Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS I Want to Sell topic #18030
View in threaded mode

Subject: "NEW Failure to deliver goods" Previous topic | Next topic
Karpaasi Registered since 26th Sep 2006Wed 18-Oct-06 01:32 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NEW Failure to deliver goods"

US

I hate to be doing this, but there doesn't seem to be any resolution. I'll stick to the facts. I would appreciate it if an administrator would post this permanently at the beginning of this forum.

Transactions:

#18323 2GB CF card for sale by jwtex. I paid for this item via PayPal on Oct. 4th, but have not received this item. Four emails have gone unanswered. Total paid was $50.00.

#18324 Lexar CF card reader for sale by jwtex. Bought by treebeard and paid for on Oct. 4th. He has not received this item. He has also tried to contact Joe. Total paid was $70.00.

#18325 Bogen 3021BPRO tripod with 488RCO ball head for sale by jwtex. I paid for this item via PayPal on Oct. 4th, but have not received this item. Four emails have gone unanswered. Total paid was $165.00.

Unfortunately, I do not have a phone # or address for jwtex. If anyone on Nikonians has this information from a previous transaction, please email me with this information.

Between myself and treebeard, we have sent several emails to jwtex, and have thus far waited 13 days for our items, which were said to be shipped on Oct. 5th. We have not heard from the seller.

If anyone has any advice on how we can pursue this through other channels, please let me know.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
sweetbuys Registered since 11th Jul 2006Wed 18-Oct-06 01:44 AM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'm very sorry to hear of your experience and what is a black mark on an otherwise excellent forum. I'd suggest looking into paypal and their buyer assurance program or the like to request a refund for non-delivered goods. I think there are a few requirements about the party involved in order for it to apply (such as being a certain type of member), but worth checking out. I don't have experience with their fraud protection personally, but several people I know have reported good experiences. Good luck and keep us posted as to how it turns out.

kennyg92 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th May 2006Wed 18-Oct-06 03:32 AM
250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 1

Seattle, US

You can file a claim with PayPal who will examine all aspects of the transaction, and attempt to contact the person.

If the person doesn't have a balance in PayPal that can be extracted from I'd say you'd be out of luck. PayPal only ensures buyer protection (up to $1000) for items purchased through eBay from qualified Sellers.

They can threaten to close his account, but if the person doesn't care, well......

I've looked at all of the "FS" posts by jwtex and personally, if I saw that many posts indicating that he didn't ever respond to emails I wouldn't ever consider engaging in a transaction with him.

Best wishes to you getting things resolved.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

trailmaster Basic MemberWed 18-Oct-06 04:52 AM
718 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 2

Newport, US

I know the feeling...Anyways, I had same experience, however it turned out well in that I received my money back. I paid through paypal, and after a certain period of time had passed, I contacted paypal, and they checked into it, giving the seller time to respond, which he did. He said he had sent the item to me and had a USPS receipt which he claimed was for the item I had not received. USPS was unable to do ANYTHING for me, (clue to all: possibly insist on UPS, as they have tracking and can find missing items). Paypal had to give this fellow Nikonian time to pay me back, which he did after a waiting period passed for USPS to admit it was "lost". However, through emails to paypal I found out that they would have reimbursed me since I 1)paid through them, 2)it was being sent to my "guaranteed" address. It takes some searching through paypal website as it is hid fairly well, but you can find them and start a complaint, non-receipt of goods process, at the end of which one usually can get back their money. I believe I did pay a bit more for this piece of mind, but it paid off back to me. Try it out, don't give up until they hang up on you.

treebeard Registered since 14th Sep 2006Wed 18-Oct-06 12:05 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Incidents like this lower my trust for people. This is the first trasanction between Nikonians and Ebay where I have had a problem with an item purchased. I guess there is a first for everything.

ehparis Registered since 25th May 2006Wed 18-Oct-06 07:20 PM
1798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'd advise some additional patience. (Easy to say, not easy to do.)

It's been two weeks. I've had eBay sellers string me out 30 days before delivering the goods. One, for example, claimed to have been in the hospital and I had no reason to disbelieve him.

PayPal, in general, has a minimum time of thirty (30) days from the date of an auction or transaction before they do anything. You can call them (don't have number) and they will advise you what to do. A reseller for me recently did this and they gave her some sound advice. PayPal does have concerns about transactions other than eBay but the limits of their protection are something I don't know.

Good luck!

Jerry

"If your pictures aren't good enough,
you're not close enough." -Robert Capa

StephanieHelen Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Fri 20-Oct-06 03:42 AM
224 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa, US

Hi there, sorry about the poor experience, hope it turns out well. Anyway, if you paid through Paypal with a credit card transaction, you can pursue it through the credit card company if you prefer. I received a refund on paypal funds from a bad Ebay purchase and paypal did a good job, I was surprised.

Good luck and thanks for posting.
Stephanie

Karpaasi Registered since 26th Sep 2006Sat 21-Oct-06 04:30 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 0

US

First, THANKS for your concern!!!

Here's an update...

Hello, anyone, anyone, Bueller...Jwtex has apparently dropped off the face of the earth. No reponse whatsoever, not even to the dispute on PayPal. My next move is to file a claim on PayPal and see what Visa will do for me, since I used a Visa card for the transaction.

Someone mentioned giving it some time. While I agree, we decided to move on this based on the fact that this exact same thing happened two years ago with the same seller, with positive results for the buyer (he eventually got his merchandise). Also, there is a similar issue going on at FM with the same seller. So, this isn't an isolated case.

I'll let folks know what's going on when I know more. I can't do much at the moment but play the waiting game. If the seller reads this, some communication would be nice. No ill feelings, I would just like my money back or the merchandise.

treebeard Registered since 14th Sep 2006Sat 21-Oct-06 08:03 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Agreed, money back or the goods would be nice.

petrieme Registered since 29th Jan 2007Sat 21-Oct-06 08:20 PM
606 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 7

US

It happened to me once about 4 years ago on Ebay. It was not big deal -- I filed a dispute immed. with my CC company (paypal funded transaction via CC), and then filed a claim with paypal once the time restriction was up. Never had to pay a penny.

I would say good luck, but if you used paypal, your covered

-----
"A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees." -William Blake

http://fstopstudios.blogspot.com

Karpaasi Registered since 26th Sep 2006Sun 22-Oct-06 09:13 PM
#10. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Petrieme,

I hope you're right. I know that PayPal guarantees ebay transactions, but I don't know if they guarantee transactions from other sites? I have filed a claim, and they are investigating it. My assumption would be that I would get my money back if there is some money on the seller's Paypal account, but if he's cleaned out his account, I'm out of luck.

I used a Visa cc, and I'm going to call them in the morning and see if they offer any protection for a sale through Paypal.

ehparis Registered since 25th May 2006Sun 22-Oct-06 10:05 PM
1798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 10

US

I believe the situation is better than you think. You'll discover when contacting your Visa bank that you can request a "charge back," i.e., credit for the charge on your credit card.

PayPal basically has to cooperate with such charge backs as they're the middle man and have no real say in whether your card bank pays or not. Your real interest should be in dealing with your own bank and simply apprising PayPal of what's going on. The latter lets PayPal know the reason for the problem so that they will not place your account with them in dispute.

Most banks will require some evidence about the dispute. Print outs of emails usually suffice. It also helps to have your credit card through a local bank where you can follow up in person.

I've been down this road twice (defective merchandise) and it's quite easy to handle, at least with my Visa bank it was. PayPal would much rather deal with your checking account or debit card as that gives them control of the procedure and I have no interest in dealing with someone the likes of PayPal. That's why their first payment option is always your checking account, not some credit card you've put up as security.

Jerry

"If your pictures aren't good enough,
you're not close enough." -Robert Capa

euphorit Registered since 28th Sep 2006Fri 08-Dec-06 04:28 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 7

Inverness, US

I had simular incident with an Ebay seller and Pay Pal,
I spent $849.00 for an 18-200 VR, things got spooky when he sent me an email asking for more money, I contacted Pay Pal and Ebay, the same day. They already paid this crook, his Ebay seller status was revoked, Pay Pal account shut down. Pay Pal refunded me $175.00 the Max allowed in this transaction. Luckily, I always pay with my CC.
Which is Capitol One, I made one phone call to Capitol One and they reversed the charge. (fully) Pay Pal will have to eat the difference.
Which they should, they gave the guy an account and didn't monitor his
account status. They should have funds on account and no transactions allowed until that account is funded with cover.
Hope all goes well, Call your CC company NOW!!!, you are covered against fraud. Good Luck
Euphorit

Chuck

Karpaasi Registered since 26th Sep 2006Thu 02-Nov-06 12:27 AM
#13. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Finally some resolution...

Visa reversed my charges, which is GREAT news! However, I was a bit irritated with how PayPal handled it. I filed a dispute and then a claim with PayPal. However, if you file a claim with your credit card company, PayPal immediately drops the claim and opens up a chargeback, and gives the seller additional time to respond. So, the old claim no longer exists in Paypal's mind, and they open the chargeback claim, which starts the process all over...weird. Anyway, MY money has been refunded, so PayPal can collect from the seller.

Oh, and I bought a tripod and the CF cards I needed (all for a good deal), so life is good.

kcboyz4365 Registered since 13th Dec 2005Tue 12-Dec-06 02:18 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 13

Hi:

I have had bad luck with PayPal. It seems they are only interested in collecting. When you have an issue with them, they give you the run-around. I try to avoid using PayPal as much as possible as they lack Customer Service.

-It seems that crooks are now infiltrating this website from my initial new member experience.

Regards;
kcboyz4365

nikkormac Basic MemberSat 13-Jan-07 05:04 AM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#15. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 14

huntington, US

you're not alone, kc. i still use paypal, but i've done so with a general feeling of distrust for years now. they're a smarmy operation. notice how your "default" funding sources for the payments you make are the ones that most benefit paypal and least benefit you (i.e., transfer from your bank account, for which your bank may charge you a fee, rather than payment via your credit card, which costs *paypal* a fee) - and how those "defaults" can't be changed once and for all, but must be changed by you, manually, each time you perform a transaction. where a given fee can be paid either by paypal or by the customer, paypal makes it as difficult as possible to use the funding source that will charge paypal the fees, and once you've specified that that's what you want to do, paypal won't simply do it, but will first nag you - "are you sure you want to pay with a credit card (which will cost us credit card fees)? are you sure you wouldn't rather pay through your bank account (which will cost you transfer fees)? blah blah blah...". i've never seen another company so shamelessly put its interests before those of its customers.

--

tiger

http://www.myriadlights.com
http://www.dreamstime.com/resp114514

there are three kinds of people: those
who can count, and those who can't.

--

tiger

My stock photography at Alamy Images

there are three kinds of people: those
who can count, and those who can't.

bobcamarena Registered since 04th May 2003Sat 20-Jan-07 04:10 PM
1471 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 0

Sacramento, US

I see that PayPal now offers a PayPal/Mastercard credit card (as opposed to their "virtual debit card"), that includes not only the standard credit card protection but some additional buyer protection (I didn't read all the fine print) for items purchased through PayPal.

It's a no-fee card so I'm wondering if this is the solution. Other than you're having one more credit card, I don't really see a downside.

Any thoughts?

Bob Camarena

LadyHawkna Basic MemberTue 23-Jan-07 10:55 AM
238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 16

US

Out of curiousity I went in search of who owns PayPal. According to this article Ebay owns Paypal.. Interesting .

http://news.com.com/2100-1017-941964.html
I stopped trusting paypal a while back when I got an email confirmation that said my money was going to be paid out. I thought WHAT I hadnt bought anything. Good Luck in all your transactions. I hope you get your money back .

bobcamarena Registered since 04th May 2003Tue 23-Jan-07 02:04 PM
1471 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 17

Sacramento, US

The message you received was probably a "phishing" spam message. I get them all the time telling me there's been unusual activity, I haven't paid for something, I'm going to be dropped from eBay, my Paypal info needs updating, etc. They're invariably all some sort of phishing scam trying to get your sign-on information.

Bob Camarena

reuben Moderator Landscape and Sports in depth expertise Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Nikonian since 21st Jan 2004Thu 01-Feb-07 12:17 AM
10418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: NEW Failure to deliver goods"
In response to Reply # 0

Mayo, US

This thread appears to have run its course. If you have any further information, please contact one of the moderators, who will update the thread if necessary.

Simplify

Cormorants

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS I Want to Sell topic #18030 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.