Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10015
View in threaded mode

Subject: "RAW and JPG images in View NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 14-Feb-13 11:20 PM
683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RAW and JPG images in View NX2"
Fri 15-Feb-13 02:54 AM by M_Jackson

Jackson, US

Quick question...If you shot a card of RAW + JPG and opened them in View NX2, do the images look essentially the same? I realize there might be differences in bit-depth, but if in-camera settings are being applied to both, it seems they would look very close.

M. Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Fri 15-Feb-13 02:03 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: RAW and JPG images in View NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

US

They should be either identical or virtually identical. That is the "magic" of CaptureNX2 and the main reason a lot of people use it, with all its various warts .

In fact, by default ViewNX displays a medium quality JPG embedded in the raw file. It does NOT render the image from the raw data.

You can change that behavior by clicking View|Viewer|Display Raw Image on the app menu. Change it back to the default by clicking the Display Preview option.

You may not want to do that because the browsing performance will be significantly degraded as you move from image to image.

Nikon Capture NX2 and View NX2 renders raw images from the camera shooting settings. The rendering should be essentially identical to the JPGs created in camera.

my Nikonians gallery.

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 15-Feb-13 04:22 PM
683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: RAW and JPG images in View NX2"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 15-Feb-13 04:25 PM by M_Jackson

Jackson, US

Thanks Neil,
I was planning on switching to Raw + Jpg today for at least a few shots so I could compare for myself. I'll still do it, but your response backs up what I was telling a friend a couple of days ago. I like the option of seeing the capture in View NX2, even if I opt to later process through the Adobe software. I will at least have the option of using the better version for a TIF or PSD file. Adobe throws out all in camera adjustments like Active D-Lighting, so I quit shooting that way in the field a while back. Maybe it is a viable option now.

Currently, I am only using ViewNX2 to quickly cull my daily shoots. The intial JPG seems to be good for that process.

Best regards,
M. Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 15-Feb-13 11:10 PM
#3. "RE: RAW and JPG images in View NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

Jackson, US

I shot a few Raw + Jpg images today. After letting View process the Raw files, they are very similar. The Raw files are have more contrast and clip both ends of the histogram slightly, even though they weren't clipped in the JPG image. I know I can still adjust the clipping with the sliders. Still, without toggling back and forth between pairs of images, I think most people would say they are the same.

Thanks again,
M. Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sat 16-Feb-13 05:41 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: RAW and JPG images in View NX2"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Interesting that the contrast was slightly different.

my Nikonians gallery.

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 17-Feb-13 02:17 PM
#5. "RE: RAW and JPG images in View NX2"
In response to Reply # 4

Jackson, US

Neil,
Please try one or two on your system and let me know if it does the same. I might have a preference set that is causing it to spread the histrogram past both ends slightly.

Thanks,
M. Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 17-Feb-13 11:22 PM
#6. "RE: RAW and JPG images in View NX2"
In response to Reply # 5

Jackson, US

I see the problem with the earlier test. I was doing a screen grab and layering them over a JPG layer. The screen grab had some extra blacks and whites around the image, so that skewed the histogram.

After I put a TIF created within ViewNX2 in a layer with the JPG created by the JPG image in camera, the two layers were essentially identical, along with the histogram on each layer.

Thanks Neil for your help,
Mike Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Mon 18-Feb-13 09:00 AM
#7. "RE: RAW and JPG images in View NX2"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Glad to hear we got all the differences sorted out. I guess, once again, Capture prevails, at least in terms of consistency!

my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10015 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.