Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7593
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Capture NX vs View NX?" Previous topic | Next topic
z1gary Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2006Tue 20-Dec-11 09:54 PM
347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX vs View NX?"

Crystal River, US

Hi,

1) I downloaded ViewNX for free from Nikon site and am wondering what I gain if I were to buy Capture NX.

2) ...and...Capture NX and Capture One are different products from different companies?

3) ...while ViewNX and CaptureNX are both Nikon Products?

cheers,
Gary

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 20-Dec-11 10:34 PM
6892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX vs View NX?"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

1. Capture NX has significantly more editing capability than View NX and more batch capability.
2. Yes, totally different products from different companies. NX is from Nikon, Capture One is from Phase One.
3. Yes. Originally View NX was intended to be a browser and Capture NX the editor. Both share some aspects of the other.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 21-Dec-11 11:56 AM
8876 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX vs View NX?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 21-Dec-11 11:59 AM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

I use both View NX3 and Capture NX2. Both are from Nikon and both use the actual camera settings applied to RAW images. With both, you can change many camera settings after the fact - for example, you can change a picture control setting from Standard to Vivid. If you are having problems with rendering an image, you can use View to experiment with alternate camera settings.

I use View NX2 to download images via Nikon Transfer. Then I use View as my browser to rate all my images. During this process I may make any global edits that are required to my images - for example making exposure adjustments, recovering shadows or protecting highlights. I may select a different Picture Control here, and might also adjust White Balance if needed. And I can crop or straighten in View. If I am working a large number of images from an event or if I don;t need advanced editing, all my editing is done in View. When I am finished, I select the images and use the Convert step in View to convert the NEF files to appropriately sized JPEG's.

For the images that need advanced editing, I make those edits in Capture NX2. Capture NX2 offers the same functions as View in the Quick Adjust section. This is a relatively small number of images - maybe 2-5%. In Capture I start over with my editing. I like the ability to apply edits selectively and that capability is unique to Capture. I remove any sharpening from the camera or View, and apply sharpening at the end of my editing process in Capture. Capture is the only place I apply D-Lighting - and I do so selectively. I much prefer the control of sharpening in Capture - both High Pass and UnSharp Mask. Capture has a healing brush. There are a number of tools in Capture to help you apply edits selectively - control points and smart selection tools can be positively applied selectively or globally. They can also be applied globally and selectively removed.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

z1gary Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2006Fri 23-Dec-11 04:16 AM
347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX vs View NX?"
In response to Reply # 2

Crystal River, US

thanks much for including info on your work flow.

GaryH

z1gary Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2006Fri 23-Dec-11 04:17 AM
#4. "RE: Capture NX vs View NX?"
In response to Reply # 1

Crystal River, US

graet answer - thanks.
GaryH

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7593 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.