Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9863
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Retrieval of Capture NX and Capture NX2 License Keys" Previous topic | Next topic
Renaissance Man Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2009Sat 12-Jan-13 04:43 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Retrieval of Capture NX and Capture NX2 License Keys"

Laurel, US

My silly problem: I'm running Nikon Capture NX2 version 2.2.6 on my MacBook Pro which is running Mac OS X 10.6.8. It has 8 GB of RAM. I had initially purchased and installed Capture NX, then later Capture NX2 as an update. My disks and License Keys and Proofs of purchase etc. are all stored safely, but 800 miles away. I don't expect to get back there for 6 to 8 weeks. I need to start work within days to process at least 350 images from a set of perhaps 900 for publication. The images were made with my new D4, and I certainly want to work from the NEFs, rather than the Basic JPGs which I saved with them. Well, my Capture NX 2 ver, 2.2.6 cannot open the NEFs. Conversations with Nikon via its "Ask Nikon" are extremely slow, and the answers are terse and somewhat incomplete. I'm told that I need the latest version of Capture NX2 to use these NEFs from a D4.
I've downloaded the installer for Capture NX2 Ver. 2.3.0 and started through the installation process. I got to the ReadMe which states that to update from Version 2.2.8 or earlier I would need the license keys for both Capture NX and its Capture NX2 Update.
It seems that the "About Capture NX 2" pop-up window which I can access from under the "Capture NX 2" Pull-Down-Menu Heading provides the 20 digit License Key for the Capture NX 2 Update down in the lower part of the window, beneath my name, which I used in registering the Update. The string is composed of four 5-digit groups separated by hyphens. Perhaps someone can compare the corresponding string on his computer to the license key for his Capture NX 2 and tell me if they match.
If the above is actually the License Key for my Capture NX 2 Update I still need to access the key from my Capture NX. Does anyone know how to tease that out of my MacBook Pro? Please tell me.
I've seen a post that someone successfully updated from Capture NX 2 ver. 2.2.7 on Windows to 2.3.0 then to 2.3.5 without needing to enter the License Keys. I don't want to risk that.
I recently read somewhere on a Nikon site that one can store License Keys on the Nikon site then retrieve then when necessary. I can't find that statement now, and can't find instruction on how to store or to retrieve License Keys via the Nikon site. I don't know whether I did anything special to save the License Keys when I installed the SW. I did use the License Keys to activate and to register the software with Nikon. My major Nikon Hardware is all registered with Nikon and is listed in "My Camera Bag." Please tell me what there is to know about storing software license keys with Nikon and then retrieving them later. Would products like Capture NX and Capture NX 2 be included in "My Camera Bag?"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sat 12-Jan-13 03:26 PM
50296 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Retrieval of Capture NX and Capture NX2 License Keys"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 12-Jan-13 03:34 PM by Asgard

East Frisia, DE

>It seems that the "About Capture NX 2" pop-up window
>which I can access from under the "Capture NX 2"
>Pull-Down-Menu Heading provides the 20 digit License Key for
>the Capture NX 2 Update down in the lower part of the window,
>beneath my name, which I used in registering the Update. The
>string is composed of four 5-digit groups separated by
>hyphens. Perhaps someone can compare the corresponding string
>on his computer to the license key for his Capture NX 2 and
>tell me if they match.

Not at all, Capture shows the four 5-digit code, but you need the whole five 5-digit code. The last one is missing in "About Capture NX2".

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Sat 12-Jan-13 06:59 PM
780 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Retrieval of Capture NX and Capture NX2 License Keys"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 12-Jan-13 07:02 PM by kennoll

Seattle, US

>I recently read somewhere on a Nikon site that one can store
>License Keys on the Nikon site then retrieve then when
>necessary. I can't find that statement now, and can't find
>instruction on how to store or to retrieve License Keys via
>the Nikon site. I don't know whether I did anything special
>to save the License Keys when I installed the SW. I did use
>the License Keys to activate and to register the software with
>Nikon. My major Nikon Hardware is all registered with Nikon
>and is listed in "My Camera Bag." Please tell me
>what there is to know about storing software license keys with
>Nikon and then retrieving them later. Would products like
>Capture NX and Capture NX 2 be included in "My Camera
>Bag?"
>

Go to www.nikonusa.com then to SERVICE & SUPPORT. Scroll to the bottom where, under the Service & Support column (center), you will see MyNikon. Click on that link. You will be taken to a page where a "Sign in" box will be on the right side. If you have registered with Nikon and created an account then use that sign in ID (typically your email address) and password. The next screen will have several tabs. The third tab is "My Camera Bag". Click on that and a list of products that you have registered/entered will show up. The software entries will include the full 25-digit activation key string for that software app.

I recommend to anyone that has a vested (invested?) interest in their Nikon gear to take advantage of this tool. Once it is set up it is a great tool for keeping your inventory and easy to update for each purchase. Good for insurance purposes, knowing what you have, serials numbers, when/where purchased, and, such as in this case, accessing activation codes for re-installing software.

Go Hawks!

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sat 12-Jan-13 11:09 PM
50296 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Retrieval of Capture NX and Capture NX2 License Keys"
In response to Reply # 2

East Frisia, DE

Good advice, Ken

I had already registered my Nikon cameras and lenses, but forgot about the software. Now registered.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Sun 13-Jan-13 01:47 AM
780 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Retrieval of Capture NX and Capture NX2 License Keys"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 13-Jan-13 02:14 AM by kennoll

Seattle, US

Good for you Gerold! At least you and I can sleep a nano better at night.

One other thing I do is to use password vault software for recording the sites I regularly visit and their associated ID's and password(s). The vault is encrypted so no worries about hackers.

Nikon is one of the entries. Besides the usual ID, password, and access URL, I keep software purchase dates, activation codes, site password change dates, and whatever else I feel I would need, recorded in the Notes section.

There's other entries such as Adobe (Lightroom, PSE 10), B&H, Microsoft (Win 7), and a bunch of other retailers, services, etc.

My camera hardware inventory is on a standard Excel spreadsheet. Easy to submit to the insurer for getting coverage. Also good for me to see what I bought, who I bought from, when, how much, and what. The why is, typically, due to NAS..

I think these are some ways to help protect the investments we make in hardware and software resources, or, the tools of our trade or serious vocation.

Go Hawks!

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

Renaissance Man Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2009Sun 13-Jan-13 04:33 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Retrieval of Capture NX and Capture NX2 License Keys"
In response to Reply # 1

Laurel, US

>>It seems that the "About Capture NX 2" pop-up window
>>which I can access from under the "Capture NX 2"
>>Pull-Down-Menu Heading provides the 20 digit License
>>Key for the Capture NX 2 Update down in the lower
>>part of the window, beneath my name, which I used
>>in registering the Update. The string is composed
>>of four 5-digit groups separated by hyphens.
>>
>>Perhaps someone can compare the corresponding
>>string on his computer to the license key for his
>>Capture NX 2 and tell me if they match.

>Not at all, Capture shows the four 5-digit code, but you need
>the whole five 5-digit code. The last one is missing in
>"About Capture NX2".

Thanks Gerold. I had thought that the key was 25 digits before seeing just the 20. Now I understand that part of the key is not displayed in that "About Capture NX 2" window.

-- Tom

Renaissance Man Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2009Sun 13-Jan-13 04:45 AM
#6. "RE: Retrieval of Capture NX and Capture NX2 License Keys"
In response to Reply # 3

Laurel, US

>Good advice, Ken
>
>I had already registered my Nikon cameras and lenses, but
>forgot about the software. Now registered.
>

Thanks Ken. I too had registered my major Nikon Hardware
but not my software in "My Camera Bag." My Capture NX
and Capture NX2 Updates were probably installed late at
night during my switch from Windows to Mac, and I
misunderstood some invitation to register them in "My
Camera Bag" in addition to activating and registering
the software itself. I will also register these Nikon
SW products in "My Camera Bag" when I can get back to
base. I'll register any future Nikon SW products in
"My Camera Bag" too.

-- Tom

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9863 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.