Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS I Want to Sell topic #109068
View in threaded mode

Subject: "New Paypal Gift method may cost sellers payment" Previous topic | Next topic
OffBeat Registered since 08th May 2003Sun 03-Feb-13 02:48 AM
611 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New Paypal Gift method may cost sellers payment"
Sun 03-Feb-13 02:57 AM by OffBeat

US

I hope this is okay to post this here in the for sale forum as it might save someone from losing a lot of money. Not necessarily here, but any buy / sell forum.

For those that request PP Gift payment you might want to be careful. You will save paying your PP fees but senders can now send money Gift and use their credit card to do it.

Purchaser can reverse payment via credit card and you will be out your payment. Hard to fight with PP or anothers credit card company over someone taking back gift money. To do so you will have to admit that you tried to avoid fees on an item you sold by taking Gift option. Be careful out there!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Sun 03-Feb-13 03:51 PM
3453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New Paypal Gift method may cost sellers payment"
In response to Reply # 0

St. Augustine, US

Another problem with the gift option is that, as a purchaser, you lose all your PayPal purchaser protection.

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

FutureLook Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2003Mon 04-Feb-13 04:09 PM
480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New Paypal Gift method may cost sellers payment"
In response to Reply # 0

Miami, US

I want to thank both of you for this relevant information. It is greatly appreciated.

Visit my website: http://www.futurelookphotography.com

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Mon 04-Feb-13 05:59 PM
1954 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New Paypal Gift method may cost sellers payment"
In response to Reply # 0

NL

WOW!!! This is seriously important to know. Thanks for posting.

It should almost be required reading. Maybe a moderator will pin this post.

— LaDonna

wh_auden Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2008Mon 04-Feb-13 07:25 PM
481 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New Paypal Gift method may cost sellers payment"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 06-Feb-13 12:18 PM by wh_auden

US

Hopefully this will help to stop the "Gift Pay" option that was not appropriate. I would never buy from any seller that requested the gift option.

wh_auden

In The Middle Of Difficulty, Lies Opportunity

John Kreisler Registered since 29th Dec 2008Tue 05-Feb-13 12:16 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New Paypal Gift method may cost sellers payment"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I fully subscribe to the notion not to engage in "a gift" transaction.
It deprives both, the seller and the buyer, of a critical form of Purchase protection.
In a recent transaction I purchased a lens, paid the asked for $1050.00 but never received the purchased item. PayPal recovered my funds with 10 days of fiing a claim. The seller must realize that saving the few dollars by circumventing the system can be a costly mistake to both parties. Seller...build the few buck into the price or consider it as a "cost of doing business"
Now let me get off my soapbox and run off...........

Tippi Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2003Tue 05-Feb-13 03:01 PM
171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: New Paypal Gift method may cost sellers payment"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks! I don't do a lot of selling/buying so I had no clue.

sheesh I hope the recent item I sold and let them use 'gift' option goes smoothly for me.

Does it matter if you immediately transfer the funds into your bank account? I don't usually leave money in my paypal account for long.

ts

MikeW2ck Silver Member Charter MemberTue 05-Feb-13 07:40 PM
341 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: New Paypal Gift method may cost sellers payment"
In response to Reply # 6
Tue 05-Feb-13 09:47 PM by MikeW2ck

US

Thanks.

Right, I only use the Gift option to transfer money from friends or family. When it is asked for here it is simply to save the seller money. As stated above, the buyer will lose rights and claims in the transaction.

It should also be noted here it is illegal per your Paypal agreement to ask the seller to reimburse Paypal fees you incur as the result of a sale of goods. It is in section 4.6 of your Paypal User Agreement.

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

If you want to sell using Paypal this is the price you pay for the convenience. This is the most anal forum I have ever been associated with which makes it hard to believe the moderators still tolerate this.

Do not try and sell me a $3000 used camera and then have the nerve to ask for an additional 3 percent because you would like to use Paypal. Edit: It is not my intention to rant nor is the above directed at any one individual on this forum.

wh_auden Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2008Tue 05-Feb-13 07:54 PM
481 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: New Paypal Gift method may cost sellers payment"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Very well stated Mike and I totally agree.

wh_auden

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Tue 05-Feb-13 10:35 PM
1074 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: New Paypal Gift method may cost sellers payment"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The pros and cons and moral positions regarding the PayPal gift option have been beat to death many times on this forum. Please don't go down that path again.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

wh_auden Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2008Wed 06-Feb-13 12:27 PM
#10. "RE: New Paypal Gift method may cost sellers payment"
In response to Reply # 9

US

>The pros and cons and moral positions regarding the PayPal
>gift option have been beat to death many times on this forum.
>Please don't go down that path again.
>Dave Jolley

Dave

If what you state is true and Nikonians is supposed to be an "honest" forum; how do you explain that the Gift Pay and PayPal fee charging practice continues?

wh_auden

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Wed 06-Feb-13 08:02 PM
1074 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: New Paypal Gift method may cost sellers payment"
In response to Reply # 10

US

>>The pros and cons and moral positions regarding the
>PayPal
>>gift option have been beat to death many times on this
>forum.
>>Please don't go down that path again.
>>Dave Jolley
>
>Dave
>
>If what you state is true and Nikonians is supposed to be an
>"honest" forum; how do you explain that the Gift Pay
>and PayPal fee charging practice continues?

I have no idea what you are saying. My point is that every time the paypal gift option is mentioned it always leads to endless debates over its use and whether it is right or wrong. It's clear many of you don't think it right for sellers to use it and that's fine, but we've heard that over and over. There is no point in going down that road again. If you don't agree with it, don't buy from sellers that use it.
The original post was just an update on a recent change paypal instituted, it doesn't need more debate.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

georgem Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2006Thu 07-Feb-13 12:27 AM
724 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: New Paypal Gift method may cost sellers payment"
In response to Reply # 11

East lansing, US

Hi Dave.

I say this with all due respect....I mean that? I guess I have to disagree with you on your point that it has been beat to death already and there is no point covering it again. I see more value in talking about it than I see a down side in its airing.

New member arrive all the time and it may be useful to bring it up from time to time.

I trust I'm not out of line in my opinion. I just don't see the problem with this discussion.

George Macaluso
East Lansing, Michigan.

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Thu 07-Feb-13 02:48 AM
1530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: New Paypal Gift method may cost sellers payment"
In response to Reply # 0

Frederick, US

I guess what I hear some of you guys saying is that you have to be careful when you try to cheat the system to save some money. Doesn't go without saying?

I think Paypal has organized it pretty well. If you really want to give a "gift" you can do it anyway you like and if for some reason you change your mind, I guess you can get your gift back (I didn't know this), but if it is really a gift, then no one is going to lose any money.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, P7000, Oly OM-D E-M5, Oly E-P2IR
Nikkor Zooms: AF-S 28-300 f/3.5-5.6, AF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6
Nikkor primes: 24 f/2.8Ai-S, 24 f/2.8D, 28 f/2.8D, 50 f/1.4D, AF-S 50 F/1.8, 85 f/1.4D, Nikkor-C 500 f/8 Refl.
Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-300 Macro f/3.5-5.6.
Oly 12-42mm f/3.5-5.6, 45mm f/1.8
Lumix 12-35 f/2.8, 25mm f/1.4, 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8, 100-300mm f/4.0-5.6
Gitzo GT3541L, Manfrotto MT293A4, MP 680B
Markins M-20, RRS BH-25 Pro

jwrupley Registered since 25th Apr 2008Sat 09-Feb-13 01:19 PM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: New Paypal Gift method may cost sellers payment"
In response to Reply # 11

Holland, PA, US

Dave
I always find it interesting when someone takes a contra-position as passionately as you seem to with this issue. I generally read this forum and others on Nikonians three or four times a week and for whatever reason, I did not see previous posts on this subject. I had no idea about the gifte issue. I buy and sell infrequently, but this is very useful information and I for one applaude the initiator for bringing the subject up, and secondly for the monitor leaving it on the forum site for others to see and comment on. Seems to me that if you are tired of the subject, you just don't need to read it, let alone comment on it. Just MHO.

John

JW Rupley
--------

Photo Shoots are like a box of chocolates, you just never know what you might get!

My Gallery

My Other Gallery
http://johnwrupley.zenfolio.com/

IndyGeoff Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2007Sat 09-Feb-13 03:26 PM
165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: New Paypal Gift method may cost sellers payment"
In response to Reply # 7

Greenwood, US

Conversely, do not buy the camera if 3% is a big deal to the buyer. /shrugs

I shake my head at cheaters.

kennyg92 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th May 2006Wed 13-Feb-13 04:27 PM
250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: New Paypal Gift method may cost sellers payment"
In response to Reply # 14

Seattle, US

>Dave
>Seems to me that if you are tired of the subject, you
>just don't need to read it, let alone comment on it.
>
>John

Totally agree. Keep it to yourself.

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS I Want to Sell topic #109068 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.