nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8903
View in threaded mode

Subject: "CNX2 producing strange artifact" Previous topic | Next topic
four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 11-Jun-12 05:36 PM
1611 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CNX2 producing strange artifact"

US

Every once in a while, while editing .NEFs in Capture NX2, I end up with a strange artifact in the image.

It doesn't show up until after I save the image. I can reload the image and delete any one step, and the gray box goes away. I can then re-do the deleted step and save the image without the gray box.

But it's a pain in the butt to deal with since they don't show up until I save the image and start editing in another program. I need to go -back- to CNX2 to correct it.

Anyone have a clue?

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Nikon FM2n, Nikon P7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 20/AF-D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28/2.8 AF-D, Sigma 28/2.8 Mini-Wide II, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 11-Jun-12 09:18 PM
13297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: CNX2 producing strange artifact"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I am going to guess that this is a video card problem as it appears like an area of the display that did not clear properly. Try looking for a driver update for your card. I have never seen anything like this in CNX2.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Mon 11-Jun-12 09:21 PM
866 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: CNX2 producing strange artifact"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

Box for embedding title or copyright info, metadata entry? I wouldn't know for sure as I'm trying to find out how to embed copyright info on an image.

Ken
Seattle, WA

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 11-Jun-12 10:33 PM
6242 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: CNX2 producing strange artifact"
In response to Reply # 2

Tacoma, US

No, CNX doesn't use such a dialog boxes for metadata.

I have see something similar to this occasionally when using the High Pass Filter. Generally, if it happens, you need to save the image w/o a High Pass edit step. Close CNX and then restart and reload the iamge.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 12-Jun-12 02:21 PM
8917 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: CNX2 producing strange artifact"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I've run into the same issue. I am seeing the artifact in Capture and it is carried into View. I have to reprocess the image creating a new embedded JPEG to make it go away.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Wed 27-Jun-12 02:53 AM
1611 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: CNX2 producing strange artifact"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Well, I finally heard back from Nikon.

They had never seen or heard of the problem, so their suggestion is to uninstall and reinstall CNX2.

I guess I'll see how that works.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Nikon FM2n, Nikon P7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 20/AF-D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28/2.8 AF-D, Sigma 28/2.8 Mini-Wide II, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

KolinP Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 13th May 2006Thu 28-Jun-12 01:31 AM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: CNX2 producing strange artifact"
In response to Reply # 5

Weston-super-Mare, UK

Thanks for bringing us that reply from Nikon four eighty sparks.

It's extremely disappointing that they claim never to have seen this!!

I've had these blobs appear many times during my CNX2 editing, and it's clear that others here on Nikonians have also seen them ... so my optimistic assumption that "Nikon will soon fix this common flaw ..." has been stupidly naive. GGGrrrrr!!!!

> (....) so their suggestion is to uninstall and reinstall CNX2.

That response from Nikon IMHO is a technically limp, weak and (for most of us) futile non-answer!!! How really sad.

I love my Nikon and I love what I can do with my photos in CNX2 - and yes I'll admit I'm reacting a bit OTT to Nikon's reply to you (I'm having an iffy day today!!!) - but how much better it would have been if Nikon had replied with a simple acknowledgement and a "thank you, we will investigate this thoroughly and we'll aim to cure it soon ..."???

(/rant)

Colin P.

--
Staying busy is easy. Setting priorities is harder!
A doorway to my other photo sites

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Tue 10-Jul-12 09:41 PM
1344 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: CNX2 producing strange artifact"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 10-Jul-12 09:43 PM by russg

Phoenix, US

I experience this phenomenon occasionally, and it is definitely related to the use of the high-pass filter. When it happens, I simply re-open the nef file in CNX2, delete the high-pass edit step, re-apply the high-pass edit step and then re-save the file. Works every time. I've not found it necessary to save the file without the high-pass edit step or close and re-start the application.

Russ

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 12-Jul-12 03:52 PM
8917 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: CNX2 producing strange artifact"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I had the same problem occur today and have also opened a ticket with Nikon Technical Support. A screenshot of the problem is attached here. The artifact was created in Capture NX2. It was small and unexpected so the artifact remained when I copied the NEF into another folder using the Save As command. The artifact remained when I did another Save As and created a JPEG.

I was able to go back to the original file, open it, and make a small adjustment and then Save it - and the artifact disappeared.

My case number is 120712-000808 just in case somebody at Nikon says they have never heard of this before.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8903 Previous topic | Next topic