nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3835
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
yellowdogpaddler Registered since 30th Sep 2010Sat 09-Oct-10 06:43 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2"

US

I must be going nuts....
I was using the D-Lighting setting in the software Capture NX2, where the option was use as shot, off, low, medium, high and extra. I can no longer find that menu palette, only the one that has the options of faster or best quality.

Could someone help me find this palette please?

Thanks,

Doug

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Checkmate Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Dec 2006Sat 09-Oct-10 10:07 PM
2188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Leicester, UK

Hello Doug, it's in Camera Settings --> Active D-Lighting --> Unchanged etc.

John | Leicestershire - UK | My Nikonians Gallery | My Website

"To express oneself in seventeen syllables is very diffic" - John Cooper Clarke

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 10-Oct-10 12:55 PM
8905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I keep the Camera setting for D Lighting turned off. It could be applied after the fact, but I never use it. It does not provide enough fine tuning and can give unexpected results.

The D Lighting in the adjust section provides a great deal of flexibility and can be selectively applied.

Neither affects the RAW file - it is a software step applied to the RAW file. Active D Lighting is different - it not only applies a different tone curve, but it can adjust exposure.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

yellowdogpaddler Registered since 30th Sep 2010Mon 11-Oct-10 02:45 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi John,
Thanks, that did the trick.

Best,

Doug

yellowdogpaddler Registered since 30th Sep 2010Mon 11-Oct-10 02:46 AM
#4. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Eric,
Thanks... I have my settings on "Low", but knowing that, I will try/test it and see.

Thanks again,

Doug

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Tue 19-Oct-10 08:44 PM
1344 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

>I keep the Camera setting for D Lighting turned off. It
>could be applied after the fact, but I never use it.

My experience is that if you leave Active D Lighting turned to one of the on settings (Low, Med, Hi) in camera, you have the option of changing the setting in post in CNX2 to one of the other on settings or off. Conversely, if you leave the in-camera ADL setting to off, you will not have the option to change the status of ADL in CNX2. Access to the ADL setting drop-down box is no longer available. So, the only way to have the choice of using ADL or not in your image (and I'm not saying that you should necessarily want that) in post is to leave the in-camera setting to one of the on settings.

Russ

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 20-Oct-10 03:02 AM
8905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 5

Atlanta, US

Low is probably a good option, but it has some uncertainty. With Active D-Lighting, some scenes include an adjustment to the exposure - typically underexposing by a half stop or more compared to having the function turned off. While you can adjust exposure in post processing, the actual exposure of the RAW image remains whatever was captured. The post processing imact of Active D-Lighting can be adjusted in post processing - but not the difference in actual image exposure.

ADL is a good function - it's just that you need to be aware that there is a potential impact on exposure that cannot be reversed. It's the uncertainly that causes people to not use ADL unless they are in situation that require it.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

billgreen Registered since 14th Oct 2010Sat 23-Oct-10 02:26 AM
388 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I see on my D3100 that I can turn ADL on/Off but no where do I see where to set low/Med/Hi. Help?

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 23-Oct-10 05:32 PM
4464 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 7

Alberta, CA

Hi Bill,

I did some searching and it looks to me that the D3100 only has an ON or OFF choice for Active D-Lighting ADL in camera. Faced with just on/off for things like portraits/people I might be inclined to have it ON to protect blown highlights when shooting and perhaps off for other shooting situations. Either way off/on in camera, you can always adjust it in post-processing.

Also, just in case here you can download a PDF copy of your manual which is really helpful cause then you can do searches:
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16910/~/nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13948/~/nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sat 23-Oct-10 05:39 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

Yorkshire, UK

>I keep the Camera setting for D Lighting turned off.
At a recent Nikon Pro Seminar Nikon made the point using D Lighting before taking the exposure is often better - because it reduces exposure prior to taking the photo to ensure maximum highlight detail is retained, and boosts the shadows in camera after taking the photo.
Once highlight detail is lost, using D lighting for the first time in NX 2 cannot put back the lost highlight detail.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Sat 23-Oct-10 05:41 PM
3746 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 6

Farmington Hills, US

At ANPAT 10, Nikonians Academy head Mike Hagen said he has ADL on all the time. I don't recall what setting he said he uses. Also I did not hear his reason, not even sure he gave one.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 24-Oct-10 03:28 PM
#11. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 9

Atlanta, US

<At a recent Nikon Pro Seminar Nikon made the point using D Lighting before taking the exposure is often better - because it reduces exposure prior to taking the photo to ensure maximum highlight detail is retained, and boosts the shadows in camera after taking the photo.
Once highlight detail is lost, using D lighting for the first time in NX 2 cannot put back the lost highlight detail.>

That is the approach I use - but with limitations. I keep Active D Lighting off unless I am in a situation with high contrast that cannot be easily managed with exposure. In the high contrast situations, I use Active D-Lighting. In fact yeserday I used it set on High for about 100 images at a wedding.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3835 Previous topic | Next topic