Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9510
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Memory related message in NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
ornate_wrasse Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2006Sun 28-Oct-12 03:02 AM
378 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Memory related message in NX2"

Portland, US

I use Photo Mechanic to ingest and rate my images before editing them in NX2. As soon as I begin to edit an image in NX2, I get the following message:

"The drive that the Temporary Folder is on is nearly full. In order to ensure maximum functionality, please either clear some space off of this drive or change the Temporary Folder to a drive with more available space."

I'm using a Mac OSX 10.6.8 and have an external drive that has a lot more room on it. I'd like to move the Temporary Folder to this drive. Does anyone know where in the Finder is the Temporary Folder? I can't seem to find it.

Thank you!

Ellen

http://www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse/galleries

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 28-Oct-12 03:24 AM
6057 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Memory related message in NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

This, unfortunately, is a common error message that many of us get. I have been able to just ignore it, and CNX keeps working just fine, but I am on Win 7 64bit. My appears almost exclusively when duplicating Control Points.

Hopefully, at some point, Nikon will fix this.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

ornate_wrasse Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2006Sun 28-Oct-12 06:13 AM
378 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Memory related message in NX2"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 28-Oct-12 06:13 AM by ornate_wrasse

Portland, US

Thanks Mick! I see you also live in the Pacific Northwest

I had no idea it was a common error message that many NX users get. In my case, though, it appears as soon as I open up the image in NX to edit it after looking at the image in Photo Mechanic. It doesn't seem to matter what kinds of edit steps I use, as the the message appears even before I start to edit the image.

So far, though, NX has not crashed. That's a good thing, I guess

Ellen

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 28-Oct-12 08:40 AM
34762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Memory related message in NX2"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 28-Oct-12 08:44 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Go to Edit > Preferences > General
There you can select your external drive for temporary data.
Both my laptop and PC seem to fly because I also send the temp TIFF files into the external drive and keep the images in yet another external drive.
The main local disk is just for programs (even if SSD).

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

ornate_wrasse Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2006Tue 30-Oct-12 08:19 PM
#4. "RE: Memory related message in NX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Portland, US

>Go to Edit > Preferences > General
>There you can select your external drive for temporary data.

I went to Preferences>General and couldn't find any place to select my external drive for temporary data. There were choices like Default web browser, Default search engine, etc but nothing to indicate the drive for temporary data. Which OSX version are you using?

Thanks.

Ellen

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 01-Nov-12 06:22 PM
34762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Memory related message in NX2"
In response to Reply # 4

I work on a Windows 7, 64-bit on both my main laptop and PC.
CNX2 version 2.3.2
Below the screen shot of the settings:

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Fri 02-Nov-12 01:44 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Memory related message in NX2"
In response to Reply # 5

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

jrp - is that G drive dedicated to the temporary data?
I have several small externals lying around and was thinking of using one for this purpose but when I tried it out my NX2 would not open and had to be reinstalled because I could not reset "Folder for Temporary Data in attempt to recover the situation.
I had to ask Nikons advice, their agent suggested I reinstall and said that I should leave the cache in its default position.
Therefore I am a little nervous of trying again and wonder if I should have used a clean external HD.
Hope its not a silly question.
Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 02-Nov-12 01:45 PM
8785 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Memory related message in NX2"
In response to Reply # 5

Atlanta, US

Ellen is using a Mac with iOS rather than Windows. It's going to be a little different.

Like Mick, I see the message but ignore it in Windows.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 03-Nov-12 10:31 AM
#8. "RE: Memory related message in NX2"
In response to Reply # 6

If you don't see this screen you are likely running on a Mac.
Sorry.

Have a great time

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sun 04-Nov-12 01:17 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Memory related message in NX2"
In response to Reply # 8

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

JRP, in your menu could it be that in the Preferences 'General Heading' the 'Folder for Temp data' could be set to G:\TempFiles or similar? (not G:\Cache)

Then in Preferences 'Cache' the Cache location could be G:\Cache

Sorry if I got this wrong, I dont know what I am talking about but getting confused by the settings shown in "After the Shoot" which seem to be written like this

Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9510 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.