Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS I Want to Sell topic #105546
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Forum housekeeping question" Previous topic | Next topic
RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sun 19-Aug-12 03:01 PM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Forum housekeeping question"
Sat 25-Aug-12 04:26 AM by RockyIII

Raleigh, US

There are over 26,000 for sale posts in this forum dating back to 2002. The "sold" area helps remove some clutter, but have the moderators considered adding another area where they can move older posts that are never marked sold or updated after a certain length of time like 90 days, perhaps naming it "expired" or something similar?

Rocky

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Sun 19-Aug-12 11:25 PM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 0

Warsaw, US

I agree.

Wayne

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

vpasq Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2008Sun 19-Aug-12 11:28 PM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 1

Chesapeake, US

Without hesitation - I AGREE!! It would make it so much easier to view the "active" posts.

cameraniac Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2007Mon 20-Aug-12 01:41 AM
513 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 20-Aug-12 01:42 AM by cameraniac

Chiefland, US

How about "deleted" after ninety days? If an item is still for sale after that time, the seller can make another post. Just a thought...

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Mon 20-Aug-12 01:59 AM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 3

Raleigh, US

Deletion of old posts would be my first choice as well, but I thought I would suggest something less drastic.

Rocky

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Mon 20-Aug-12 10:56 AM
851 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 4

Monroe, US

I also agree. That is a great idea.

paul_7e Silver Member Charter MemberMon 20-Aug-12 12:47 PM
301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 5

US

That's a great idea. Deletion after 90 days "inactive" would be my first choice.

Paul

ftchmup Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2008Mon 20-Aug-12 01:17 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Many sites are able to "edit" the sale post and title. Then change the title and subject to either change price and description and/or mark it SOLD in the title.

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Mon 20-Aug-12 03:23 PM
4390 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 6

El Segundo (Los Angeles), US

Hi all.

Quite agree. Delete inactive posts after 90 days.

JIM

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Mon 20-Aug-12 03:29 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

I quite agree. I remember not long ago we had a new member responding to posts dating back as much as 6 years ago! Yeah, clean it up please!

George

Tippi Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2003Mon 20-Aug-12 04:51 PM
171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

It would make searching easier. But I think they do not need to delete things because sometimes you are searching for prices to get an idea of what it goes for, beyond Ebay where things can get really high and unreasonable.

But I agree, we need it divided into 'old' and recent.

ts

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Mon 20-Aug-12 06:34 PM
585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 0

Portland, US

Likewise. Delete after 90 days.

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Mon 20-Aug-12 07:01 PM
775 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Agree!

My preference would be to auto-delete after 90 days, active or not! Has anyone ever sold anything that has been listed as long as 90 days?

Pete

wh_auden Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2008Mon 20-Aug-12 08:24 PM
487 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 0

Basking Ridge, US

Also in agreement to delete after 90 days.

wh_auden

In The Middle Of Difficulty, Lies Opportunity

tfeazel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2004Mon 20-Aug-12 09:35 PM
428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 12

Polk City, US

Ditto 90 days

Tom

rwwright Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2003Mon 20-Aug-12 11:05 PM
594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 0

Fairview, TX, US

how about mark them at 90 days and delete after a year to allow looking back at prices.

My Gallery

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Tue 21-Aug-12 05:15 AM
9498 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

Great idea all! I just became one of the Mods on the for sale forum a few months ago and have been trying to catch up as this forum has tons of posts. On the old system we could archive but I'm not sure we can on the new system I will look into to it and see if there is a way to do this. If we can and the team approves we need to see what time frame it seems 90 days is the general idea.

Give me some time to ask and see what we can do.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Tue 21-Aug-12 02:55 PM
775 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 16

San Jose, US

Thanks Jim.

Pete

2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Tue 21-Aug-12 08:05 PM
852 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 21-Aug-12 08:08 PM by 2pixels_short

Anchorage, US

I'd be happy if people would mark their item SOLD as the forum rules outline rather than just edit the title.

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Wed 22-Aug-12 04:26 PM
#19. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 16

Raleigh, US

Thanks for looking into it, Jim.

Rocky

cameraniac Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2007Wed 22-Aug-12 09:42 PM
513 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 18
Wed 22-Aug-12 09:44 PM by cameraniac

Chiefland, US

>I'd be happy if people would mark their item SOLD as the
>forum rules outline rather than just edit the title.
>
>Mike in Alaska

Right on.....

dwiggins Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Sep 2007Fri 24-Aug-12 06:31 PM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 24-Aug-12 06:31 PM by dwiggins

Minneapolis, US

I look at old posts all the time to get a feel for going rates and prices. I like the idea of "inactive" forum - it would allow people to search thru those to see if someone might still be interested in selling. Just a thought.

DWiggins - Minneapolis Nikoner
D3 (New) D300, D40, 18-200VR, 28-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8VR, 70-300VR, 300 2.8AFS VR, 105 2.8VR, 50 1.4D, 28 2.8D, SB600x2

Always looking to upgrade, just ask my ex-wife.

Visit my SmugMug galleries.

DesertLefty Registered since 03rd Mar 2010Sun 26-Aug-12 11:24 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 21
Sun 26-Aug-12 11:27 PM by DesertLefty

Sacramento, US

>I look at old posts all the time to get a feel for going
>rates and prices.

I also find the old listings to be a valuable reference, not just for prices but also to get ideas for my next gear purchase or to research an obscure lens or accessory.

Please DON'T delete them.

Lefty

P.S. It would be very nice if the FS system could be updated to allow edits to the original posting. This is a big shortcoming on Nikonians. Edits are needed to reflect changes in status, price, and additional information that was overlooked at the time of the original posting. (They're also very handy for people like me who can't seem to get the wording exactly right the first time...)

reuben Moderator Landscape and Sports in depth expertise Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Nikonian since 21st Jan 2004Sun 26-Aug-12 11:28 PM
10406 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 22

Mayo, US

You can edit your original post for a certain amount of time - I think it's 24 hours, which should be quite sufficient. After that, you can simply add a reply with the updated information regarding items sold, updated prices, etc.

Simplify

Cormorants

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Mon 03-Sep-12 04:43 AM
#24. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

It looks like a new "I Want to sell Archive" area has been created and some posts moved. Hopefully many more will be moved soon.

Thanks,

Rocky

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Wed 05-Sep-12 01:16 PM
2252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 22

Apex, US

I'm coming to this thread a little late, but I agree with the posters that are asking to not delete, but archive the older inactive posts. I have used old posts in this forum many times to get a feel for an asking price for something that I wanted to sell or an offering price for something I wanted to buy.

In fact, it would be really useful if along with marking something as sold, there were fields where the original asking price and the actual selling prices could be recorded (optionally of course). That would provide useful data for people researching the purchase or sale of a used item here or elsewhere on the Internet.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Wed 05-Sep-12 01:54 PM
#26. "RE: Forum housekeeping question"
In response to Reply # 25

Raleigh, US

Good idea, Danny. eBay works well for that if you limit your search to sold items only.

Rocky

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS I Want to Sell topic #105546 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.