Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9055
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Saving Different Raw Versions in NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
ornate_wrasse Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2006Fri 27-Jul-12 12:04 AM
378 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Saving Different Raw Versions in NX2"
Fri 27-Jul-12 12:59 AM by ornate_wrasse

Portland, US

I have been using Capture NX for a long time but have a question on a situation that hasn't come up before.

Typically, my workflow edits the NEF file and, after all the changes (like white balance, saturation, exposure and sharpening) are made, I save the image as a JPG and use the saved JPG for posting to forums or emailing to friends or, in this case, sharing with a class I took. In other words, I almost never save the file as a version of an NEF file.

The instructor and class loved the JPG image that I brought to class on a thumb drive, heaping tons of praise on the image.

Now it's a week later and I want to have the image blown up to a large size (16x20 or 11x14). The printer I use (I don't print my own images) wants either a NEF or TIFF file and definitely not a low res JPG file. Since I only saved the post processed image as a low resolution JPG, I'm stuck having to again edit the NEF file and save it. I can't remember each and every change I made to the NEF file and I don't think the edit steps were saved in NX2 when I made the JPG.

I'm wondering how other folks save their NEF images when making changes in NX2 that they would usually just save as a JPG.

It seems that I should know how to do this, but in my workflow, this situation just hasn't come up before, so that's why I'm asking others how they do this.

I hope I've made myself clear.

In any event, thanks for your help.

Ellen
http://www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse/galleries

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 27-Jul-12 12:44 AM
5987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Saving Different Raw Versions in NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Simply save the NEF after (or while) you make your edits. You can always revert to the original by deactivating the edit steps, or just click on the Version drop down and select "Original", however that will permanently delete your edit steps.

Better yet, make your edits, use the Version drop down to create a New Version with those steps. Then you can switch back and forth.

Versions are also a way to have the same image saved as a B&W and Color, for instance, or with different crops. Its much more space efficient than creating multiple NEF files, and easier to manage.

When I need a JPG or TIF of a particular version, simply call up that version and do a "Save As".

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

ornate_wrasse Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2006Fri 27-Jul-12 01:07 AM
378 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Saving Different Raw Versions in NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Portland, US

>Better yet, make your edits, use the Version drop down to
>create a New Version with those steps. Then you can switch
>back and forth.
>
>Versions are also a way to have the same image saved as a
>B&W and Color, for instance, or with different crops. Its
>much more space efficient than creating multiple NEF files,
>and easier to manage.

When using the Version drop down to create a new version, what do you typically use as names for the new version?

I seem to remember Mike Hagen talking about this in a Nikonians Capture NX class I took a few years ago, and how it is space efficient. Now it's all coming back to me.

Thank you!

Ellen

davidd1833 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Fri 27-Jul-12 02:42 AM
428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Saving Different Raw Versions in NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

Sydney, AU

What I do is complete my edits in CNX2, then click the 'save' button before the 'save as' button. This ensures that my edits are saved in the NEF file before I convert to jpg. I can come back to the file and continue editing, change settings in the edits, or revert to the original file if I want to.

Doing this gives you maximum benefit of the non-destructive editing of Capture NX2.

David

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 27-Jul-12 04:49 AM
5987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Saving Different Raw Versions in NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

Tacoma, US

Whatever is descriptive: crop size, BW or color, filter, or sometimes just version1, version 2...

Mick
or

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 27-Jul-12 11:27 AM
8710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Saving Different Raw Versions in NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

As others suggest, I always save the edited NEF before converting to a JPEG. It may be as simple as saving it in View NX2 for a minor edit or it may be something more involved in Capture NX2. I typically don't use versions very often. When I do it is usually for B&W conversion which involves several steps.

One tip that works for me. I take all JPEG conversions for web posting (resized and sharpened) and put them in a single folder - Web Posts. I find that I often use these images more than once, and having them quickly accessible is quite convenient. I don't share lots of images from a shoot or trip - usually 5 or less. And I do purge some of the older images into an archive. These images are typically used for my screen saver or copied to my iPad ad iPhone.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

ornate_wrasse Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2006Fri 27-Jul-12 08:53 PM
#6. "RE: Saving Different Raw Versions in NX2"
In response to Reply # 5

Portland, US

>As others suggest, I always save the edited NEF before
>converting to a JPEG.

Thanks Eric. I think that's where the problem is, i.e. I haven't been saving the edited NEF file before converting to JPEG. I will start to do that so that I don't find myself in the situation I'm in now. It's hard at my age to recreate the exact edit steps I did from memory

Ellen

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 27-Jul-12 09:04 PM
#7. "RE: Saving Different Raw Versions in NX2"
In response to Reply # 6

Tacoma, US

Just a quick note: If you edit and save as a JPG before saving the NEF, you can do another Save as, this time as a NEF and it will still be fully editable as a NEF, as long as you did not close the image after the JPG save.

Mick
or

ornate_wrasse Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2006Sat 28-Jul-12 02:57 AM
#8. "RE: Saving Different Raw Versions in NX2"
In response to Reply # 7

Portland, US

>Just a quick note: If you edit and save as a JPG before
>saving the NEF, you can do another Save as, this time as a NEF
>and it will still be fully editable as a NEF, as long as you
>did not close the image after the JPG save.

Mick,

That's good to know. Thanks for the tip.

Knowing me, since I'm in the habit of saving to a JPG, I will probably do that first and forget about saving to a NEF. I'm glad I still have the chance to do it before closing the image.

Ellen

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Sat 28-Jul-12 05:56 AM
802 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Saving Different Raw Versions in NX2"
In response to Reply # 8

Seattle, US

One thing I do is to save images being worked on in a "In Process" folder with a new name. Once all the adjustments are done then the completed image is saved in a "Processed" folder with the same name as the "In Process" folder name. This preserves the original NEF image and name in the (Lightroom 4) catalog and gives me a new file, in the "In Process" folder, to work with for creating a jpg, tiff, or whatever additional processing.

Once the image is completed and saved in the "Processed" folder for whatever venue I need (Nikonians, Cambridge in Colour, print, etc.) then it is deleted from the "In Process" folder. What's left is the original NEF in the LR4 catalog and the finished image in the "Processed" folder. If I wanted to use a new and different process I can go back to the original version located in the LR4 catalog and go through a different process and make another image. Perhaps posterized this time.

Maybe this sounds complicated but it works for me and I know I can always go back to the original.

The "Processed" folder could be further sub-divided for Nikonian submissions, Sold, Printed, Web images, etc. This would tell me what the image was for and when.

While I've looked for how the pro's do image management I've never really found anything so, like Sinatra, "I did it my way".

BTW, it doesn't make any difference which image processing software I use I can still do the same. If I use LR4 or CNX2 perhaps I could append something in the image name, or folder name, to reflect which app was used for processing. Typically I use LR4 for cataloging and CNX2 for processing.

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sat 28-Jul-12 06:58 AM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Saving Different Raw Versions in NX2"
In response to Reply # 9

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

I always save a new version of the edited NEF as eg "Master" I save the original and make sure by going to "original File save"
Maybe over the top but suits me I also save a TIFF version and if I need a jpeg convert from that TIFF.
Storage on an external HD is no problem size wise.
Leant a lesson some time ago when a sale was possible and all I had was a jpeg.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 30-Jul-12 06:12 AM
12835 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: Saving Different Raw Versions in NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I tend to be a bit paranoid about my images, so when I ingest them into my computer from the CF card I save the NEF on 2 separate drives. One location is only for an archive of the original. The other is titled Nikon Transfer and sub folders are kept for each upload. I now use VNX2 to browse and rate the images in the Transfer folders. I work on my NEFs one at a time in CNX2. and when I am finished with my edit. I save the final image in a Processed folder sorted into general category folders and sub folders. Once I save that file using CNX2. I then use the CNX2 Open With command and open the NEF as a TIFF in Photoshop CS6 Extended. If I need to do any more editing, which is rare, I edit the TIFF and save a copy of the TIFF in the same folder as the processed NEF. In either case further processed or not I save a JPEG processed as Save for Web to a Nikonians upload folder for later posting. Weekly I do a backup of all images stored on my DATA drive which includes the original NEF, the Processed NEF and any Nikonian files to another Drive called Photos. That drive is also backed up weekly to a NAS drive as a second backup so that I have 3 complete copies of my photos plus the separate archive of the original NEF that I copied over. I never worry about losing an image this way.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9055 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.