Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9085
View in threaded mode

Subject: "I've had It With Nikon Software" Previous topic | Next topic
gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Fri 03-Aug-12 02:22 AM
2751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I've had It With Nikon Software"

Aliso Viejo, US

I've been a huge supporter of Nikon cameras for 40 years and have also recommended NX2 many times. But I'm done. It is ####. It crashes all the time, takes forever to load images, if they load at all, and then won't restart after it crashes. Nikon should be ashamed of themselves and they owe me my money back. Am I pissed, yes. I'll stick with Lightroom.

Hecky

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 03-Aug-12 03:10 AM
5962 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Hecky,

Sorry you are experiencing those problems, but they are not universal. I run CNX 2.3.2 64-bit in Windows 7 daily, and it is 99% trouble free for me.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Fri 03-Aug-12 03:26 AM
2751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 1

Aliso Viejo, US

It used to be for me also. Then View NX started acting up and now NX2. Both have had the latest updates and have been reloaded several times to see if that would fix it. I have a very fast computer running Windows 7 Ultimate and all other software runs perfect included CS5 and LR4. It just started doing this a few months ago and now it's not even usable. I used to be like you and now I'm one of them. I wouldn't care if it was $50 but anything priced like NX2 should run. I'll try to reload it again but that's it.

Hecky

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Fri 03-Aug-12 03:57 AM
#3. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 2

Aliso Viejo, US

Well I reloaded everything including the updates for NX and it seems to be running OK. I also reloaded ViewNX2 again but it just won't run right so who knows. I hate to be a whiner but I just had it with Nikon software. I'll give it another try though. Thanks for responding.

Hecky

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 03-Aug-12 05:04 AM
12817 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 3

San Jose, US

Hecky we all get a bit mad at our computers from time to time. I am running a Win 7 Pro 64 bit machine too. I have an Intel i7 2600K processor, 16 GB of RAM and an XFX Radeon 6970 video card, all this mounted on an ASUS motherboard. I use both SATA 3 and SATA 2 internal drives and also have a Network attached drive and both USB3 and USB2 externals. I use a Wacom Intros 4 tablet and even with all this stuff and many many windows programs, my VNX2 and CNX2 run flawlessly in 64 bit mode. My images open quickly and I like Mik have been pretty much bug free since the 64 bit version came out. Perhaps it is something else on your computer that is conflicting with the Nikon Stuff. The fact that reinstalling seems to have fixed your problem makes that even more of a likelihood. I run Norton for my security system and use Diskeeper as my defragger. I am also using two backup programs Acronis and Retrospect for automatic backups. I also run Photoshop CS6 Extended and the rest of the programs in the CS6 Production Premium Suite. I am running my video card in conjunction with on board graphics using VIRTU that does an auto switch as needed and that usually gives some programs fits and the only program that had a problem with that until I made a simple change was Adobe Premier Pro CS6. If everything else on your computer is working without problem you may want to tell Nikon what you have running and see if they know of any conflicts. While I don't use LR it seems like I have seen some problems posted about it, so just changing SW may not really be a solution either. I hope you figure out what your problem could be.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

TFCJRMD Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2009Fri 03-Aug-12 01:55 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 0

Bowling Green, US

I certainly agree with Bob. It sounds as if your problem is machine oriented. I have run it on several rigs which I have assembled without any problems over the last6 years. I cannot recall the last time it crashed. Loading time even for D800 NEF files are nearly instantaneous.
Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz LGA 2011
Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
ASUS Rampage IV Formula LGA 2011 Intel X79
Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 (x2) SLI
Thermaltake PSU TP-1000M 1000W ATX
Crucial Real SSD C300 256GB SATA III x2
WD Caviar Black 1 TB 7.5K 1001FALS SATA II
Samsung 12x BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM SATA Internal Blu –ray Combo Model SH-B123L/RSBP
Planar PX2611W 26" Widescreen LCD Monitor
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Logitech G9X Laser Mouse

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 03-Aug-12 05:55 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 03-Aug-12 05:56 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Much more information might be helpful.

I would also look at cleaning up and defragmenting your hard drive. Empty your systems trash can. Then check that you have your computer OS fully updated and update your Nikon software. You might want to check and adjust your systems virtual memory.

What brand of computer?
What processor model, clock speed, and how many cores are you using?
What OS are you running?
What is the amount of RAM memory installed?
What size is your virtual memory set at?
What is the amount of free disk space that you have?

George
My Nikonian Galleries

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Fri 03-Aug-12 06:20 PM
#7. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 6

Aliso Viejo, US

Thank you everyone. I understand it could be my computer but I haven't made any changes lately except for regular Windows updates. This time NX2 loaded OK and is running fast and properly. However, View NX2 won't run properly. While I can use Bridge or NX2 to browse images I kind of like View to do that so we'll see.

Hecky

ctdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Fri 03-Aug-12 08:31 PM
181 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri 03-Aug-12 08:33 PM by ctdrummer

Southern CT, US

Hi Hecky,

My laptop, 64 bit Windows 7, 12G runs great. Do you know how much memory is in your machine?

Good luck!

Pat

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Fri 03-Aug-12 10:02 PM
#9. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 8

Aliso Viejo, US

8 gig's of fast Corsair, i5 clocked to 4Ghz, GeForce GTS450. Even with my largest files or large batch processes I haven't come close to using more that 4 gigs of memory. Thank you though.

Hecky

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 04-Aug-12 12:11 AM
12817 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 5

San Jose, US

Nice Rig!!!

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 04-Aug-12 12:20 AM
#11. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 7

San Jose, US

Hecky have you removed all traces of your old VNX2 and VNX installs? Nikon has a tool for doing this. You may have some crud left in your Registry that is causing conflicts. What is happening with VNX2 to make you say it is not running properly? Does the built in Transfer program work? Are the files loading slow? I too use VNX2 to browse my images before I move them to CNX2. I am running CEP 3.0 and have installed the patch to work with CNX2 64 bit. Again no issues.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Sat 04-Aug-12 01:04 AM
#12. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 11
Sat 04-Aug-12 01:04 AM by gheck58

Aliso Viejo, US

Thanks Bob I'll check that out. It's not really what it does it's what it doesn't do. You can click on a file to open it up and the images will take forever to open or not open at all. Then it will crash and not allow you to close the program unless you shut the program down in Task Manager. Then even when you do that, it will still be running in Processes and you have to shut that down. This happened on both View and Capture. But so far Capture NX2 is OK again. And it is running fine on my 64 bit laptop.

Hecky

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 04-Aug-12 05:04 AM
#13. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 12

San Jose, US

Definitely stuff that should not be happening. Clearly the program is corrupt. I am sure the Nikon registry sweeper will do the trick.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Sat 04-Aug-12 05:24 PM
#14. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 13

Aliso Viejo, US

Hey Bob, I looked around for the Nikon Registry Sweeper and can't find it. I see Nikon Rumors had a message about it but it's no longer on the European site and not on the USA site. Do you know where to find it?

Thank You

Hecky

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sat 04-Aug-12 07:05 PM
10915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You might try downloading Microsoft's Process Explorer program. It's part of the old Sysinternal suite of tools. This link runs it from their cloud, which I've never used.

I'm old school so I just download the apps here . Put them in a folder and just click the app in explorer. You may need to add the folder to the user or system path although I think procexp.exe may not need it unless you want to access the help. Or you can drop what you need into d:\windows or some other folder that is always in the path (after a suitable battle with UAC of course).

You want to fire up ViewNX and then open up Process Explorer, looking at the (I suspect rather long) list of DLL's and other objects that ViewNX is loading. You're looking for something that "doesn't look right", either an old file date or especially something loaded from a folder that you wouldn't expect ViewNX to be looking at.

Years ago I had a problem with this, related to Nikon DLLs, and was able to diagnose it this way. The problem may not be Nikon at all, but some other app that is colliding with it by installing its own versions of Nikon's DLLs. Or an incomplete uninstall of some prior Nikon app version. Or some such related thing.

(I had something like 4 different versions of Nikon's DLLs on my machine, related to old Nikon versions, other apps, etc. It was a mess)

This is a good practice to diagnose any misbehaving app, not just Nikon's. Job #1 is to confirm the app is loading the right version of everything.

The registry cleanup is a good idea too, but this may fix the problem and if it is the problem then registry cleaning may not help. Unless the registry has some old obsolete path, for example, in which case Process Explorer would show you the symptom but not the cure

my Nikonians gallery.

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Sat 04-Aug-12 08:17 PM
#16. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 15
Sun 05-Aug-12 06:20 AM by gheck58

Aliso Viejo, US

Thank You Neil. I ran CCleaner and cleaned a lot of stuff up and then reloaded View NX2 but it still locks up and crashes. I'm done. I'm sure glad my cameras and lenses work better then their software.

Hecky

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Sat 04-Aug-12 11:55 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 16

Kleinburg, CA

>I'm sure glad my cameras and lenses work better
>then their software.

There's the key -- Nikon is an optics company, not a software company.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

pshnikchch Silver Member Nikonian since 16th May 2007Sun 05-Aug-12 01:05 AM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 9

Christchurch, NZ

Hecky.

Sorry to hear of your plight.

I'm one of the users who have experienced only a few minor and short term problems with Nikon software, on either platform.

Have you checked the integrity of your hard drives and RAM?

Also, wondering if returning the CPU to its standard speed would make any difference.

Worth a go?

Good luck.

Peter

http://www.pastoralsystems.co.nz/photography/

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 05-Aug-12 01:53 AM
#19. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 14
Sun 05-Aug-12 01:54 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

As I recall you need to ask Nikon Support for the link, but I don't see it on their site now .I thought I had a copy to send you but I can't find it. So I did a search -Try this link:

http://nikon.kheaz.com/2011/06/regsweeper-by-nikon.html

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sun 05-Aug-12 11:54 AM
10915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 16

US

>Thank You Neil. I ran CCleaner and cleaned a lot of stuff up
>and then reloaded View NX2 but it still locks up and crashes.
>I'm done. I'm sure glad my cameras and lenses work better
>then their software.

You really should have taken a look at things with Process Explorer before throwing in the towel...

my Nikonians gallery.

Leatham Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2012Sun 05-Aug-12 01:20 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 0

Table Top, AU

Try something else. I use DxO Version 7.2 on a very old Mac with no problems. The defaults are excellent and it took very little time to learn. I use Graphic Converter for final sharpening and cropping.

ctdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Sun 05-Aug-12 06:14 PM
181 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 20

Southern CT, US

>Years ago I had a problem with this, related to Nikon DLLs, and was able to diagnose it this way. The problem may not be Nikon at all, but some other app that is colliding with it by installing its own versions of Nikon's DLLs. Or an incomplete uninstall of some prior Nikon app version. Or some such related thing.

I'll bet you're exactly right as this is a common issue with a lot of software. There are common utilities that are shared among programs. Some software installations will load and older or newer versions which may cause compatibility problems with the software apps that use them.

Does anyone know what programming language ViewNX and CaptureNX is written in?

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 05-Aug-12 07:28 PM
#23. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 22

San Jose, US

It is written in Visual C++ and in fact if you don't have the proper Visual C++ redistributables loaded in your system, it WILL affect performance.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

TFCJRMD Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2009Mon 06-Aug-12 12:46 AM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 21

Bowling Green, US

Why try something else when all you need is a good rig?

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Mon 06-Aug-12 03:07 PM
#25. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 24
Mon 06-Aug-12 03:09 PM by gheck58

Aliso Viejo, US

Thanks again Neil. I am going to have my IT guy work with me today on your suggestions. I actually like what Nikon's software does (Capture NX2) but I do most everything in LR4 now. The profiles are pretty hard to distinguish from Nikon's and everything is way faster, especially batch processing. But I do like using View as a browser so I'm going to try and make it work. As to the previous post, I don't have a "rig" problem but I appreciate your comment.

Hecky

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Mon 06-Aug-12 04:19 PM
#26. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 25

US

Hi Vecky,

I use PhotoMechanic for most of my browsing but I find ViewNX very helpful for no other reason than that it gives access to certain maker notes that other browsers can't deal with. I'm thinking about focus distance and the focus point. So I consider it "worth salvaging".

It's a good browser but I bought PM years ago when the old View was not such a good browser and got accustomed to living the high life on the browser front .

Let us know how it turns out. My suspicion is that if it won't run then it is most likely referencing one or more wrong DLLs.

If you play around with Process Explorer you will learn a lot about how Windows apps are "put together" in terms of their modular structure that is so reliant on all this DLL versioning. Plus many other interesting and entertaining things that Task Manager won't show you . I always thought Microsoft should have integrated that into Task Manager as some sort of "Advanced" display off of the Processes tab.

I'll close by suggesting that the internet is full of people complaining about how their registry cleaners hosed their OS build ups or certain apps. Most of what they remove is unintelligible hex keys so it's hard to look over their shoulders.

I think it's better to use tools like Process Explorer to find a problem like this and use reg cleaners only as a final "Hail Mary Pass" when all else fails. I've kept OS builds going for up to 5 years without ever using them. But I use tools to revert the OS partition back to some known working state when I have a problem (and problems do always happen from time to time). Something like Acronis but I use a somewhat higher end app called ShadowProtect.

my Nikonians gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 07-Aug-12 03:21 AM
#27. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 25

San Jose, US

Wer you not able to use the link to the Nikon regsweeper that I sent you? One other choice is for your IT guy to just go into the Registry and search for all VNX, VNX2 references and delete them and then reload VNX2. I have used that brute force methods sometimes to get rid of pesky programs that snuck on my computer uninvited and would not actually get deleted when I uninstalled them with Windows tools.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Tue 07-Aug-12 04:09 AM
#28. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 27
Tue 07-Aug-12 04:09 AM by gheck58

Aliso Viejo, US

Bob,

That link to Nikon Rumors and then to the Nikon Reg Cleaner said it was no longer available. I would like to try Neil's suggestion also but I'm not hat software savvy. I'm in the electronics business an know the hardware backward and forward but not the software side. I'll have my IT guy try that and get back to you all. It's funny that Capture NX2 runs fine now but not View.

Oh, I was going to ask. Do you think having two NEF Codec's (Ardfry Imaging and Nikon's) would have any effect? Again neither Capture, LR, or CS5 are problematic. Only View.

Hecky

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 07-Aug-12 12:58 PM
#29. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 28

US

>> Do you think having two NEF Codec's (Ardfry Imaging and Nikon's) would have any effect?

That is called "intentionally creating DLL havoc"

Think about it. A NEF codec is an interface between image files and various apps that are displaying files to you. It is all done behind the scenes- you don't pick which codec you want to use each time your app displays an image.

You need to make that choice in terms of which (ONE)codec you run. You should only have one installed.

I use iMatch, which is an image cataloging app that is heavily reliant on these WIC codecs. I have seen iMatch problem reports similar to yours, and then resolved by uninstalling BOTH codecs. You should reboot in between uninstalls, just to make sure they are cleanly uninstalled.

I've bounced between the Nikon and FastPictureViewer codecs, trying to optimize my iMatch performance and resolve a strange bug iMatch seems to have with FPV, but I always uninstalled and rebooted in between installs. Never had both live at once. I'm not familiar at all with the codec you use.

Although CaptureNX and ViewNX may both use Codecs, they use them differently. Capture probably only uses codecs to show you the film strip thumbnails. ViewNX is likely using the Codecs to display the full size embedded JPG image - unless you configure it to always render NEFS, in which case it would act more like CaptureNX (and performs more like it too in that mode!).

Thinking about it, Nikon's apps may not use the WIC codecs at all - as I recall they run fine without installing it (Nikon's). But you should only have one installed and since you are having problems this is a good problem solving procedure just to eliminate this possibility.

I suspect Process Explorer will not help you with any codec problems because that runs through the Microsoft WIC dll (WindowsCodecs.dll). Having never delved into the innards of the WIC codec structure I'm not sure what else might show up in Process Explorer to point out some sort of codec collision (especially from running 2 different versions at once, as you are doing now).

my Nikonians gallery.

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Tue 07-Aug-12 03:25 PM
#30. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 29

Aliso Viejo, US

Thank you again Neil, I'll uninstall one when I get home this evening. I have been using the additional Ardfry Imaging Codec so I can display the NEF thumbnails in Windows. Then, are you saying that I don't need either? Does Capture NX2 or View NX2 have the Nikon Codec built in or do I need to at least have the separate Nikon Codec installed?

Hecky

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 07-Aug-12 06:28 PM
#32. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 30

US

Hi Hecky,

You should uninstall BOTH codecs, re-booting in between uninstalls. Then re-boot AGAIN after uninstalling the second one.

DO NOT uninstall just one, and DO NOT uninstall both without re-booting in between. Trust me on this.

When I researched codecs I ran into discussions involving people having issues because they did not uninstall both, or short cut the process by skipping the interim re-boot. When they finally did it "right", as I suggest here, their problems generally went away. I think this was mostly issues with iMatch but any app that uses them would have similar problems with "ghosts" left behind.

The double uninstall with boots between "jobs" prevents errant objects from getting "stuck" in Windows because they were locked by something. And codecs are "automatically" locked solid by Windows. The idea is to do everything reasonable to make sure you are fully cleansed of both codecs before re-installing the codec of your choice.

I really can't recall if Nikon apps need the codec installed separately and on a quick look do not see it listed as a requirement. If the thumbnails on the light table displays don't properly show the image thumbnail then you need it.

The codecs are mainly used by Windows built in apps. Windows Explorer, Media Viewer, etc., use them to display proper NEF thumbnails.

Some apps, like iMatch, have also used them. With iMatch it is optional but highly recommended by the developer (long story not important here).

The main advantage of a 3rd party codec pack is that you take care of all the major camera maker's codecs in one shot. Otherwise you would have to download and keep current Nikon's, Canon's, Sony's, etc. One stop shopping if you have the need.

A *possible* secondary advantage is that some codecs claim to be faster and more efficient, or users make that claim, which is why I tried FPV. I have some performance issues with iMatch that I wouldn't mind mitigating although I don't think FPV really helped in my case.

There might be other subtle benefits. But if you only want access to Nikon raw files then it is not clear to me what *obvious* benefits you get from a 3rd party codec. I have not had any problems with ViewNX2 or CaptureNX2 using FPV but I have no experience at all with your codec.

I know I'm raising more questions than answers but I guess I'm trying to say that it shouldn't hurt to stick with Nikon's codec unless you have a very well defined and compelling reason. And in your case, having problems with Nikon's apps, if it were me I would first do the clean uninstall and then install Nikon's codec, just to make 100.0000% sure that your 3rd party codec is not the problem.

Also make sure you have current versions of whatever you install. The WIC codec concept is fairly new so it went through the usual teething process. One advantage of Nikon's is that it is free, as well as continual updates.

my Nikonians gallery.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 08-Aug-12 12:15 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

>I've been a huge supporter of Nikon cameras for 40 years and
>have also recommended NX2 many times. But I'm done. It is
>####. It crashes all the time, takes forever to load images,

I enjoyed Capture NX2 for a couple years but then grew tired of the bugs and aging interface and lack of innovation in new versions. The software is indeed buggy. I have well administered computers and found NX2 to do annoying things more times than desirable. I switched from CNX2 plus Photo Mechanic to Lightroom and haven't looked back. You may find this too is a good move.

Peter

My gallery (a work in progress): http://peterstokes.net/Exhibit

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 08-Aug-12 12:41 AM
4682 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 33

New York, US

Ditto Peter. Lightroom has surpassed CNX2 in function, and I can develop an image faster and more accurately in LR. I still use PM after large shoots, for initial editing, sorting, and key wording.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Wed 08-Aug-12 01:47 AM
#35. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 34
Wed 08-Aug-12 02:29 AM by gheck58

Aliso Viejo, US

Thank you Peter and Jon. yes I love LR4, I hardly use NX2 anymore but I do like the Black and White profile there much better than anything LR4 has or CS5. But I'll be getting Silver Efex Pro 2 soon so that's mute too.

Well Neil, I did exactly as you said. I had to re-install the Nikon Codec as RAW images wouldn't display in NX2. Then I re-installed View and it still does the same thing. The program will open but when you go to open a file of images, it just says it's Processing and they never open. I really appreciate your help but I'm done with it. I'll probably try the Photo Mechanic idea or wait until I get CS6 and see how Bridge works there.

Thank You All.

Hecky

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 08-Aug-12 02:15 AM
5962 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 35

Tacoma, US

PM is a great image browser/file manager/metadata editor. I highly recommend it. It also doesn't tie you to one image editing app.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 08-Aug-12 04:07 AM
#37. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 35

US

Sorry it didn't work out. But there are worse things in life than being forced into PhotoMechanic . It's a great app.

my Nikonians gallery.

JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter MemberWed 08-Aug-12 10:42 AM
907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 34

Frederick, US

Jon,
Does LR recognize keywords that were applied in PM?

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 08-Aug-12 10:51 AM
4682 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 38

New York, US

Yup.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Lighter Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2012Fri 10-Aug-12 02:52 AM
1066 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 10-Aug-12 02:55 AM by Lighter

Calcutta, IN

Looks like a case of conflict!
Here is my two cents, you can give it a try and see if it helps-
there is one free software: Revo Uninstaller. Download and install it. Now Run Revo. Choose either VNX2 or CNX2 from the list and hit "yes" to uninstall. Now Click "Advance" mode. This will make Revo search for all the related registry entries for that software uninstalled in every nook and corner of your system. Once you get a list, just review it to make sure and then Select All> Delete. Go to the next step and do the same for all related folders and files. Repeat this process for any other software you want to get rid off. Restart the PC, and try to make a fresh install of CNX2...

Hope this helps.

http://500px.com/sriroyc
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sroyc/
My gear: D90, AF-S 300 f4, AF-S 18-55 VR, Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Macro

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Fri 10-Aug-12 03:09 PM
#41. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 40

Aliso Viejo, US

Thank you I will probably try that but I'm traveling so I let you know in a week or so.

Hecky

Lighter Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2012Sat 11-Aug-12 02:01 AM
1066 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#42. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 41

Calcutta, IN

>Thank you I will probably try that but I'm traveling so I let
>you know in a week or so.

You're welcome

http://500px.com/sriroyc
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sroyc/
My gear: D90, AF-S 300 f4, AF-S 18-55 VR, Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Macro

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 13-Aug-12 05:01 AM
#43. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 40

San Jose, US

I second the Revo recommendation, a great piece of free SW.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Thu 16-Aug-12 12:42 AM
#44. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 43

Aliso Viejo, US

Well I did everything everyone has suggested including the Revo Uninstaller and downloading the latest View NX2 version and is still does the same thing. Thank you all.

Hecky

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 26-Aug-12 03:12 PM
4277 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#45. "RE: I've had It With Nikon Software"
In response to Reply # 44

Alberta, CA

I'm a Mac guy and I corrupted my Capture NX2 software (my bad, I installed some incompatible speed RAM and then crashed the program while in use for some intense editing). I corrupted something on my hard-drive in so doing.

In the Mac world I came across a solution that ultimately worked but was pretty severe. I had to create a completely separate User Account on my computer and then use that for photo processing.

Eventually I converted all my other programs and data over to the new account.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9085 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.