Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5172
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Wish list for NX3" Previous topic | Next topic
DNissen Registered since 18th Jan 2006Mon 24-Jan-11 01:50 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wish list for NX3"
Mon 24-Jan-11 11:12 PM by DNissen

Cranbury, US

Perspective & keystone adjustment in CROP.

Walker Evans did rural churches by centering the image (violating the rule of thirds) and straightened the verticals to take the observer out of the image.

This "objectified" the church image very powerfully.

I like to straighten the verticals to do this in lots of images.

David
BearPrint Images

David Nissen

BearPrintImages
www.bearprint.org
david@bearprint.org

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Mon 24-Jan-11 02:39 PM
2761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 0

Aliso Viejo, US

All I want are Rulers and for the image to open full screen not in a box (can't figure out what else to call the box). More speed would be nice too but not holding my breath.

Hecky

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Mon 24-Jan-11 03:45 PM
1002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

I second perspective control!

I would like to have a decent browser "built in" - more like or, better still, exactly like VNX2.

I would prefer a crop tool with actions similar to the one in VNX2.

I would really like to have a semi-transparent panel that could be called up (by pressing i as in VNX) which would give a quick summary of image details - similar to VNX.

It would be great to be able to open a batch of say a dozen images and work on them as a group...

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Mon 24-Jan-11 06:21 PM
3225 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 2

Mankato, US

Creative watermarking!

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Mon 24-Jan-11 08:11 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 0

US

1. Fix the crop bug (control points and brushed selections)

2. Re-arrange edit steps

my Nikonians gallery.

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Mon 24-Jan-11 08:24 PM
3709 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

In addition to new features mentioned above, I like to be able to insert edit steps into an existing list, not just add them at the end of the list. We had insert in Capture NX, but it disappeared with Capture NX2.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

bobtail Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Sep 2006Tue 25-Jan-11 04:09 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 5

Axminster, GB

I really would like to be able to open a greyscale image in CNX2. I can do it in VNX &VNX2 but not CNX2.
Chris.

lovemy8514 Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2007Tue 25-Jan-11 07:40 PM
2418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 0

Columbia, US

I just wish they'd release it. Hopefully it is faster than NX2, and that it works with all of Nik softwares plug-ins. Wishful thinking for sure!

J a m e s
My Gallery

Using his camera as a pen, it is the photographer's job to tell a story: Each page authored in frozen moments of time.

All of my work is dedicated to my father, Terry Lee Geib (1943-2009)

DNissen Registered since 18th Jan 2006Tue 25-Jan-11 07:47 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 0

Cranbury, US

While I am at it, I wish Photo Mechanic would come out with their data asset organizer with keyword sorting and categories soon, so I can get out of LR.

David
BearPrint Images

David Nissen

BearPrintImages
www.bearprint.org
david@bearprint.org

KolinP Silver Member Nikonian since 13th May 2006Thu 27-Jan-11 03:09 AM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 0

Weston-super-Mare, GB

1. I want the NX2 'Crop' Edit Steps to indicate what dimensions or proportions they're applying to my image!

And I make heavy use of Versions, so I can think of lots of improvements there: Here's just a few -

2. I want the creation of any new Version, or a change to the text in any existing Version name, to cause the file to be flagged as "changed" (with the asterisk applied etc.), so I can then do a "Save" - guaranteeing that the updated Version info' isn't stupidly, stupidly, time-wastingly and frustratingly LOST when I close the file!

3. I work on many images in a session and I'll typically forget (and forget to note) the highest-version-number reached so far, so I want automatic increments on each new version number; and it should be a simple "2." (for example), instead of always offering us the same clunky "Version 1" to edit or overwrite. (The actual Version numbers are useful as I can then save time by writing "As 3. but less warm" for example.)

4. The "Version name" should be only the name or a short title for the Version, and we should have a separate larger text area so we can add longer notes about the editing we've done in that Version. At present we can write reasonably long notes in the existing 'Version name' box, but there's no line-wrap, so the long "names" soon become hard to read, especially when we choose to "Edit Versions".

NX2 (or 3) would be the idea program, and our NEF files could be the ideal place for us to add general notes about our original image files, where those notes would not be relevant in the final IPTC fields or in our Keywords. But there's nowhere available - unless I add extra text files alongside the photos. This is daft! (IMO).

Where Nikon includes its own "Maker Notes" inside each NEF file, wouldn't it be handy to have an area set aside (in NEFs only) specifically for "photographer's notes"??

NX2 is now my main editing program and I'm looking forward to NX3 (or whatever it'll be called) because in spite of its quirks and its probably wallet-denting upgrade price, I do expect that we'll get some richer features and even better stability.

Sadly (as a part-time computer programmer) I'll predict that the much yearned-for "crop bug fix" will not arrive for a long time ... if ever! It would take a lot of in-memory data storage and much cross-referencing of pixel co-ordinates (meaning even more demand on CPU resources than at present) to keep track of our many Control Points as we adjusted and changed our image proportions. That's quite a tough programming call, I think ... but maybe the (full-time!) Nik programmers will prove me wrong

Colin P.

--
A doorway to my other photo sites
"Words ... the most powerful drug used by mankind."
So said Rudyard Kipling

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Thu 27-Jan-11 01:13 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 27-Jan-11 01:19 PM by TiggerGTO

Apex, US

Edited to add my most important request:

Please Nik, give us an indication that something new is being developed and at least a hint of when we might see it and what might be in it.

My list is sort of a cross section of what others have already said:

1) Fix the interactions between control points and adding/deleting crops

2) Allow crop steps to be edited

3) Make NX3 compatible with all the Nik plug-ins (although I guess Viveza would be sort of redundant)

4) Do something/anything to make NX3 fit better into an overall multi-application workflow. If nothing else, work closely with the guys at Camera Bits and make NX3 work nearly seamlessly with Photo Mechanic.

5) Make NX3 a much more stable and robust program

6) Enhance performance and improve the batch workflow

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 27-Jan-11 04:23 PM
4884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I'd like everything you guys listed, but I'll settle for any of it and —most important — patch upgrades for upgraded system software to be released the same day (same week, same month) that the system software vendor releases the upgraded system.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

DNissen Registered since 18th Jan 2006Thu 27-Jan-11 10:00 PM
#12. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 0

Cranbury, US

NX2 could include a "Solo Mode" as in Lightroom, where opening a task closes the others. Very convenient in managing screen space.

David
BearPrint Imaging

David Nissen

BearPrintImages
www.bearprint.org
david@bearprint.org

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 28-Jan-11 01:25 PM
6875 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 10

Knoxville, US

I agree. We've had these wish list threads for quite a while. The biggest wish is to know if a NX3 is actually happening!

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Fri 28-Jan-11 02:03 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 13
Fri 28-Jan-11 02:04 PM by nrothschild

US

>> The biggest wish is to know if a NX3 is actually happening!

Neil, I will humorously disagree

A CNX3 is as certain as anything short of death and taxes. Nik is software company and software companies using the consumer model can only survive by extracting periodic payments from its customer base in the form of periodic updates. It is only a question of when, not if

The big question is if Nik and Nikon actually listen to their customers. Many of the requests here were widely expressed prior to CNX2, but CNX2 resolved very few of the outstanding major complaints and requests.

I upgraded to CNX2 very begrudgingly and I think only when I was forced to by a camera body upgrade. I think cameras have reached a point in their development where I will not feel compelled to own the latest and greatest. I only hope Nik and Nikon realize that there are many like me and actually respond to our requests.

my Nikonians gallery.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 29-Jan-11 01:26 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Wish list for NX3"

Kingston, CA

>4) Do something/anything to make NX3 fit better into an
>overall multi-application workflow. If nothing else, work
>closely with the guys at Camera Bits and make NX3 work nearly
>seamlessly with Photo Mechanic.

Hopefully this is not a thread hijacking: what is it about Capture NX2 that would make it work better with Photo Mechanic? I have recently bought PM and really like it and can't see anything, yet, that could be improved in terms of NX2 integration. I do believe there must be stuff; just wondering what it is.

Cheers,
Peter

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 29-Jan-11 01:28 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 9

Kingston, CA

>NX2 is now my main editing program and I'm looking forward to
>NX3 (or whatever it'll be called) because in spite of its
>quirks and its probably wallet-denting upgrade price

I think staying up to date with Adobe tools would be a lot more expensive!

(I thought all of your other comments to be very insightful )

Cheers,
Peter

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sat 29-Jan-11 01:38 AM
#17. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Hi Peter,

At this point, I think it is more a matter that PM works well with CNX2 and the Nikon way of dealing with NEFs.

First, PM fully utilizes the NEF's embedded JPG.

Second, PM has a very sophisticated set of options that allows it to inter-operate with CNX2's color classes, ratings and IPTC tags. And it actually updates the NEF file directly, something that not too many 3rd party apps want to do.

As a result it is possible to configure PM such that either app can change color classes, ratings and IPTC, and the other app will recognize those changes. No minor feat considering the difficulties.

My interpretation of the request you listed above is for CNX2 to support XMP files. Most apps don't want to actually update the NEF file and Nikon won't use XMP files, which is how most other apps share metadata (without updating the NEF).

A good example of this is iMatch. iMatch will post metadata to the NEF, and reads the embedded JPG, but it has a big bold red warning in it's help text that you update the NEF at your own risk . iMatch would be happy to work with an XMP file (and creates them for other apps) if Nikon would.

my Nikonians gallery.

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Sat 29-Jan-11 01:51 AM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Wish list for NX3"

Houston, US

PAStime, Nikon software such as captureNX2 is the ONLY software that can completely read Nikon RAW files (NEF). Other software can open NEF files, but cannot read the complete file (including in-camera settings that you have setup in your D7k).

PM cannot include in-camera settings in an NEF file that it has opened.

The workflow I use is open files (I only shoot RAW(NEF) with captureNX2, then I do most post process editing with cNX2. After that I do most "cataloging" functions with Photo Mechanic.

Hope this helps?

MY SETUP
Nikon D7000 with zoomNIKKOR AF-S DX 10-24mm f3.5,
Tamron AF 18-270mm Macro f3.5 Di II VC LD
and Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) 1:1 Macro
Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System,
ZacutoEVF Pro
Two SanDisk 32GB EXTREME PRO SDHC-UHS-1 (45MB/S)
viewNX2 captureNX2 NIKCompleteCollection Ultimate
Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 Annotate Pro
Vegas Movio Studio 10 Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sat 29-Jan-11 02:14 AM
#19. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 18
Sat 29-Jan-11 02:15 AM by nrothschild

US

>> PM cannot include in-camera settings in an NEF file that it has opened.

Actually, PM does "include in camera settings" to the extent it doesn't open and render the raw data, it just uses the up to date embedded jpg.

I use windows, as does Peter, and I think you do too. What I just said is absolutely true of Windows. Windows PM never renders the raw data.

On a Mac, PM can use Apple's Spotlight to actually render the raw data but CameraBits generally recommends not doing that because Spotlight, like most apps, does not read and apply Capture's edits.

>> Other software can open NEF files, but cannot read the complete file (including in-camera settings that you have setup in your D7k).

Actually, there are exceptions to that. iMatch can be configured to render images from the Raw data. In that case it does apply Nikon's in camera settings. It does that because it can use, among a couple of options, Nikon's software API that more or less correctly reads the in camera settings and Capture edits. I have done that with tens of thousands of D2h files, which need to be re-rendered in order to create iMatch's "offline cache" with a decent size thumbnail.

I believe that Nikon's WIC codec also provides the same rendering function, as well as at least one other 3rd party WIC codec (FastPictureViewer, which I use).

I only mention that because there is actually no fundamental reason why 3rd party apps cannot read Nikon's in camera settings and edits if they use Nikon's API. At least one does, maybe more.

I coached what I said about iMatch for a couple of reasons. First, I can't think of any reason iMatch would render a NEF file after it had been edited in Capture because Capture places an updated full resolution JPG in the NEF. It would only render a NEF if it needs to because the embedded JPG is smaller than the off line cache thumbnail it is configured to create. And secondly, the off line cache images are necessarily very low quality which makes an assessment of "accurate rendering" somewhat problematic and subject to interpretion.

my Nikonians gallery.

jlrsn Registered since 16th Jan 2008Wed 02-Feb-11 04:35 AM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Wish list for NX3"

Up at 8,000' in the Rockies, US

Over and over again I keep seeing references about CNX2 being built around Viveza as is posted above which I don’t think it is. CNX2 was built around U Point Technology that allows a small amount of what Vivenza does but I find a tremendous difference between CNX2 and the Viveza 2 Filter that I use with CS5. I have often asked reps of Nik Software to have the full version of Vivenza 2 fully integrated as a filter into CNX2 such as Color Efex Pro 3 for CNX2 that I have and use. I would buy a Viveza for CNX2 filter in a heart beat! I really enjoy working with CNX2 and don’t like to have to jump into CS5 to get the benefits of Viveza 2 as I had to do a couple of times today. I can wait for CNX3 but would like to see additional editing filters become available for use with CNX2. It would be a win-win situation for both CNX2 users and Nik Software!
Jim

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 05-Feb-11 05:29 PM
4340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 5

Alberta, CA

>In addition to new features mentioned above, I like to be
>able to insert edit steps into an existing list, not just add
>them at the end of the list. We had insert in Capture NX, but
>it disappeared with Capture NX2.

Thanks Gary, I thought is was just me, I didn't realize we actually lost the feature!

There are certain "Auto" things I would like to save in a settings file (or as a default) so that it runs it afresh on the new image, not running the remembered auto setting, but rather re-running the "auto" setting.

For example: run Auto-distortion control for the image I am on. Or Auto-contrast in the LCH tool, or maybe Black-point/White-point auto-control.

Can't wait!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 05-Feb-11 07:11 PM
12976 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#22. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 19

San Jose, US

"I only mention that because there is actually no fundamental reason why 3rd party apps cannot read Nikon's in camera settings and edits if they use Nikon's API. At least one does, maybe more."

Despite my discussions with Rick on Adobe Business decisions, when I spoke with Nikon Techs a few months ago they told me that anyone who purchased their API could read the maker data. In some cases like Adobe which needs to work with a very wide selection of cameras and who had over 20 years of established code, doing so might not be in their best interests, but despite what ever flaws there might be in using the API it is available.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 05-Feb-11 07:17 PM
12976 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#23. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 21

San Jose, US

While there is not an easy "insert edit steps" command, you can insert edit steps without just adding them to the end if the list. What you have to do is save edit steps below where you want to insert new edit steps. Delete those steps, add new steps and now add back the set you recently saved. Not what we are looking for but doable.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 05-Feb-11 07:29 PM
#24. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 20

San Jose, US

I think I answered this in another thread, but CNX2 was not built around Viveza. first there was CNX based uopn U-Point Technology and it allowed us to add Color control points and vary those points by adjusting atribute handles like hue, saturation, etc. Then NIK/Nikon Produced CNX2 which added Selection points. Next a product called Vivenza was produced for Photoshop which did the things already in CNX and finally a newer version of Viveza was produced that added the functionality of CNX2 selection points that I understand also added 2 new atributes to selection points not in CNX2 (Structure and Shadows). So unless I am very much ill informed (I don't use Vivenza) I do not see how "U Point can do a very small amount of what Vivenza does" as all the U point controls are fully integrated in CNX2 and as such any filters such as color EFEX pRO 3 for CNX2 are also fully integrated and can be used selectively. They are all working in the NEF and do not create TIFFs to do their job.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 05-Feb-11 08:12 PM
14700 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 22

Colorado Springs, US

Guys, we're talking about a "black box" that renders ( a la WIC) or processes the raw image (a la SDK). Again, placing this module in the middle of another application will create a situation where it becomes the limiting factor for performance. Whatever your thoughts are on NX2 (and I think it has many good attributes), it is not a speed demon nor does it excel at batching operations. Whatever program contained this conversion capability would have the same issues. We can pretend it's a viable solution, but it really isn't.

What aren't hidden are some of the settings information related to sharpening, picture controls, etc. You can see them in programs like Photome or EFIX, although Nikon doesn't actually document them anywhere. It's entirely possible that someone could choose to read those parameters and apply their own equivalent processing for them. It wouldn't be the same and quite honestly, there are quite a few people who don't even want it to happen (like me). In addition, doing it for a wide array of cameras and camera bodies would be a mess. I'm personally impressed that Adobe has come up with color profiles similar to the Nikon ones when set at their nominal settings. I don't personally use them, but that shows a fair amount of effort on their part. I can't see it extended further, however.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Mon 07-Feb-11 12:58 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Wish list for NX3"

Apex, US

I originally wrote this wishlist item. The guys at CamerBits have put a great deal of effort into making PM work quite well as a browser/launcher front end for Capture NX2. When I added this item, I was not requesting that CNX2 start using or reading XMP files. I do not want sidecar files. Capture NX2 has some bad habits that make it difficult when working with PM. For example, Capture NX2 keeps files locked even if you have closed the editor window for that file. That makes it impossible for PM to update the metadata (including stars and colors). I've gotten into states where I have to close Capture NX2 completely in order to save metadata changes in PM. Also, PM has a nice facility for doing soft crops in the images. It would be great if Capture NX2 could utilize that setting. Perhaps it could see that there is a soft crop and add it as an edit step? At the very least, make sure to write the soft crop back out to the file if you save it in Capture NX2. I've lost lots of PM soft crops by saving changes in NX2. I guess my biggest request is to respect and preserve any additional information that other applications might save in the NEF, like PM's soft crops. It's okay to assume Nikon owns the NEF format, but it needs to play more nicely with others with respect to the metadata in the NEF files.

Danny

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Mon 07-Feb-11 01:40 PM
#27. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 26
Mon 07-Feb-11 05:50 PM by nrothschild

US

Hi Danny,

I have PM configured such that CaptureNX does not lose soft crops. I have not tinkered with my PM settings in quite a while- maybe years - because any change effects how CNX, PM and iMatch more less try to talk to each other. Any time I do try to tinker with it, I have to spend a day or more figuring out the consequences .

I think the solution (and why I preserve soft crops) is that I have PM (and iMatch) set to favor XMP files before the NEF metadata. So CNX2 probably does lose the soft crops written to the NEF but PM doesn't care because it is looking at the XMP file first (assuming it exists and it should if you set PM to write it).

The downside to this is that while CNX2 reads and displays the color labels, ratings and ITPC metadata written by PM, PM can not recognize any changes made in CNX2 because I told PM to favor the XMP sidecar which PM CNX2 does not recognize. It's a one way street

And this is likely one of many reasons why a lot of people (like me) would, at least in principle, like to see CNX work with sidecars. Although in this case there is no guarantee that even if Nikon did update the sidecar that it would not obliterate things like soft crops just as it does in the NEF.

The two apps I have worked with that support side cars next to the NEF
(PM and iMatch) both have some quite complex options that need to be set. I could never have figured out how to set up PM and iMatch without the good support that both vendors offer in their support sites (including forum searches of posts generated by prior users). I can't see Nikon offering that level of quality support and for that reason I'm not convinced that sidecars would be viable in the real world to solve the real world problems of those that advocate sidecars.

I don't know the entire history of PM but I suspect that much of what those XMP sidecar preferences are doing was not written day one; it probably evolved. It probably evolved as more users came in to the PM forums with different problems trying to integrate PM with various other apps. Nikon would have to do the same thing, and be reasonably fast providing updates. I've seen CameraBits issue updates only a day or two after a problem was reported (in the form of a beta release, as is their practice- they almost always have one of these beta releases available with their current patches and enhancements). That is a very different style of support than what I would expect from Nikon, and part of the reason I'm not optimistic that Nikon would even attempt it, much less make it work in the real world.

But I could be wrong; I was wrong once in... 1982 I think, about something

Edit: I agree that CNX2's file and folder locking is incredibly annoying . I too am always closing CNX2 so it stays out of the way of my browser work. Does ViewNX have the same problem? I don't use it enough to have tested that or run across it.

my Nikonians gallery.

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Mon 07-Feb-11 05:29 PM
#28. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 27

Apex, US

Neil,
Your comparison of CameraBit's support compared to Nikon's software support is the primary reason why I wish Nikon would let Nik control Capture NX2 and beyond. Let the software company control and maintain the software. I can understand Nikon's desire to control the NEF file format and the access to the internal workings of the core that processes and renders them, but please figure out a way to be more nimble with the software and interoperate better with other applications.

Danny

Ramd41 Silver Member Charter MemberSun 20-Feb-11 02:57 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Wish list for NX3"
In response to Reply # 8

Morristown, US

I'm with you on that! They've been talking about it for a long time now and it would be nice to see it get here.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5172 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.