Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9928
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Sharpening in Capture Nx2" Previous topic | Next topic
doc85 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2008Thu 31-Jan-13 07:26 PM
387 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sharpening in Capture Nx2"

West Lafayette, US

I have been using CNX2 for several years, but there is so much about it I still don't understand. For instance, I recently discovered you can sharpen separate colors in "Unsharp Mask" and have been playing with choosing different colors i.e. magenta, cyan, red etc. and applying sharpening to them. I think it helps some images, but I don't have any idea how to use this feature properly. Has any one had experience with this?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 01-Feb-13 09:10 PM
8144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sharpening in Capture Nx2"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Okay - I'll give it a shot.

I normally sharpen without selecting individual colors. On occasion, with some settings I will select Luminance or Chrominance for my opacity adjustments. This can work well for contrast - and even for sharpening. The same idea can extend to an indiviual color channel. You can reduce halos and other artifacts by applying the effect to only one channel. For example, if you have a blue sky which does not need any sharpening but there is a fine detailed tree and sharpening creates some halos, you might sharpen the red channel and the green channel but not the blue channel. In practice this is pretty unusual.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

doc85 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2008Sat 02-Feb-13 02:23 PM
387 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sharpening in Capture Nx2"
In response to Reply # 1

West Lafayette, US

Thanks Eric, that makes sense. I agree it probably isn't necessary often but your remarks give me a better idea when it might be helpful.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 02-Feb-13 04:27 PM
8144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sharpening in Capture Nx2"
In response to Reply # 2

Atlanta, US

This applies to all types of sharpening - High Pass, Unsharp Mask, and Tonal Contrast. Even just applying it to contrast can make sense.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

doc85 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2008Sat 02-Feb-13 04:51 PM
#4. "RE: Sharpening in Capture Nx2"
In response to Reply # 3

West Lafayette, US

So much to learn. i need another 90 years!

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 09-Feb-13 03:06 PM
4087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Sharpening in Capture Nx2"
In response to Reply # 3

Alberta, CA

>This applies to all types of sharpening - High Pass, Unsharp
>Mask, and Tonal Contrast. Even just applying it to contrast
>can make sense.
>
>
>Eric Bowles

By "contrast" does that mean Luminance? (Thanks in advance Eric!)

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 09-Feb-13 05:10 PM
#6. "RE: Sharpening in Capture Nx2"
In response to Reply # 5

Atlanta, US

Hi Steve

In the context of this discussion, we are talking about using Luminance for sharpening instead of applying it at the same opacity level for luminance and chrominance. That effectively applies sharpening just to differences in lightness or darkness and can reduce artifacts.

When it comes to Contrast, you can treat it the same way. I'm sure you've seen situations where increasing contrast can cause colors to become too hot or too saturated. By applying contrast adjustments just to Luminance, and setting Chrominance at an opacity level of zero, you can avoid increasing saturation when you are adjusting contrast.

I find this is particularly useful for sunrises and sunsets, and in general bright reds, oranges, and yellows. I can make my blacks deeper and sharper while not blowing out bright colors.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 10-Feb-13 12:28 AM
4087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Sharpening in Capture Nx2"
In response to Reply # 6

Alberta, CA

>When it comes to Contrast, you can treat it the same way. I'm
>sure you've seen situations where increasing contrast can
>cause colors to become too hot or too saturated. By applying
>contrast adjustments just to Luminance, and setting
>Chrominance at an opacity level of zero, you can avoid
>increasing saturation when you are adjusting contrast.
>
>I find this is particularly useful for sunrises and sunsets,
>and in general bright reds, oranges, and yellows. I can make
>my blacks deeper and sharper while not blowing out bright
>colors.
>
>Eric Bowles

Wow, have never tried that but I definitely will be. Great tip!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9928 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.