nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6423
View in threaded mode

Subject: "I can't convert NEF files to JPEG on View NX2 --PLZ HEL..." Previous topic | Next topic
metalheader Registered since 09th Jun 2011Thu 09-Jun-11 11:26 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I can't convert NEF files to JPEG on View NX2 --PLZ HELP ZE NOOB!"
Thu 09-Jun-11 11:29 PM by metalheader

CA

Hey all, first post here and a newbie to the photography world. Recently bought a D3100 and used it to capture images of a wedding. I used a Duracell 4GB SDHC (class 10) and a 16 GB version later on, for some events, everything shot in RAW.

Once I uploaded the images (and set my card to delete everything once stuff is transferred) and tried converting them into JPEG, I'd get the "unexpected error has occurred" and a non-responsive software.

I can see the preview of the pictures in the software but conversion fails. I have a feeling the NEF must be corrupted or something. I downloaded a trial of "ReaJPEG Pro" conversion software to see if it works where NX2 fails, and notice that it's not giving me problems - but some of the files look messed up. Some are just black and others make people look like green aliens (the pics have tones of green). Some of the converted files are fine though - most aren't!

Would appreciate any possible solutions as I couldn't find anything online

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: also, I'm using v2.1.2 of the software...if it helps. Oh and I am unable to retouch any of the photos without the software being unresponsive (on these possibly corrupt files).

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
metalheader Registered since 09th Jun 2011Fri 10-Jun-11 04:19 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I can't convert NEF files to JPEG on View NX2 --PLZ HELP ZE NOOB!"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

is this the right place to ask this?

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 10-Jun-11 07:00 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I can't convert NEF files to JPEG on View NX2 --PLZ HELP ZE NOOB!"
In response to Reply # 1

Chicago, US

With a current version of 2.2.7, you might want to consider updating your copy of Nikon Capture NX 2.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

metalheader Registered since 09th Jun 2011Fri 10-Jun-11 07:08 AM
#3. "RE: I can't convert NEF files to JPEG on View NX2 --PLZ HELP ZE NOOB!"
In response to Reply # 2

CA

>With a current version of 2.2.7, you might want to consider
>updating your copy of Nikon Capture NX 2.

Hey, thanks for the reply, but I am using View NX 2, not the Capture. Any other tips?

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Fri 10-Jun-11 12:59 PM
330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: I can't convert NEF files to JPEG on View NX2 --PLZ HELP ZE NOOB!"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 10-Jun-11 01:00 PM by sevtcard

US

perhaps you might try the free cnx2 trial download from nikon - see if you can save an image from that into jpeg and then post the image with exif data.
mark
ps you did create some confusion in your original post viz: '...works where NX2 fails.' and your recent post suggesting that you're using viewnx. so, just for additional clarity, you're not using cnx2, correct?
www.broadwallphotography.com

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 10-Jun-11 01:49 PM
10884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: I can't convert NEF files to JPEG on View NX2 --PLZ HELP ZE NOOB!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Your NEF may not be corrupted, but the camera may have some settings enabled that VNX2 cannot process - application of items like Active Digital Lighting and other in-camera changes may require you to go to Capture NX2 in order for those changes to be read. Try zeroing your settings in the camera (no ADL, no B&W or art filters, etc.), shoot a test RAW and try again.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

metalheader Registered since 09th Jun 2011Fri 10-Jun-11 05:35 PM
#6. "RE: I can't convert NEF files to JPEG on View NX2 --PLZ HELP ZE NOOB!"
In response to Reply # 4

CA

>perhaps you might try the free cnx2 trial download from nikon
>- see if you can save an image from that into jpeg and then
>post the image with exif data.
>mark
>ps you did create some confusion in your original post viz:
>'...works where NX2 fails.' and your recent post suggesting
>that you're using viewnx. so, just for additional clarity,
>you're not using cnx2, correct?
>www.broadwallphotography.com

Sorry about the confusion, it didn't come to my mind when I mentioned that line. To avoid more confusion, I am NOT using cnx2. Anyway, I shall try using a trial version and see if I can do what you suggested.

metalheader Registered since 09th Jun 2011Fri 10-Jun-11 05:39 PM
#7. "RE: I can't convert NEF files to JPEG on View NX2 --PLZ HELP ZE NOOB!"
In response to Reply # 5

CA

>Your NEF may not be corrupted, but the camera may have some
>settings enabled that VNX2 cannot process - application of
>items like Active Digital Lighting and other in-camera changes
>may require you to go to Capture NX2 in order for those
>changes to be read. Try zeroing your settings in the camera
>(no ADL, no B&W or art filters, etc.), shoot a test RAW
>and try again.

For most of the events, I used Auto mode (as I have yet to get quick with the manual mode and used the DSLR for quality images). However when I use manual, only setting that I keep on auto is the white balance setting.

I'll check out CNX2 later on today and see what you mean by watching for changes to be read.

Thanks

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Fri 10-Jun-11 07:18 PM
52549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: I can't convert NEF files to JPEG on View NX2 --PLZ HELP ZE NOOB!"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

I would say, save your files, delete View NX 2 and re-install View NX 2.

Then try again.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

metalheader Registered since 09th Jun 2011Fri 10-Jun-11 07:48 PM
#9. "RE: I can't convert NEF files to JPEG on View NX2 --PLZ HELP ZE NOOB!"
In response to Reply # 8

CA

>I would say, save your files, delete View NX 2 and re-install
>View NX 2.
>
>Then try again.
>
>
>
>
Yup, already tried that twice with no luck. Thanks though!

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Fri 10-Jun-11 08:30 PM
52549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: I can't convert NEF files to JPEG on View NX2 --PLZ HELP ZE NOOB!"
In response to Reply # 9

East Frisia, DE

Have you download the software with active anti-virus software. ?

Deactivate the anti-virus software while downloading.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

fisherd80fun Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2009Fri 10-Jun-11 11:16 PM
500 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: I can't convert NEF files to JPEG on View NX2 --PLZ HELP ZE NOOB!"
In response to Reply # 0

Essex, US

I had a VERY bad problem with some of my pictures and discovered that the card reader was the problem....Just a thought.......

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 11-Jun-11 01:02 PM
8925 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: I can't convert NEF files to JPEG on View NX2 --PLZ HELP ZE NOOB!"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I have several ideas.

I'm assuming you are running the latest version of View NX2.

You mentioned converting from NEF to JPEG. Does it render NEF's appropriately? If so, what steps did you use for conversion? It's possible the conversion created a bad JPEG - but not likely unless it was interrupted. I normally just select the NEF images to be converted and use the Batch function in View NX2. Even better - try converting a single image at a time.

If the NEF's are not rendering properly, it's likely something they are corrupted. The most likely errors are either corruption during import or a faulty card. We see a lot of reports of bad SD and CF cards. There are a few reports of problems with good cards. There is not much you can do with a bad card. You can try a variety of Rescue and Recovery programs. The basic thought is only buy cards from a reliable dealer - and don't look for bargains that are too cheap.

If you have good files, you should be able to view them accurately. It's possible to create green tones through an imporper setting of White Balance and Tint - but you would have to really mess up your settings to do that. If so, you should be able to go into View NX2 and select an Auto WB and a Standard Picture Control setting and render a good image. If that works, the issue is simply bad camera settings and all can be fixed.

If the software is unresponsive, be sure you have enough RAM and are processing a single image at a time. Process the image, save it, and then convert it to a JPEG. Some steps can be memory intensive - I've found Straighten is sometimes a problem.

One more thing. Is the camera working properly and do you have the same problme with fresh images? My concern is a bad SD card and it woudl be great if you could test the camerea and software with a card that is known to be good.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

whoscomingwithme Registered since 15th Oct 2012Mon 15-Oct-12 07:41 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: I can't convert NEF files to JPEG on View NX2 --PLZ HELP ZE NOOB!"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Just ran into this problem. For me it was an incredibly easy fix.

Make sure that the output folder still exists! Sometimes when I process I move stuff around between harddrives or final folders. If the folder you are outputting to doesnt exist anymore, you will get the error message that makes it seem like there is a more fundamental problem.

Evan

duh59 Silver Member Charter MemberTue 23-Oct-12 06:21 PM
547 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: I can't convert NEF files to JPEG on View NX2 --PLZ HELP ZE NOOB!"
In response to Reply # 13

Rochester, US

Evan, welcome to Nikonians.

Please note that the post you responded to is almost 1 1/2 years old.
I have done that a time or two myself.

Virge

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6423 Previous topic | Next topic