Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9750
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2" Previous topic | Next topic
pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Thu 20-Dec-12 09:10 PM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"

Tucson AZ, US

After neglecting to update my Nikon and Nik software for too long, I am about to take the plunge. FYI I'm on Windows 7 64-bit.

I'm preparing to upgrade from Capture NX 2 version 2.2.7 to 2.3.5 (by way of the 2.3.0 full version). My question concerns Nik Color Efex Pro.

I currently have the 32-bit complete edition of Color Efex Pro working as a plugin within Capture NX 2 version 2.2.7. Is an upgrade to Color Efex Pro available? If so, what is the version, and where can I get it? If Nik has dropped the ball for Capture NX 2 users, will my currently installed version continue to work with Capture NX2 version 2.3.5?

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but the forum "Search" button isn't working on Chrome (maybe I need to restart the browser).

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 20-Dec-12 10:12 PM
6060 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Color Efex Pro 3 for Capture NX2 is what you need to work with 64 bit CNX. Try looking for it here: http://www.niksoftware.com/cepnx/usa/entry.php

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Thu 20-Dec-12 10:23 PM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 1

Tucson AZ, US

That's what I thought, but the download page (the link you gave) says "This product is not available anymore!"

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 20-Dec-12 10:30 PM
14695 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 2

Colorado Springs, US

Downloads are still available for it if you registered it and have an account on the Nik site. In that case, just sign in, and you'll see a download link. If you purchased it, but didn't register it or don't have a Nik account, sign up for an account and register Color Efex using the product key you have. You should then be able to download it.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Fri 21-Dec-12 12:03 AM
#4. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 3

Tucson AZ, US

Thanks, Rick. Signing in did the trick. However I'm pretty sure the version offered for download is identical to the one I have installed.

I'm confused regarding 32- vs. 64-bit versions. My current version of CNX2 and CEP are both under Program Files(x86), so I assume they're 32-bit software. Will I have compatibility problems if I install the 64-bit CNX2 2.3.5? Or will it function properly with the CEP x86 common files?

Thanks for your help!

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 21-Dec-12 12:15 AM
6060 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 4

Tacoma, US

Once you install CNX 64 bit, you then need to install the CEP update so it recognizes the new installation of CNX. In my case, on 2 computers, the installation and programs worked flawlessly.

Mick
or

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Fri 21-Dec-12 05:16 PM
#6. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 5

Tucson AZ, US

Thanks, Mick, I will try what you suggest. Just to make sure I understand:

(1) upgrade CNX2 to 64-bit version 2.3.5
(2) uninstall CEP
(3) reinstall CEP

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 21-Dec-12 06:08 PM
#7. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 6

Tacoma, US

No need to uninstall CEP first.

Mick
or

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Fri 21-Dec-12 06:11 PM
#8. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 7

Tucson AZ, US

Thanks again, Rick. I'll post when I'm done with the upgrades.

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Tue 01-Jan-13 05:35 PM
#9. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 5

Tucson AZ, US

At the beginning of the CNX2 2.3.0 installation, the installer gives the following warning:

Color Efex Pro 3 does not support the 64-bit version of Capture NX 2. To continue using Color Efex Pro 3 with Capture NX 2, you must install the 32-bit version of Capture NX 2.

It then gives me the choice of installing the 32-bit or 64-bit version of CNX2. At this point, I quit the installation.

I suspected this would be an issue because the CEP 3.0 is 32-bit software (the common files on Windows are in the Program Files(x86) directory).

I was looking forward to having a 64-bit version of CNX2, but if it truly will not work with the 32-bit CEP plugin, then I take the 32-bit version of CNX2 because I can't live without CEP!

What should I do?

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 01-Jan-13 06:15 PM
#10. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue 01-Jan-13 06:16 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

CEP for NX2 3.003 and up will work with the 64 bit version of CNX2. Send me an E-mail if you can't find a source of this file.

Mick
or

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Tue 01-Jan-13 07:11 PM
#11. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 10

Tucson AZ, US

Mik,
My installed version of CEP for NX2 is 3.0.0.4, which I believe was the last version released by Nik that works as an NX2 plugin. So are you saying that I should ignore the warning from the NX2 2.3.0 installer, and go ahead and choose the 64-bit option?

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 01-Jan-13 07:18 PM
#12. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 11

Tacoma, US

Yes, the reinstall CEP so it finds the new CNX installation.

Mick
or

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Tue 01-Jan-13 08:06 PM
#13. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 12

Tucson AZ, US

Success! Thanks for your help, Mick.

rquance Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009Sat 26-Jan-13 01:42 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 13

Hamilton, CA

I have installed Capture NX 2.3.5 (64 bit) with CEP 3.004. I managed to download CEP and install my key from CEP 3.002 (32-Bit). Everything went smoothly but my drop down menus under filters are blank. Any fixes for this?

Bob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 26-Jan-13 01:47 AM
#15. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 14

Tacoma, US

The entire filter menu is blank? Or jsut the CEP filters are missing?

Windows or Mac?

Try reinstalling CNX2 right over the existing installation to see if that clears it up.

Mick
or

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 26-Jan-13 01:54 AM
8785 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 14

Atlanta, US

Be sure you have selected an image to edit in Capture. If there is no open image, the menus are not active. Your versions should be okay.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

rquance Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009Sun 27-Jan-13 03:08 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 16

Hamilton, CA

Thanks Eric. That was it.

Bob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gzenitsky Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Aug 2007Mon 18-Mar-13 02:26 AM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Lee's Summit, US

FWIW,

Using CNX2 2.7.1 on OS X 10.8.2, I can process NEFs from CNX2 in Color Efex Pro 4 using the "Open With" command from CNX2's file menu. Of course it's not integrated with CNX2's processing tools but I find this a perfectly acceptable method to use CEP 4 in CNX2.

Greg Zenitsky
Lee's Summit, Missouri

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 19-Mar-13 04:39 AM
12964 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#19. "RE: Nik Color Efex for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 18

San Jose, US

Thanks for the info.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9750 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.