Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Nikon D700 - REDUCED - SOLD

esantos esantos

Is from: McAllen, US
15330 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
esantos Gold Member Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing ... Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been ex... Winner of the Best of Nikonians Images 2018 Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002
Thu 04-Oct-12 07:57 AM | edited Wed 24-Oct-12 11:02 PM by jrp
This is a D700 reconditioned at the Nikon factory. The only thing that really distinguishes this from a new, unused camera is the box which contains the words "Reconditioned Product". USA model purchased as reconditioned from J&R.com. Comes with all the usual accessories of a new model - strap (unopened), battery charger, connectors, manuals, etc., and the complete box. When the camera arrived it had 628 shutter actuations and looked as new. The camera has functioned perfectly without a single problem whatsoever over the last three years. Camera currently has 5,047 actuations. Selling to help finance my new D800, otherwise I would keep it.

$1,595.00 Would like to move this - NOW $1,495.00

PayPal only. I cover transaction fees and standard shipping with insurance via UPS to the continental U.S. Sorry, domestic sale only.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)
Attachment#5 (jpg file)

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography
Get my new e-Book "Churches of Texas"

See my portfolio.

blakeboyd

Is from: Bend, US
381 posts

#1. "RE: Nikon D700 - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 0

blakeboyd Registered since 22nd Aug 2009
Thu 04-Oct-12 02:06 PM
Ernesto,

Can you please verify if that is just a hair (or something else) in the viewfinder on picture #2.

The rest of the body looks in great shape! Being a refurb, is there any warranty left on the camera?

Thanks,
Blake

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

#2. "RE: Nikon D700 - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 1

Thu 04-Oct-12 04:03 PM
Blake,

That's what the eyepiece shutter looks like in the closed position.

Rocky
esantos esantos

15330 posts

#3. "RE: Nikon D700 - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 1

esantos Gold Member Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing ... Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been ex... Winner of the Best of Nikonians Images 2018 Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002
Thu 04-Oct-12 06:21 PM | edited Fri 05-Oct-12 06:28 AM by esantos
Hi Blake,

As Rocky noted that is the seam created by the viewfinder curtain. There is no warranty, Nikon reconditioned cameras only have a 90 warranty which has long since expired, but the good news is that it is a USA model so no problem sending it for repairs in the U.S. should you ever have to.

Ernesto Santos

See my portfolio.

steve_schuster

Is from: Glenwood, US
146 posts

#4. "RE: Nikon D700 - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 3

steve_schuster Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2012
Thu 04-Oct-12 07:18 PM
email sent

esantos esantos

15330 posts

#5. "RE: Nikon D700 - REDUCED - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 0

Sat 06-Oct-12 10:46 AM
Reduced a second time:

NOW $1,295.00

Ernesto Santos

See my portfolio.

cdholden

Is from: US
15 posts

#6. "RE: Nikon D700 - REDUCED - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 5

cdholden Registered since 28th Feb 2007
Sat 06-Oct-12 10:51 AM
Message sent

esantos esantos

15330 posts

#7. "RE: Nikon D700 - REDUCED - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 0

Sat 06-Oct-12 08:01 PM
SOLD pending funds transfer.

Ernesto Santos

See my portfolio.

#8. "RE: Nikon D700 - REDUCED - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 7

Sun 07-Oct-12 06:15 AM
we have a new price point for a used D700 ...

#9. "RE: Nikon D700 - REDUCED - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 8

Sun 07-Oct-12 01:01 PM
I think it's a real shame. I've seen people dumping their D3X's for $3200, D3's for less than $3K, and now a D700 for less than $1300. These prices are crazy. I have both a D800 and a D600, and while they are nice camera bodies, I hate to see people literally giving away some really quality gear at fire sale prices.

Cheers,

CARL
D3XWannabe
hijazist hijazist

Is from: Houston, US
424 posts

#10. "RE: Nikon D700 - REDUCED - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 9

hijazist Registered since 16th Jul 2012
Sun 07-Oct-12 01:33 PM
On the other hand, it's great news for people who cannot afford such a great camera at it's premium price. If both parties are satisfied then it's a win-win situation for everyone.

Good luck Ernesto

ScottsFJ40 ScottsFJ40

Is from: Olympia, US
281 posts

#11. "RE: Nikon D700 - REDUCED - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 10

ScottsFJ40 Registered since 10th Sep 2007
Sun 07-Oct-12 06:06 PM
Agreed, and a I think that a lot of people were anticipating this price drop. I am getting very tempted myself. Even the D600 price is a bit outside of my current budget.

Scott Wood
www.scottwoodphotography.com
Twitter: Scott_Wood
Visit my Nikonians gallery

covrc covrc

Is from: Boston, US
396 posts

#12. "RE: Nikon D700 - REDUCED - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 11

covrc Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2004
Sun 07-Oct-12 08:28 PM
I am glad to see the price drop.

I can understand why great glass retains it's value and actually think this price drop is a bit behind schedule.
Right before I bought my used D700 here on Nikonians, I had photgrapher friends offering me their low shutter count D200 for $1100. That was crazy. Yes, $1300 is %50 of the value new, but this is still not exactly cheap for an electronics instrument with no warranty.

Anyway, hope everyone is enjoying all the great new gear.

Your gonna miss 100% of the shots you never take, so keep shooting.

Visit www.roccosphototavern.com

There's Something For Everybody At Rocco's Photo Tavern.

Performance, Landscape, Portrait, Street, Creative and more.

#13. "RE: Nikon D700 - REDUCED - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 12

Mon 08-Oct-12 07:27 AM
The D200 is now worth $200 if you can get that price. I personally think the D700 at $1300 is too high still, but ... there is always more discounting before christmas. I for one like the $2100 D600 I just bought and would not have spent half that for half the resolution without newer features and a factory warranty. I am very well aware that in one year, my D600 will be worth ... half what I paid.
esantos esantos

15330 posts

#14. "RE: Nikon D700 - REDUCED - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 0

Mon 08-Oct-12 09:51 AM
I never thought this sale would trigger such an interesting discussion. For the sake of clarity I just want to point out a few facts.

• The camera is reconditioned. That has an impact on the final sales price. I wanted to stress this in my offer because it was not a new camera when I purchased it. Even though a reconditioned camera can sometimes be more reliable than one straight off the factory line because it has been re-examined at the factory it is not "new" and this can mean something significant to some buyers.

• Because this is a reconditioned camera I was able to purchase it with a modest but significant discount. I felt it was important to pass this savings on to a fellow Nikonian.

• With no warranty this camera was going to sell for less than a standard unit.

• When I settle on my bottom-line prices when selling equipment I always take into consideration how much use I got out of it over the time period of ownership. In the case of this camera I feel I got an acceptable amount of use for a nominal cost.

• I believe that the price of the D700 has been propped up longer than previous models because of the natural disasters in Asia. For a considerable amount of time Nikon did not release any new models. Now that it looks like this lag has been overcome new models are coming fast. Because of the recent release of the D600 I noticed prices of D700 dropping fast.

• Finally, yes, I am satisfied with the final sales price for this camera. It helps me to pay off my new D800 and I feel I still got a fair deal with prices bound to drop even more in the very near future.

Ernesto Santos

See my portfolio.

leebaylin

Is from: Baltimore, US
848 posts

#15. "RE: Nikon D700 - REDUCED - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 14

leebaylin Silver Member Charter Member
Mon 08-Oct-12 10:20 AM | edited Mon 08-Oct-12 10:22 AM by leebaylin
As the purchaser of this D700 I was reluctant to jump into this discussion and speculate about Ernesto's view on the sale price. Now that he has spoken, it turns out our views are identical. I jumped on this precisely because it was a reconditioned unit, but I also, frankly, took advantage of the fact that reconditioned DSLRs typically show a discount of 10 to 20% in the used market.
I'm familiar with used Nikon DSLR prices. Although I paid full retail for my first D70, I have since bought another used D70, a used the 200, a second D200 in a closeout for $600 from Best Buy, and a used D300. I shop the market carefully because as a means of controlling my NAS, I set limits on the amount I'm willing to spend for certain purchases. Ernesto's price drop hit my trigger price and we had a deal.
Frankly, I don't understand why reconditioned units sell at a discount. From my perspective, it seems that they get a far better going over by factory technicians than do the units they come out of regular factory quality control. In this particular case, the camera was also field tested by one of the most respected photographers on this board. I'm sure had Ernesto had discovered a defect, he would have disclosed it. So while the market was reluctant to bid on it, I was happy to do so. The other D700 offered at the time was offered by a seller with almost no history on the board. That often puts of Nikonians.
I've been watching the 700 prices for close to a year now, and my view of the market is that this sale was not typical. If you look at eBay you'll see that D700s in the past week to 10 days have been selling for prices in the range of $1,500 to $1,800, with a few outliers in either direction. I believe that the price will settle at $1500 for some time because there just aren't many D700s coming on the market. Of course that may change after the holidays when a lot of D600 are bought as presents.

Lee Baylin

#16. "RE: Nikon D700 - REDUCED - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 15

Mon 08-Oct-12 11:04 AM
Reconditioned cameras are like ... demo automobiles. They have fewer miles, but those miles are hard miles. That is likely why they carry a 10-20% price discounts.

I too see the D700 listing for $1500 but... not for me. And that is just my personal preference which makes up only 1 point in the market.
SRFast SRFast

Is from: New York City, US
1525 posts

#17. "RE: Nikon D700 - REDUCED - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 16

SRFast Registered since 22nd Dec 2004
Mon 08-Oct-12 01:25 PM | edited Tue 09-Oct-12 11:32 AM by SRFast
Lee,
Congrats on your "new" D700. Your gain is my loss because I was going to contact Ernesto until I saw "Sale Pending" on an earlier post. It's been a long time since you purchased the D70 from me! Good luck with your D700.

I purchased a factory recondtioned D3 in 2009 and it serveed me well until I replaced it with a D3S. The D3 had less than 10 clicks on the shutter when I received it. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another factory reconditioned body again.

D3XWannabe said:
"I think it's a real shame. I've seen people dumping their D3X's for $3200, D3's for less than $3K, and now a D700 for less than $1300. These prices are crazy. I have both a D800 and a D600, and while they are nice camera bodies, I hate to see people literally giving away some really quality gear at fire sale prices."

As for asking prices, it is up to the seller to set his or her own price regardless of what the market resale value is. Seller's have their own reasons for what they want for their gear. As long as the seller is satisifed, it was a successful transaction.

Regards....JL

leebaylin

848 posts

#18. "RE: Nikon D700 - REDUCED - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 17

Tue 09-Oct-12 07:20 AM
Good to hear from you. I still have the D70
I bought from you. I sold my older one. It's on "loan" to a friend's middle school daughter for yearbook work.
Lee Baylin
ajdooley ajdooley

Is from: Waterloo, US
6631 posts

#19. "RE: Nikon D700 - REDUCED - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Moderator Awarded for his frequent encouraging comments, sharing his knowledge in the Nikonians spirit. Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2017 Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the 2017 fundraising campaign Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level of skill in several areas, especially photojo Ribbon awarded for his repeated generous contributions to the 2019 Fundraising campaign Donor Ribbon awarded for the contribution to the 2020 campaign Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sat 13-Oct-12 02:47 PM | edited Sat 13-Oct-12 02:50 PM by ajdooley
This has been an interesting thread. Prices are determined only by two factors that count: what is the seller willing to sell for and what is the buyer willing to pay. I have bought items here on Nikonians and salient characteristics of these transactions have been precise descriptions and reasonable prices. This is not EBay, where there are large and small dealers, occasionally masquerading as individuals, and where most people are frankly trying to make a buck. Nor is it Craig's List, where you may occasionally get fleeced or buy stolen goods. Here we have two happy people. Bravo!!! This sale does not establish a new price for me. I would not sell either of my D700s for this price now -- not because it is a fair or unfair price -- just because I use them both virtually every day and they serve me well. But that's me. I sincerely hope both Ernesto and Lee are satisfied with their new D800 and D700 cameras -- and I suspect they are!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

See my portfolio.

leebaylin

848 posts

#20. "RE: Nikon D700 - REDUCED - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 24-Oct-12 12:32 PM
Ernesto,

The D700 arrived today in excellent condition, perfectly packed and exactly on time. thanks.

Lee Baylin

G