auto mode should take stunning pictures and it sadly does not.

babadudu

1 posts

#62. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 61

babadudu Registered since 06th Mar 2007
Tue 06-Mar-07 09:27 PM

It's kind of like buying a manual car but doens't want to learn Manual Shift, perhaps all you want to do is steptronic,

I believe even if you buy the D2Xs, you will get the same result if you don't know how to use it. The price of the camera body won't make that much difference.

I guess you need to think about why did you purchase the D80 at the first place, do you just want great picture quality from Auto Mode?

caprae

Athens, US
925 posts

#63. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 61

caprae Registered since 20th Apr 2006
Wed 07-Mar-07 04:11 AM

I was going to say that I was blown away with the first pics out of my D80. I regularly shoot sports for my kid's school - indoor swimming, cross country and now track and generally just give the school a disk. The color, saturation, exposure are generally spot on. I'm amazed at all of the "post processing" comments here. Sure, things can always be tweaked, but to say you have to tweak to get very good results is not true either.

That being said, I will give Alex Rosen's jpg settings a try.

One area that you can get seriously messed up in is if you set your White Balance to something other than auto, then forget to change it for the next shoot. I was shooting with a flash at a night track meet and had forgotten that I had set the WB to daylight earlier that day.

Tim
We think because we have words, not the other way around. Madeleine L'Engle

My Gallery

Fried Toast

JP
2 posts

#64. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 63

Fried Toast Registered since 05th Jan 2007
Wed 07-Mar-07 03:14 PM

>One area that you can get seriously messed up in is if you
>set your White Balance to something other than auto, then
>forget to change it for the next shoot. I was shooting with
>a flash at a night track meet and had forgotten that I had
>set the WB to daylight earlier that day.

One thing I try to do each time I pick up the camera after a small absence is to do a reset (holding down the 2 green dotted buttons to the R. of the little screen). That puts the defaults back in place and you don't have to worry what sort o' odd settings you may have had in place the last time you shot.

I'm just a beginner, but I've appreciated that function since I read about it- saves a lot of headaches!

cecat90

Folsom, US
364 posts

#65. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 60

cecat90 Registered since 11th Aug 2006
Tue 06-Mar-07 10:23 PM

>lowenste: You're plain wrong. Start a new post with the
>title: "I don't know how to use my D80."

correct!!! if you dont know how to use it then ask, read, practice.. then talk...

Stitch

US
332 posts

#66. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

Stitch Registered since 12th Jan 2006
Wed 07-Mar-07 10:17 AM

The camera focus mechanism is very poor, the
>picture quality is awful, and the colors are terrible unless
>you do extreme post PC processing. Don't believe all the
>excellent reviews you read on this camera!!! Don't buy it.

Well, not trying to pick a bone. But can you explain why you came to these conclusions? Did you read the manuals and books properly? There's shots coming out of this camera I have seen which work wonders and being posted in professional magazines, posters, images... etc.

It just makes me cringe when I see stuff like this, but no work to show for or reasoning for their statement. To me I see this as no different than someone walking up and saying "Burger King Rules! McDonalds sucks! The bread tastes bad, the meat is bad."

It would help if you had images with metadata for us to check out, or show us the quality of your work before your purchase of the camera. People might be able to help recommend solutions easier.

...and don't throw it in the garbage. I am sure there are more than enough people here who would pay you to ship it to them.

-------------------------
www.philipcuencofilms.com

Winsy

Dresden, DE
7 posts

#67. "RE: Warning: The Nikon D80 is a very bad camera" | In response to Reply # 0

Winsy Registered since 11th Jan 2007
Wed 07-Mar-07 11:25 AM

hi,
your exp.(15 years) is not warranty that you able to handle D80,... it's like a small nice bird flying for his first and never stop,... and you try to catch him. Just learn how the best hunter shot that bird.
Cheers,
Winsy

"Dust is very small approx. 0.001-10,000 µm, but we should avoid it from our CCD and then from our body (Winsy, 2007)"

Dave C

Dunfermline, UK
2004 posts

#68. "Read The Whole Thread" | In response to Reply # 67

Wed 07-Mar-07 11:39 AM

C'mon guys,

Read the whole thread before jumping on the guy.

If you do you will see that he has linked an example, has dropped the initial tone, has acepted the good advice given and stated that he is keeping the camera.

Dave C
Scottish Nikonian
My Gallery

James23p

Memphis, US
10269 posts

#69. "RE: Read The Whole Thread" | In response to Reply # 68

Wed 07-Mar-07 01:47 PM

Thanks Dave you beat me to it. He has said he's sorry for his frustrating start but has listened and is willing to try. Plus there were a bunch of early bad D80's so lets cut some slack.

Mods maybe we can look at locking this thread and let Lowenste start a new thread when he gets more news from Nikon and as he has specific questions as people are jumping in and making it worde without reading this rather long thread. Ofcoarse if thats okay with Lowenste, I do believe he is trying. Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

DerDrache

Gahanna, US
21 posts

#70. "RE: Read The Whole Thread" | In response to Reply # 69

Wed 07-Mar-07 02:01 PM

Agreed. Lowenste seems like a perfectly reasonable person who was frustrated because he wasn't getting the results he was expecting from a piece of gear he dropped good money on. I foresee him becoming a very valuable addition to the Nikonian community but if people don't RTFT and see that he's not here to just trash our beloved D80 but actually wants to work on getting better with it (like we all do, I'm sure) he's certainly not going to feel very welcome. And that would make me a sad panda.

lowenste

16 posts

#71. "RE: Read The Whole Thread" | In response to Reply # 70

Wed 07-Mar-07 04:14 PM

I definitely would like to start a new thread and lock this one out. The advise and kind words from replies have taken me from a state of frustration to excitement about my new camera and have completely turned me around. In fact I can't wait to get my camera back from Nikon now!!! Whatever Nikon finds out is OK with me. If it was a camera defect then fine, I'll get one back that is fixed. If not, I'll know I have a really lot to learn. Actually, either way I know I have a lot to learn about the D80 and digital photography.

I also purchased the 50mm lens to try out for my indoors shots (as recommended by some users here) and will apply other suggestions when I have the camera in my hands again. I had the most trouble with dark indoor shots using the 18-135mm lens and I really think that lens will help. The 135mm was not bad outside. I also ordered an instructional DVD on the D80, and bought some books on digital photography which I have started reading. There is also a 2 hour class the camera store is giving me for free plus I'm looking at what the local college has to offer. I also have read the manual twice and will read it again because there is a lot to absorb.

Please close this thread and don't come down on me anymore for my original comments. I am very sorry for them and I really very much appreciate the help that I certainly see I can get here within this community.

Thanks again to all - Wayne

jules

UK
967 posts

#72. "RE: Read The Whole Thread" | In response to Reply # 71

jules Basic Member
Wed 07-Mar-07 07:16 PM

Always a learning curve with a new Camera! I have a certain amount of difficulty switching between the D200 and the D80 at times, that said some things the D80 does it does brilliantly! i guess what i'm saying is all Camera's are different and the D80 is no exception, not usually bad just different and it takes time to learn. Here you will get nothing but good advice, enjoy the Camera, this ones supposed to be my Girlfriends to learn on and i think i've let her use it twice Lovin it...
Cheers Jules.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

Delta5

Eynsford, UK
264 posts

#73. "RE: Read The Whole Thread" | In response to Reply # 69

Delta5 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2006
Wed 07-Mar-07 04:14 PM

There were and could still be some D80s which do have flash exposure problems like Lowenste's. There are several threads discussing this:

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID236/614.html#0
http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID236/905.html#0
http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID236/1102.html#0
http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID236/1170.html#0

Some of the key points were:
- quite a few D80 owners have seen this problem
- the underexposure happens in all modes and with both built-in and SB800 / SB600 units (not sure about the SB400)
- the degree of underexposure is inconsistent, so it is not possible to use comp effectively
- it appears that one does not get this problem or have to compensate in this way on other Nikon DSLR bodies or 35mm SLR bodies (except when shooting against a pale background, as one would expect).

My D80 is one of those affected. Based on images I sent in, Nikon UK referred it to Nikon Japan, then asked me to bring it in so that they can check the TTL exposure calibration. I have yet to find a suitable time to do that, but I will post the outcome when I get it done.

Bad exposure is not always just a matter of 'learning how to use the camera'.

Dv
"Live like you're going to die tomorrow, learn like you're going to live forever." - Gandhi

Dave
Blue Delta Photography

alofsac

Sacramento, US
28 posts

#74. "RE: Read The Whole Thread" | In response to Reply # 73

alofsac Registered since 28th Feb 2006
Thu 08-Mar-07 08:14 AM

Lowenstien

I forgive you for your "Bad Camera" post .. I too owned a an OLYMPUS CZ 740 10x optical zoom in the palm of your hand .. I miss it , best candid shooter I ever owned It had a programmable "My Camera" spot on the command dial that allowed you to program your own shot settings 4 separate ones for different conditions . Wish NIKON would do that ..I digress

I got a D80 because of the lack of quick response / frame rate . I suspect some of us were disappointed with Nikon's in camera processing when we just wanted some quick and flashy jpegs to post .. After learning how to adjust the image settings in camera my D80 can can output images gaudy as any point and shoot . Jpegs optimized for the web as to color space size and resolution can be done "In Camera" and shooting in RAW+(Jpeg of your choice). Gives you the choice of converting and editing the raw file. I think you if are making prints you will want to "develop" the raw file data in computer. See the Image post processing forum . Publishers will want the largest high res file of course.

Post processing software can be EXPENSIVE but there are alternatives as others have pointed out. You might want to give Bibble Lite a Look it has all the basic bells and whistles, auto clean up, noise reduction, sharpining, and a "Healing Tool" to take care of dust spots $85 I think . Adobe Light Room is also KILLER but $200 is a little pricey for me.
GNU Image Manipulation Program , is a Photoshop like program that is totally free and open source. It includes lots of plug-ins and people are developing free on a regular basis Takes e a little getting used to but can do most stuff photo shop can do .

ISO=Film Speed . Faster Film allows you to shoot in lower light. ISO is fixed when you shoot film unless you have another body strapped to you loaded with an even faster film.. DSLR's allow you to change "film speed" for each shot .. On the D80 you can set the ISO to Auto and set the maximum allowable ISO you can live with ( Mines set to 800 and gives me reasonably noise free image)

The D80 with the f1.8 50mm on a rock steady tripod, mirror lock selected and using the timer or the Ir remote will produce an images sharp enough to carve a boarding house roast.

And that's all I've got to say on this subject .. and yes I did read the whole post LOL ....

Al the fat guy

Dave C

Dunfermline, UK
2004 posts

#75. "RE: Read The Whole Thread" | In response to Reply # 74

Thu 08-Mar-07 09:59 AM

"It had a programmable "My Camera" spot on the command dial that allowed you to program your own shot settings 4 separate ones for different conditions . Wish NIKON would do that .."

Hi,

The bank settings on the D200 allow you to do just that but I don't know if the D80 has this feature. But I digress.........

Dave C
Scottish Nikonian
My Gallery

owl

US
7492 posts

#76. "Locking the Thread at Request of Original Poster" | In response to Reply # 75

owl Platinum Member Donor Ribbon awarded for her generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Jun 2002
Thu 08-Mar-07 12:54 PM

Since the original poster has asked that this thread be closed,
I am going to lock it.

Thank you all for helping our new member, lowenste.
Is this a great place or what?!?

-Lela

"If you ever drop your camera
into a river of molten lava,
let it go because, man, it's gone."

"If you ever drop your camera
into a river of molten lava,
let it go because, man, it's gone."

G